Dust Application On Armored Vehicles

G

Gerry

Good day everyone and a belated HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I would like to know what procedure would produce the best effect in applying DUST on top of armored vehicles, especially those painted olive dab or like colors. And also the paints to be used. I have a finished Academy 1/35 M7 Priest self-propelled howitzer. I dry brushed enamel buff on the sides. I hope I did the right procedure for dried mud on the sides.. (see attached photos) And I am planning to do next a 1/35 sherman tank. Any help would be appreciated:strong:

View attachment 15905

View attachment 15906

View attachment 15907

View attachment 15908

View attachment 15909

12252007376.jpg

12252007378.jpg

12262007389.jpg

12252007380.jpg

12262007391.jpg

Last edited:
G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Gerry,

I saw your post this morning, but was on my way to the doctors office so he could stick a needle into my spine lol. But, i wanted to reply and now that i am back home, I thought i would provide you with a link to a website full of tips and techniques. Now I dont do this to take away from any of the offerings by members here, because i am sure they can and will provide you with some useful info also. However, this is the best i can do since its been awhile since i have built any armor kits.

So, here is the link to the site: http://www.craigcentral.com/models.asp just scroll down the page a little less than a quarter of the way to see the "tips and techniques" portion of the site and then look through them to see if maybe one of them can be of help to you.

Even if this link doeasnt provide info on this particular aspect of modelling (applying dust to armor), it is loaded with tons of Great information that you will spend hours looking through.

Have a good day and i hope this helps....oh and by the way, happy belated New years to you too lol,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

A

<<ANDY>>

Thank you very much for that link Greg, very helpful indeed

The russian guys photos of his diaramas are stunning, he can be found in the armour and artillery section.

Once again thanks

G

Gerry

Hi there Greg,

First of all, I would like to thank you for giving your time in replying to my querry and sharing your wisdom on the subject matter. I would definitely bookmark this site for my future references in my next kits to come as there are a myriad of very useful info.

I am relatively new in scale modelling Greg. When I was an 11 year old kid in 1966, after saving enough money of my daily allowance from my Dad, I promptly got myself a Revell 'Walk in space" astronaut (action figure) Gemini Space Program ,NASA. I would recall it was 1:6 scale. I assembled the model out of the box and it looked great! I had no knowledge of paints at that time and since the plastic was colored white, it fairly resembled the color of the space suit a US astronaut what with the umbilical cord attached to a base as if it was suspended in space, and I was happy with it. But that was long ago. Little did I expect that I would embrace this hobby again after more than 35 years. And I really marvelled at the kits, not to mention the paints and weathering techiques and materials that can reproduce history in a world war II armored vehicle as an exact replica. This brings the hobby to a very high level of sophistication.

I remember I used "Duco" and "Atlas" cement which more often than not, took a long time to harden and had no bruch to apply with. Hence, I often messed up with my kits, as I had no references with no one to ask, (no internet) but the art drawing on the box cover. I recall the only kits available were Revell, Monogram, Aurora and Lindhberg, which left much to be desired.

In 1966, there was the M48 Patton tank and today the M48 is still there, but now modelled with older but more careful hands albeit not so perfect eyesight.

Best regards to the family, Greg. I wish you the best of health and a prosperous new year from the Philippines.

Gerry:peace:

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Andy and Gerry,

Well you are very welcome, I hope that it will be as useful for Gerry, I didnt look through the various tips tonight when I posted the link, so I am not real sure that the "tip and techniques" offered there actually even cover "dust on armor". But, like I stated above, the site is loaded with lotsa of great stuff, each of which should be useful to someone.

Personallly I have used that site to get in contact with manufacturers when i have purchased a kit that had deformed or missing parts. I have also used it very recently ( three days ago) for decal manufacturers so that i could see if any offered United States Coast guard Decals....which, I turned around and.....using a photo of the decals they offered and my photo editing tool, I was able to create a set of decals for my HU-16 "ALBATROSS" MODEL found in this thread: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5022 .

A while back, when i discover that site, i contacted the owner and ask that he list "our site" (this one) in his links. I am not sure if it has brought us any more members, but there is always the chance lol.

Anyway, i would just suggest that you take a little time and browse through the site and you will be suprised at the things you will find.

have a good day,

greg

Last edited: