"Ease up Old Timer, we need your help!" Foucarville, 7th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Elements of the 101st Airborne are cautiously heading inland. They approach the village and have picked up some 'locals' on the way in......

"It just ain't fair!" mumbled the Trooper.

"What's the breeze, Trump?" asked the Lieutenant.

"How come I'm carrying the kid and 'Brush Head' Kolinski here has his arms around the French Broad?" asked Trump.

"Because" butted in Kolinski "You Trump, look like you've been head buttin' those trams in 'Frisco where you come from - And your hair's a mess too!"

The lieutenant spoke briskly "Knock it off guys, quiet, we've got company coming along the track."

In the reeds of the mill stream, a Grebe was molesting a Mallard mum and her chicks.....

So on with the build we go.
As usual I only have rough idea for this 1/35 diorama. It will be peaceful and rural, that's for sure.
Also, here are the players.....
P1230690.JPG

Apart from the nun, you get two bonus figures. A farmer and a second little girl. I'll use the latter two.
The cart is held together with blue tack for the picture. I'm going to make 'real' hair for the 'orse's manes and tails. Yes, I know the bag handle is not fixed. I'll do that after the figures are painted.

I'll go in to more detail as the build progresses.
P1230897.JPG

But for now, time to think about the base.
I hope we can have some sport along the way.... :thumb2:

Ron

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
"Because" butted in Kolinsky "You Trump, look like you've been head butting those trams in 'Frisco where you come from"..
I can see this in a movie.... ahhahahahah that is too good Ron i'm curios to see the installment....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hey Justine! Have you read this? You better watch out if Ron picks up the scissors 'cos I'm not sure he's got enough hair for the horses!

....anyway, never mind the state of my sweed. 'Big Box' have you seen my contribution in 'Latest Acquisitions' yet?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
By the sounds of it another build full of tales from the country, horses, locals and a few US troops
The plot thickens :tongue-out3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to have you good people along for yet another trip into the unknown.....Sort of.

Nice and cool yesterday, so great modelling weather.

First off, the base. it measures about 460mm x 240mm
I've used 'Skip Find' kitchen unit chipboard and polystyrene for this.

The rough pencil plan marked onto the chipboard.
P1230909.JPG

Cut out where required. this will be the main stream level.
P1230910.JPG

The first layer of polystyrene glued to the board to give a start to the mill race and weir drop.
P1230911.JPG

....and we're off and running!

Cheers.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
I am really looking forward to this with your imagination and skills this is going to be a winner.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.

Here's a bit more work on the base.
Using a hard point saw I cut a sloping groove in the next layer of polystyrene. This will form the mill race.
P1230913.JPG

Here it is glued in place. Not very distinct but with this lower layer added, it has given me a weir drop of (To use a builder's phrase I picked up during my working days) about 'Bollock Height' Which hopefully should be about enough for some water effects.
P1230914.JPG

Finally for this stage, I've glued another piece of old chipboard to form the lower stream level.
P1230915.JPG

Next, I'll add some ground work to form the banks of the upper stream.

Cheers.
Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice progress. Don't forget to seal up the chipboard before touching it w/anything water based. I've been burned by so-called "exterior" chipboard before. PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input Paul.

I've almost completed the base ground work to form the water course and the lane along side the stream.
More polystyrene roughly cut at an angle then hacked at with my finger nails.
P1230916.JPG

This shows the weir drop more clearly.
P1230917.JPG

Lane at the top and mill buildings etc. along the bottom....so far!
P1230918.JPG

Next I'll sort out the buildings side of the stream.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
Looks as if you have plan, all coming together well.
Jim
Thanks Jim.
I have a bit of a plan now. I always start with just a sketchy idea, then this seems to germinate and grow as I plod along with the build. All good fun... :upside::thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron, will be watching this as I got the same set...already used the little girl for my Watch Out GI dio. I dea for base looks interesting.

Cheers,
Richard

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The horse and cart approached the group.

"Ease up Monsoor!" Demanded Lieutenant Bilko.
"Can voo take de madam un enfunt on voo cart, silvoo plate? Parlay voo de Englas?"

"Listen to Bilko, he talks just like a native, don't he?" said Trump.

"Dat's education for you." Observed Kolinsky.

The old man looked down at Bilko "I speak perfect English, so I am one hundred percent sure I am able to converse with a Colonial. I also went to Oxford University before the war and I received an Honours Degree in Animal Welfare and Agricultural Husbandry."

"The hell you did. I trained to be a Brain Surgeon, but had to pack it in - I couldn't turn the taps on and off with my elbows!" Snorted Bilko

"That's a shame Lieutenant. I'm sure you would have done an excellent job in putting things back where you found them. Anyway, to continue, I came back to France and became a vet specializing in horses." continued the old man.

"Back home in Oregon I specialize in horses too." retorted Bilko. " I break 'em in on my farm! I was also Hudson County Rodeo Champion three years on the bounce. Had to retire - I caught piles!

The old man suggested a cheap, badly fitting saddle.

Bilko had had enough of this smart ass. "Up yours! Listen Bud, just take these two on your cart and keep them safe, will ya?"

The old man lifted his hand. "I should have said I'm also the local taxi driver, so that will be two Francs for the lady and the little girl can travel for free."

Bilko exploded and raising his Thompson said. "Francs, shmancs! If you don't take them for nothin', I'll blow your goddam head off!"

The academic, vet and taxi driving old man prudently agreed.

"O.K. guys, bring 'em over....... Trump, where's the dame and Kolinski?"

"Seems like she speaks a bit of English." Replied Trump. "....and said to Brush Head that she had lost her necklace in the barn, so they went off to find it, sir!"

"Jeez, why me?!" mumbled the Lieutenant. "KOLINSKY! Get your butt back here right now. In case you've forgotten, there's a war on!"

Back in the stream, the Grebe, oblivious to all the fuss was happily head butting a Moorhen.

To be continued.......

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Where am I , And more to the point 570 what have you been drinking !