"Ease up Old Timer, we need your help!" Foucarville, 7th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Paul- The written nonsense is probably not for everyone, but it's fun making it up. It doesn't have to be read anyway.

Nearly time to see how my grapes are coming along!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Simon, I appreciate your positive input.

Here's the stuff on the vines - Mega grapes, plums, purple eggs, whatever. You choose.

P1240286.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Have you noticed those b****y kids get everywhere with their senseless vandalism? Why on Earth would they want to throw tree branches in the stream?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Have you noticed those b****y kids get everywhere with their senseless vandalism? Why on Earth would they want to throw tree branches in the stream?

My dear chap, don't blame the kids!

In 1940 the mill owners wife gave her children Winnie the Pooh to read as a distraction from the war. In it they found the reference to 'Pooh Sticks'
They just had to have a go in the stream, so they went upstream and each threw in a small stick. Then they would run down to the mill race to see who's stick went over the weir edge first. Oh, what fun they had.

Then one day their father came home after a few hours in the local Tabac.
"What are you two doing?"

"Playing pooh sticks." little Andre replied.
When he eventually stood up from his fathers beating for using foul language, a crying Andre explained about the book.

"I'll show you a pooh stick!"

The children heard a loud crack and opposite the sluice gate they could see their father wrestling with the bough of a tree. He hurled it into the stream. Just as they reached him they did the same with their 'sticks'. Then they all followed their sticks down stream to the weir.

Fathers tree reached the weir first but wedged itself on the lip of the stonework. Angela's stick popped over first followed by Andres.

"I win!" shouted Angela

She just missed her father's well aimed hobnail boot!

Father then slid down the embankment and tried to walk along the weir lip. Loosing his balance he grabbed for the bough and still holding on to it, he plunged into the water below.

"Having fun dear?" Asked his wife, as she and the children all stood giggling at their father floundering about trying to untangle himself from his pooh stick whilst fending off a vicious attack from the Grebe.

So that's how the lump of tree came to be where it is. As you can see the bough was still there four years later in June 1944.... :tongue-out3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now I've nearly finished the base (Sez he!) I've been weighing it all up and decided the road way needed a break from the foliage somewhere along its length.

I hacked off some of the polystyrene bank.
P1240289.JPG

...... and made a gate from coffee stirrers and posts from cocktail sticks. A bit of wire for the fence and rope to keep the gate reasonably upright. Then I added some vegetation.

P1240293.JPG

I'll post pictures of the base so far, after I've had my dinner. Toad in the Hole ala Ron!

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking really good however I have looked carefully at all your recent photos and cannot see a toad in or out of a hole anywhere :rolling: :cool:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here you go chaps.
Ron's 'Toad in the Hole' consumed a short time ago, and yes, the middle is cooked! Boootiful!

P1240317.JPG

Shorty I will resume the mundane business of model making.... :upside:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My dear chap, don't blame the kids!

In 1940 the mill owners wife gave her children Winnie the Pooh to read as a distraction from the war. In it they found the reference to 'Pooh Sticks'
They just had to have a go in the stream, so they went upstream and each threw in a small stick. Then they would run down to the mill race to see who's stick went over the weir edge first. Oh, what fun they had.

Then one day their father came home after a few hours in the local Tabac.
"What are you two doing?"

"Playing pooh sticks." little Andre replied.
When he eventually stood up from his fathers beating for using foul language, a crying Andre explained about the book.

"I'll show you a pooh stick!"

The children heard a loud crack and opposite the sluice gate they could see their father wrestling with the bough of a tree. He hurled it into the stream. Just as they reached him they did the same with their 'sticks'. Then they all followed their sticks down stream to the weir.

Fathers tree reached the weir first but wedged itself on the lip of the stonework. Angela's stick popped over first followed by Andres.

"I win!" shouted Angela

She just missed her father's well aimed hobnail boot!

Father then slid down the embankment and tried to walk along the weir lip. Loosing his balance he grabbed for the bough and still holding on to it, he plunged into the water below.

"Having fun dear?" Asked his wife, as she and the children all stood giggling at their father floundering about trying to untangle himself from his pooh stick whilst fending off a vicious attack from the Grebe.

So that's how the lump of tree came to be where it is. As you can see the bough was still there four years later in June 1944.... :tongue-out3:

So anyway, the newly wed second wife is going to pick up her husband's young son (from a previous marriage) from the nursery school.
They've not met before and the wife is a little nervous.
As they're driving along, the young lad says: "Look mommy! Some moo-cows in that field."
So mommy thinks it's a way to start a conversation. "Yes dear", she says, "But you're getting to be a big boy now so you shouldn't use these childish names. They are just cows or cattle"
"Yes mommy."
Two minutes later, the child pipes up: "Look mommy! Some gee gees in that field!"
"Yes dear, but do you remember what I said about using grown-up names for things? They are horses, not gee gees."
"Yes mommy."
Two minutes later. "Look mommy! Some baa lambs in that field!"
At this point, mommy is getting a little agitated and speaks quite sharply to the lad:
"Yes dear! I can see them, but how many times do I have to tell you to use the proper names for things? You don't want people thinking you're still a baby do you? They're not baa lambs. They're sheep!"
"Yes mommy"
It all goes quiet and mommy realises she has really upset the lad. She tries to make peace by asking him what he's doing.
"I'm reading a book mommy."
"That's very good dear. It must be a good book because you've been reading if for quite a long time."
"It is mommy. I'm really enjoying it."
"So what are you reading?"

"Winnie the Shit"

Just goes to show, we can't always blame the kids!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Was that before or after you started dribbling?
Please respect my rank - And age!

Sorry Andy, our posts crossed. Thanks, but I reckon folks would soon get fed up with my trips into fantasy.

O.K., back to this 'er model.

I've had a rummage in the bag the Matron kindly let me collect from the ditch. Here is the result.
This time I even remembered to glue the Bull Rushes into the stream bank.

P1240313.JPG

P1240296.JPG

P1240299.JPG

P1240297.JPG

P1240302.JPG

P1240303.JPG

P1240304.JPG

P1240306.JPG

P1240301.JPG

Cheers all and thanks for looking in....

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now I've as good as finished the base, I've turned my attention back to what I hope is the final part of this build, the 'orse's and cart.

I'm filling up the cart with 'Stuff'.

Household putty grain sacks to start it off.
P1240324.JPG

Cheers.
Ron