Ducati 1199 Panigale S - Tamiya 1/12

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great Gavin. Bike kits always seem like you are building a real one :thumb2:

For the fairing screws, would something like Peco track pins (used in model railways) work? They are very fine, made of blackened steel, and are readily available. Failing that, lace making pins would be useful. They are available in a wide range of head and shank sizes, though being brass they’d need to be blackened. I used to use them for all sorts of jobs on 1/76.2 scale model railways.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Thanks for that Tim.

This is what I have been searching for.

favicon-16x16.png
Hiroboy.com
112_Ducati_1199_Panigale_S__065mm_Rivets_for_Body_Panels_x20_72925.jpeg

1:12 Ducati 1199 Panigale S - 0.65mm Rivets for Body Panels x20 | HD07-0076 |...

20 x 0.65mm Rivets(For Ducati 1199 body kits A)(HD07-0076)

favicon-16x16.png
Hiroboy.com
112_Ducati_1199_Panigale_S__065mm_Rivets_for_Body_Panels_x20_60983.jpeg

1:12 Ducati 1199 Panigale S - 1.0 mm Rivets for Body Panels x20 | HD07-0077 |...

20 x 01.0mm Rivets(For Ducati 1199 body kits B)(HD07-0077)

I did try some guy out in Phoenix Arizona, Mac’s Modeling, LLC, he apparently had the bits I was looking for.
As such I’m still awaiting a response to my request.

Plan B was to use T2M (Tuner Model Manufactory) parts that seem to be only available in OZ, via ebay. I place an order for those as a back up as it was the closest I could find.

eBay
s-l400.jpg

T2M 0.7mm Rivets for Rims (Drilled Type) T2M-1061 | eBay

T2M 0.7mm Rivets for Rims (Drilled Type) T2M-1061 (SKU: T2M-1061). Manufacturer: T2M (Tuner Model Manufactory). All orders are wrapped very carefully before dispatch. Product Type / Brief Info International Money Orders or Checks are Not accepted.

eBay
s-l400.jpg

T2M (Tuner Model Manufactory) 1.0mm Tapered Type Allen Head Rivets (20pcs) |...

Manufacturer: T2M (Tuner Model Manufactory). 1.0mm Tapered Type Allen Head Rivets (20pcs) (SKU: T2M-1039). modeling tools & supplies. All orders are wrapped very carefully before dispatch. Pickup is not allowed.

Additionally, these are the detail up bits I got.

s-l1600 (1)
s-l1600 (1)1600×1565 360 KB

s-l1600
s-l16001200×1600 249 KB

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you view it, I have succumb to the “need for detail”. I was so hoping to avoid it, but that proved to be a “bridge too far”.

Till the next update.
:vulcan_salute:t2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I have searched high and low for the rivet screws to replace the evil decals and I finally happened upon a guy online, "Mac" of Macsmodeling.com in Phoenix Arizona.
Bish, bosh, bash. good price and decent postage and they have finally arrived!

Now I have to get myself in gear and get building!

Attachments

• Hobby Design Rivets.jpg
    Hobby Design Rivets.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi all, it's been a while.
The modelling has been side lined by life's demands but I managed to make a start on the disc brakes and have now assembled one front brake hub.
I need my head read, I forgot just how small and fiddly the bits were, but the results speak for themselves and justify my decision to head down this rabbit hole.;)

Well here are some images showing the the assembly process and the plastic part that is to be replaced.
Brakes 1.jpeg
Brakes 2.jpeg
makeshift jig.jpeg
Disc Brake hub 1 assy.jpeg

I now need to assemble the second front hub and the rear hub, airbrush satin black prior to fitting the disc brake PE.

Thanks for watching! :thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
It's been a while and I have finally assembled the disc brakes!

A slow process along with having my compressor having issues of its own which required a new pressure regulator.

Here are the assembled beauties!
20220424_111735.jpg
IMG-20220424-WA0029.jpegIMG-20220424-WA0033.jpeg

This quite an improvement over the molded parts.

