Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Tamiya 1/12

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya all!

It has been ages since I last built a motorcycle kit.

I wanted to a simple out of the box build with no aftermarket products.

Opening the box I notice the neat addition of a "Tech Tips" for novice builders, with a "bumf" sheet on the Ducati and its design and a neat instruction booklet.
The kit comprises of three main sprues, the tires and some odd's and sods + the decal sheet.

Here are some images of the box and it's contents.

Box.jpg
3 sprue packets.jpgWheels and odds.jpg
Tech Tips 2.jpgTech Tips.jpgBumf.jpgInstructions FR.jpgInstructions BK.jpgInstructions inside.jpg

You are welcome to strap on your racing leathers and to join me on this build.

Till next time, thanks for watching!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ll follow that one as well…..box art looks a little strange though, the back wheel looks twisted.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Once had a chance to get a close look at a brand new Ducati Desmo. I'd been a bike rider in my younger days ( Triumph ), and I wanted to see a really up to date machine. I found that it was a typical Italian piece of machinery. the design was superb, but the manufacture let it down, small things, but the most obvious was the welding on the frame - signs of what was known in the trade as 'chickensh*t' welding - spatter that hadn't been cleaned up, just painted over. On a bike that was very expensive ( more than a mid-range saloon ) that wasn't very impressive.
Italian engineering seems to follow that trend, great design, poor execution!
Dave

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely looking bike, still have a soft spot for my old 750 SS . I rode to Assen, Holland in pouring rain and she never missed a beat !
Will be following along with interest !

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Lovely looking bike, still have a soft spot for my old 750 SS . I rode to Assen, Holland in pouring rain and she never missed a beat !
Will be following along with interest !
I've built the Tamiya 900SS and NCR racer, beautiful bikes!!

Just reminded myself last night why this will be basically an out of the box build because whilst looking at all of the after market add on’s and super detail bits, I nearly passed out at the £200 mark!!

Whilst ratcheting up the whole experience and the pleasure derived from the level of detail that you can shoe horn into a build, there must be some form of economical sense when engaging in a build?

Anyway, I’ll leave you with that thought to ponder.

Till next time, by which some work will have have hopefully occurred, thanks for watching

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I've built the Tamiya 900SS and NCR racer, beautiful bikes!!

Just reminded myself last night why this will be basically an out of the box build because whilst looking at all of the after market add on’s and super detail bits, I nearly passed out at the £200 mark!!

Whilst ratcheting up the whole experience and the pleasure derived from the level of detail that you can shoe horn into a build, there must be some form of economical sense when engaging in a build?

Anyway, I’ll leave you with that thought to ponder.

Till next time, by which some work will have have hopefully occurred, thanks for watching
Out of the box builds are everybit as good in my opinion, mainly because you cover most of the finer points with the fairings anyway, i do agree they can add great detail but with the tamiya kits the are fairly well produced, not to mention the additional cost i just got the new suzuki kit it came with the detail up parts £75 all in !!!
simon

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi ya!

Made a start on the 1199 engine.

OMG, its world apart from the old 900SS / NCR bevel heads! Those old engines were comparable to lawnmower engines in terms of construction and complexity!:astonished:

Here is an image of the NCR's engine...
PAINTED ENGINE SEMI ASSEMBLES  (2).JPG

And here is an image of the 1199's engine!
Duke 1199 engine start.jpg

Onwards and upwards, till next time!

Thanks for watching

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Hi ya!

OMG, its world apart from the old 900SS / NCR bevel heads! Those old engines were comparable to lawnmower engines in terms of construction and complexity!:astonished:

View attachment 445707

View attachment 445708

Thanks for watching
Very nice mower your making there :tears-of-joy:

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
That old bevel engine does look so much nicer though, I reckon. Bit lacking in performance and reliability compared to the newer one nevertheless...

Nick

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
That old bevel engine does look so much nicer though, I reckon. Bit lacking in performance and reliability compared to the newer one nevertheless...

Nick
Hi ya!

View attachment 445707

View attachment 445708

Thanks for watching
What did you use on the bell mouths? And cam covers?

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
The temptation was too great, I couldn't help myself.........

All that wonderful detail!

After looking at my build, I noticed that Tamiya did not even bother with moulding the fairing screw heads, they had given me were decals!! The HORROR!:flushed:

So, I promptly started searching for suitable rivets at your usual suspects, but to no avail.:disappointed: They are as rare as chickens teeth.:tired:

Then I happen to stumble across a front fork kit and and a Hobby Design PE kit, oh really.....:thinking:

So, following my shocking discovery with regards to the application of decals for fixings and contrary to my opening statement, I have now procured aftermarket bits....:astonished:

I'm sorry for misleading you, but initially that was not the route I intended, I blame Tamiya, so there!

Till next time.:thumb2:

Last edited: