Eduard 1:32 BF109 E-4

S

sprayman

Well time to start another build log, this time I will be doing Eduards BF109 E-4, I will try and add a few extra details with this Kit like engine cables and pipes, plus a few cable lines for the cockpit.

This build will concentrate on Adolf Gallands Bf109, W.Nr 5819.The kit itself contains an additional canopy for the ZFR-4 telescope, alongside the standard Revi, this was used more to ID enemy aircraft at distance.

Made a start on this before I went on Holiday,so now I can concentrate on this bird and get some more cable and pipes made for the cockpit and engine.Thanks for reading and as always input, help or info is much appreciated.

F

Fenlander

Be an interesting build Ray. Have you unpacked yet??????

Give us a clue, what are the wire thingies in the last picture for?

S

sprayman

Unpacked....we got home about 8ish last night, had time for a brew a sandwich and a shower, then the wife was into my ribs to unpack.....she runs a tight ship....lol

The wire will be for the engine cables, and looking at some pics I have also for the cockpit, only problem is I don't really know the colour,I have seen alot of guys paint them yellow, so until I can find a colour pic, I will have to go along the yellow lines.

T

treyzx10r

Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one Ray

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Home and all that, Hope you had a great time.

Looks like this will be one to watch.

Ian M

S

sprayman

Thanks for the support Trey and Ian, this kit has some good reviews, but looking at it all I cant say Im over impressed, well Im sure the build will be more informative than just looking at it.

M

msm2

I agree with you Ray,the last one I had I returned as the main fuselage was so badly twisted and it was different lengths. The replacement was nearly the same. Hope you have better luck with this one. I replaced the Eduards one for a Trumpeter kit and so far looks OK.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Definitely a dullish yellow on the wires Ray. I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle this one!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A bit confusing the appearance of this airplane! There is a picture in Mombeek's "Battle of Britain,Phase Three" of it taken (according to Mombeek) in late November or December 1940 which shows a capped black/green spinner with a white tip and no Mickey Mouse emblem.......Mmmmmmmm.

I've just checked a model I did of this aircraft several years ago and I went for a capped yellow spinner with a black/green back plate and did apply the Mickey Mouse. The problem is I haven't the foggiest idea why I did it that way!

Ray will be aware of this but for the non-Luftwaffe modellers it is worth saying that Galland was already so famous and such an accomplished self publicist that pictures showing his entire aircraft are surprisingly thin on the ground. They tend to be of him posed in or around the cockpit,usually with a cigar,or of the fin showing all the victory markings. In many of them it is difficult to be sure which aircraft he is posing with!

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Once again Steve excellent info and pics, cheers buddy, I know what you mean about the pics, your spot on, I have a few books with some "rare"shots, so I will get them scanned and posted, it would be good to know what you think.So was Galland the only one who had Mickey mouse, I only ask as I have a few pics with mr.mouse on but there is no ref to Galland.

Thanks again for your help and info.

Ray

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mickey Mouse and other cartoon characters were used by various individuals and units in all arms of the Wermacht.We forget how popular they were at the time. Maybe Disney's own anti-semetic views met with nazi approval. As far as Mickey goes there's some good stuff here.

.: German unit insignia

In the context of Galland and JG26 I believe that the Mickey Mouse was his personal emblem. The unit emblem was of course the gothic S in a shield. The Mickey and victory markings certainly stayed on the aircraft you are modelling after he passed it on and may well have remained on others. The good thing is you can't be wrong. As far as I know noone knows the exact date he applied the emblem to this aircraft so the appearance literally changed in the time it took some poor sod to paint it on for him.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

interesting comments on the eduard kit. I had always assumed that they were some of the best kits around but from what you are saying thier PE sets seem to be of better quality than thier plastic mouldings.

S

sprayman

On the nail there Richard, PE is beyond question, but in my opinion the Tamiya kits are a better grade of plastic and Tamiya are far the superior fit.