IMG-20220424-WA0035.jpeg

Till next time! :thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Finally decided to put down some colour on my Ducati build and did some impromptu experimenting with the Alclad colours, using a flat black base before applying the dark aluminium for the engine block and applying the gloss black base before the bright silver candy base then the candy red. I'm really chuffed with the results.
Thanks for looking!
1f596.png

Attachments

• Alclad  red candy - delicious.jpeg
    Alclad red candy - delicious.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Alclad Gloss black + bright silver candy base.jpeg
    Alclad Gloss black + bright silver candy base.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Engine block - Alclad dark aluminium + flat black base.jpeg
    Engine block - Alclad dark aluminium + flat black base.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 13

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just had a catch up wth your build Gavin, looking very nice indeed. Having just built the Kawasaki H2 with the Hobby Desgin PE kit I know the struggles of putting the multi part brake assemblies together. I'm also chuckling to myself as I know you have the chain to go as well. :smiling3:

Last edited:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Just had a catch up wth your build Gavin, looking very nice indeed. Having just built the Kawasaki H2 with the Hobby Desgin PE kit I know the struggles of putting the multi part break assemblies together. I'm also chuckling to myself as I know you have the chain to go as well. :smiling3:
Hi ya, yeah I still have flash backs from my NCR build! :cold-sweat:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I’m back… in the famous words of Slim Shady!

Well, I have laboriously dragged along with the painting and have cooked up something I like to call, “Ducati in a bowl” with a bit of an Asian twist.
:drooling_face:

Ducati in a bowl.jpeg

Couldn’t decide if I was using chop sticks or fork, so I decide to just start assembling it.

Here are some imaged of the engine + chassis + radiator assy.

Part assy.jpeg
Part assy LH.jpeg
Part assy RH.jpeg
Anyway, as you can see I have been having some fun with the Ducati build!

Thanks for looking, till the next update!
:vulcan_salute:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Onwards at last with my build, after much procrastinating, sweating and swearing, I had to call it quits on attempting the PE chain that was in the after market kit. In the end I used the the original plastic part using Alclad steel & polished aluminium. Much better.
A link too far.jpeg

The chain was stopping the build and now I could move on!

Wow, what a fiddly build with all the screw on pieces and sub assemblies. Anyway, I made steady progress substituting the nasty rubber tubing for braided tubing, look much nicer in my opinion.

The after market fork are business, really happy with the look.
cables LHS.jpeg
Cables RH side.jpeg
Forks on LHS.jpeg

Forks on RHS.jpeg
Forks on RHS.jpeg

Well that is all for now, than for watching!

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I was (un)lucky enough to have to replace the fork seals on a Panigale the other week. It was a base model with Marzocchi forks rather than the Ohlins in the kit. The full size bike is horribly fiddly to work on too....

Nick

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Well, the build is moving along, actually quite complex for a motorcycle, but starting to look good.
Wheels on LHS.jpeg
Wheels on RHS.jpeg

Here you get to see the layers going on.

Wheels on LHS +.jpeg
Wheels on RHS +.jpeg

So much is hidden it beggars the question, why hide it, but again compared to the old 900SS and company, this is a whole different beast.

Wheels on LHS ++.jpeg
Wheels on RHS ++.jpeg

This has been quite a ride thus far.

Thanks for watching, till next time!:thumb2:

Snowman

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I managed to do some more today. This is one fiddly kit!
:hot_face:

Got the rear portion, seat, tank and top part of the fairing completed. The instructions for the fairing assembly is wrong. You effectively have to glue that valance then the mirrors in place before inserting the clear screen.
Mirror assy & install

Each mirror comprises of 4 parts.
Fairing with valance

Fairing with mirrors

Fairing with mirrors & screen

Had to re-prep the drill holes as they formed rims which caused the fairing rivets to stand too proud, Fortunately clear red can fix all the chips, as I discovered my surface prep was inadequate for the Alclad 2 gloss black. Not enough adhesion.
Counterbore

The end is in sight! Hold on tight!

Thanks for watching.
:vulcan_salute:t3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Don't think I'd pack on that for love or money. Looks so fast just set'in there. Beautiful job Gavin.