ebay

First Name
Gary
I buy my models from Scale Model Shop but I see a number of smallish job lots on ebay. I wouldn't buy most of the individual models normally but at the right price they would make a good practice platform for building and painting. But only at the right price as in seriously cheap. As I said my main models will come from a proper resource but anyone else buy "throw away" models for not much money ?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gary.
Depending on what it is, and in my case normally Russian I search the web. When I first came back to modelling I bought a load of kits and paint from John.
Recently I've been dealing with Polish and a German model shop purely because of the aftermarket stuff I wanted. When its a kit over a certain value I would always go to well known shop.
Some small kits like the planes I've recently build have come from E bay.

First Name
Gary
I've restricted myself to decent models from Scale Model Shop but I am always a bit nervous about making mistakes because they cost a few bob and the only one I have. I justfigured that I could have a few cheapo models that I dont care about to practice on and have a play. Ones I've looked at are very cheap 1/700 ships. Price could go up of course but I have my limit set. Some aren't bargains in any shape or form but the odd job lot are perfect for what I want them for

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If its just cheapo kits to practice on have a look at the damaged boxes on Hannants or Creative Models. Ebay is ok, but there don't appear to be many auctions on the UK one.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
I spend a lot of time searching the internet for my models, at a price I like! Ebay is just one of the many sites I frequent. Generally I only buy from within the UK - postage costs increase rapidly from elsewhere. Sadly auctions are not as common as they used to be, but you can still pick up bargains, you have to be patient, and visit regularly. You're right in setting an upper price, as chasing prices is the quickest way to overpay.................... It's sometimes worth mis-spelling search words, as sellers can do this, and also post in incorrect categories.
I've signed up for newsletters from most retailers that offer this service, keeping an eye out for sales/special offers. I have a mental list of models I'd like to make, some of them have been on it for years & years............ John has mentioned damaged boxes from Hannants & Creative Models - you can also find them in Amazon 'warehouse deals', but they take a bit of searching for.
Dave

First Name
Gary
Spent most of the last 20 years project managing delivery websites for companies and I agree with your points Dave. It's appalling how people spend good money on websites but never learn how to use them. But I'll use your tips. I also agree about UK only through places like ebay. It's only for practice kits really. I've just ordered a couple of kits from Scale Model Shop that will be my focus.

I remember in 1997 or there abouts a warehousing company I was supplying IT too had a fire. Luckily not much was damaged but smoke had damaged lots of pallets of toys, including from memory several hundred Airfix and Revel kits. They were basically written off by the insurance company and the IT manager told me to help myself " fill your car up" he said, I had a Passat Estate. I declined as I wasn't into modelling then. I know they were then sold off, and the toys, to a wholesaler for a "fire" sale. Wish I knew then what I knew now :sad-face:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
If its just cheapo kits to practice on have a look at the damaged boxes on Hannants or Creative Models. Ebay is ok, but there don't appear to be many auctions on the UK one.

Not sure what you mean by not many auctions John. I've just had a quick look at ebay: Toys and Games: Toy model kits: with the filters Auction: UK only and there are over 15000 items listed.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I buy 99% of my kits on evilbay. I find that you can still get a bargain there if you search well and wait.

First Name
Gary
I was looking at "job lots" Dave. There are plenty of auctions but just not anywhere near as many of that type. Even then when you start eleiminating the odd ones or models you dont want and it gets even smaller. But yes, overall, there are tons of actual auctions.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I tend to buy my bargains from charity shops or at model shows.
Pete

First Name
Gary
I do check my local charity shops as well. No luck so far but I do pop in several of them couple to three times a week. You never know

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not sure what you mean by not many auctions John. I've just had a quick look at ebay: Toys and Games: Toy model kits: with the filters Auction: UK only and there are over 15000 items listed.
I think he means many of those only have “buy now” prices, and you can’t bid on them.

Reactions: JR

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was looking at "job lots" Dave. There are plenty of auctions but just not anywhere near as many of that type. Even then when you start eleiminating the odd ones or models you dont want and it gets even smaller. But yes, overall, there are tons of actual auctions.

All becomes clear - although I have found job lots of kits which were not listed as such. It's still worth checking out what's there though.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave that's interesting, bet I don't have my setting set right then. I'd not seen many kits and no wonder why :smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think he means many of those only have “buy now” prices, and you can’t bid on them.
That's what I was thinking when I mentioned not many Jakko, of course having the wrong settings I wouldn't see any auctions.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As an example, I entered Tamiya 1/48 Mustang - I got 112 hits, limit to UK only - 92 hits, then auctions only - 12 hits, and that on a fairly common model. You would have to spread your net fairly wide to find job lots, but I have seen them...............
One of the more stupid ideas that sellers can use is putting "not Tamiya" or "like Tamiya" in the title listing, so that a search for Tamiya will find them, as well.
Dave

First Name
Gary
I was looking at some 1/700 German destroyers which listed about 6 with a starting bid of £20. However it turns out it wasn't 6 it was two after I asked the seller. I don't think he was being cunning but the listing gave the wrong impression as he had listed the launch history of the real life ships and it looked just like a list of what was on offer, so I withdrew my bid. He hadn't actually stated how many at all except for a poor picture of two boxes which looked like examples. People should really think about what their headline and listing says by reading it before posting or get someone else to read it. Then as you say those that use key words to get in a search.

Ah, I remember when ebay was mainly private individulas like us just selling their stuff. Now its dominated by large, medium and small businesses and often prices are dearer than retail

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
very true, it either shows that the seller hasn't done his research, or he/she thinks that no-one else will. Anyone buying on ebay should adopt the motto ' caveat emptor ' ( ' let the buyer beware ' ). You need to check the sellers history, if he ( or she ) has only a few sales, then it probably is a mistake, but if they have a lot of sales, then they should know better. Even worse if could be deliberately vague, but that should show up on feedback............
Dave