Easy knife blade (and other stuff) storage; also bonus tip for miniature wire rope

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Modelling knives with removable blades are very handy, because you can have differently shaped blades for different applications without needing separate knives. But where do you store them so they’re quickly at hand yet out of the way?

IMG_4418.jpg

A fridge magnet (or more than one) stuck to the wall or any other convenient surface with double-sided tape does the trick. Anything magnetic will stick to it, so I use the ones on my modelling room’s wall for knife blades, a few routing bits for a Dremel, fretsaw blades, one of those lasercut razorblades saws, an AFV Club Zimmerit roller that I actually never use, the die side of a punch-and-die set, and assorted other stuff.

As a bonus tip: note the two screw hooks. If you need a wire rope, like for a tow cable, take thin copper wire from an electrical cord and a drill (I prefer hand-operated, but an electric one works too — just keep the RPMs low!). Screw one hook into a solid surface, such as the wall like I did. Put the other hook in the drill chuck, then string multiple strands of copper wire between them. Pull taut and operate the drill until the cable looks right.

(The thermometer is a car accessory I bought ages ago, since my modelling room is in the attic and it can get bloody hot there. I wanted to know how hot :smiling3:)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes very handy Jakko.
When I refurbished my cave I bought 3 30 cm magnetic bars. Great for small tools, and you can see the blades !
John .