Dry Brushing

C

Cooperman69

Could someone be kind enough to explain to me how I go about dry brushing?

I've seen many pictures of models using this technique to detail items like cockpit areas but haven't a clue how it's done.

Atb, Colin.

M

mobear

load the brush with desired colour,then wipe it off till there is hardly any colour left on it,just brush over the raised area and the dryish paint will stick to the area,the more times you go that area the more paint that sticks.i do it about 3 times to get the best effect

mobear

T

tecdes

Colin. Brush type also enters into this. Hard soft wide thin fluffy. All produce differing results. I found best is to spend a good time testing. All this is also affected by the scale you are working at.

Also tried drying paint & also thinning. Both have very varied effects. Also get some effects by using kitchen roll paint one side & apply with the dry side. Same with a sponge. Got some artist's sticks with little sponges on the end & they work well.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I tend to use an aluminium colour on aircraft seats and controls for example to simulate wear. Otherwise a lighter colour than the base,or even white,will work in other areas.

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to have minimal paint left in the brush. I wipe the brush repeatedly on a piece of kitchen towel until I can't see any paint coming off it. You can always have several passes at an area but removing an excess is much harder

You want a subtle effect,highlighting the raised detail. Its very easy to do and is one of the easiest ways of adding a bit of life to a model.

As it happens I've dry brushed this cockpit this morning. My photographic skills are crap but you might just about make out the effect.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Like that Steve really subtle.

Must have a go at wear not attempted yet. But to me minimal is the key to reality if there is a reality.

Laurie

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the replies guys, and liking the detail on that cockpit Steve, that's exactly the finish I had in mind.

I'll be giving it a try on some scrap next time I'm in the shed.

Atb, Colin.