Dude!! Sweet!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
as promised the 1/144 sweet messerschmitt bf 109f-4. this is the" star of africa" boxing featuring 2 kits and decals to make any one of 6 aircraft ,4 of which are hans joachim marseilles, the subject of the title.this remarkable pilot scored over 150 kills before his accidental death aged just 22 !! also included on the decal sheet are markings for marseilles personal kubelwagen named "otto" in 1/144 1/72+1/48,so im hoping to make a small diorama in 1/72 with a kubelwagen and a 1/72 bf 109,watch this space!back to the kit ,its an absolute jewel ,fantastic detail +fit ,i just struggled with hand painting the canopy frame.Pitot tube made from toothbrush bristle and aerial wire from my missus' hair!!(shes only got three left now like homer simpson!!)im off to have a beer now,all this microscopic concentration has got me thirsty!! cheers tony :beer:

View attachment 19370

View attachment 19371

View attachment 19372

View attachment 19373

View attachment 19374

View attachment 19375

P1040519 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040520 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040524 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040526 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040528 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1040533 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

S

Satnav313

\ said:
as promised the 1/144 sweet messerschmitt bf 109f-4. this is the" star of africa" boxing featuring 2 kits and decals to make any one of 6 aircraft ,4 of which are hans joachim marseilles, the subject of the title.this remarkable pilot scored over 150 kills before his accidental death aged just 22 !! also included on the decal sheet are markings for marseilles personal kubelwagen named "otto" in 1/144 1/72+1/48,so im hoping to make a small diorama in 1/72 with a kubelwagen and a 1/72 bf 109,watch this space!back to the kit ,its an absolute jewel ,fantastic detail +fit ,i just struggled with hand painting the canopy frame.Pitot tube made from toothbrush bristle and aerial wire from my missus' hair!!(shes only got three left now like homer simpson!!)im off to have a beer now,all this microscopic concentration has got me thirsty!! cheers tony :beer:
Looks great Tony. It must have been hard to paint all those tiny details, especially the canopy without your slipping and messing it up.

All credit to you mate.

Tom.

S

Sky Raider

Outstanding work mate. How much smaller can you get!!

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers tom, it was a bugger,like doing brain surgery on a fly!my grandma always said i had eyes like a s***house rat!!!!!! Im halfway down that beer now,and the next ones a bit bigger ,1/32! cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks andy,i dont think i can get any smaller and keep my sanity!,seriously though these little kits are incredible, you get two kits in the box for about 7.99 and they are so easy to make ,its just the painting thats intricate,oh and the decals,tiny little stencils in 1/144!!!! on second thoughts im not doing the other one!!!(only kidding im halfway through it!)cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
cheers tom, it was a bugger,like doing brain surgery on a fly!my grandma always said i had eyes like a s***house rat!!!!!! Im halfway down that beer now,and the next ones a bit bigger ,1/32! cheers tony
Beautiful! But I didn't know they did beer in 1/32.....:muha:

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
INSANE!!!!!

This is outstanding work, Tony! I've only one 1/72 fighter-the special hobby hienkel he112 but soon abandoned it for the 1/32 version. It does look kinda cool though I can't believe these 1/144 scale kits look so good! Really enjoyed the pictures, Jeff

P

Plastickitbasher

Great build, 1:144 that's tiny stuff well done to you for a) finishing the kit and b) for keeping your sanity :grinball2:

I think I'll stick to 1:72 once in a while lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
thanks everyone for your kind comments,its always good when someone else likes what youve done too.I like to do one of these tiddlers every now and then ,they go together pretty quick and look wicked lined up next to a big un! if you want to try one id recommend the trumpeter 1/144 sabre for a cheap starter ,its a cracking little kit and a doddle to make ,thats the one on my avatar,you can pick one up for about £2.95 (or whatever that is in dollars,jeff,either way ,its cheap!) once again cheers guys , tony:plane:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice work Tony,that looks great. I struggle with 1/72 so I'm not sure I should attempt such minnows!!!! At least I wouldn't have to get the airbrush out.

Well done.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers steve,yes you can usually do the entire thing with brushes (some of them VERY fine,000 etc)although i did once use the airbrush to do a mottle on a 1/144 me 262,spraying through pin holes in a piece of paper!!

View attachment 19393

P1040135 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
cheers steve,yes you can usually do the entire thing with brushes (some of them VERY fine,000 etc)although i did once use the airbrush to do a mottle on a 1/144 me 262,spraying through pin holes in a piece of paper!!
If you played around with the distance of the paper from the model, wouldn't that work for larger scales as well? I've got a 1/48 Me 262 that I'm scared to start 'cos I don't know how to get the mottled finish.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
If you played around with the distance of the paper from the model, wouldn't that work for larger scales as well? I've got a 1/48 Me 262 that I'm scared to start 'cos I don't know how to get the mottled finish.Gern
hi gern, i suppose it would yes,i only used the paper cause the mottles i needed were so tiny and the airbrush wouldnt go that fine(in fact i dont think any airbrush would do a mottle the size of a pinhead?although i stand to be corrected if it will) but i dont see any reason why you couldnt do it on a larger scale,whether you use one hole or make several.The best bet is to have a play around on some paper first,to perfect your technique,the only word of warning is watch out for paint accumulating on the paper youre spraying through,if it gets too thick drips can get blown off on to the model,best to make a few and keep replacing them ,after all card is cheap enough.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm sure it would work. I remember someone (Eduard?) making masks for various mottles and squiggles a while back.

Steve

C

Caledonia

\ said:
If you played around with the distance of the paper from the model, wouldn't that work for larger scales as well? I've got a 1/48 Me 262 that I'm scared to start 'cos I don't know how to get the mottled finish.Gern
Gern,

This link might be of some use.

Testor's ScaleWorkshop Video #6a Download Page

Kind Regards

Derek

G

Gladiator111

Wow, and I thought my Spad 1/72nd was small enough! Well done Tony!

B

bikerbart

What a fab looking kit this is Tony...brilliant detail and youve done the subject proud...think i will have to ave a look at getting one of these :smiling: Regards Martin

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers martin, yes i think these little kits are unbelievably good,id recommend them to anyone. I just love them and im in the middle of doing their 1/144 wildcat complete with carrier deck base and crew of manga style cartoon cats (Yes i know, sounds crazy!!) ill be posting it up soon, cheers tony ps. heres the kit on e-bay, have a look Sweet FM-2 & Flight Deck Set in 1:144 scale on eBay (end time 20-Jun-10 18:23:47 BST)

B

bikerbart

Just had a look at the link Tony...that is insane....it includes flight deck and crew...how brilliant is that (thats a good insane by the way)!!

Looking forward to seeing this one bud, get the microscope ready lol :smiling: Regards Martin