Eduard 1/48 Bell Airacobra Mk.I - RAF brief service

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Shame about the canopy but if Eduard come through pretty quickly then all credit to them.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The airframe mostly complete - the fit is a bit patchy, a lot of trimming & sanding & a lot of dry fitting.
DSCF1615.JPGDSCF1616.JPG
A touch of filler here & there, but not too bad. There are several bits of PE added - two mesh filters at the rear of the wing root inlets.............totally invisible, I should have used the plastic parts. There are PE parts for the flaps on the 3 radiator duct outlets ( just above the wheel wells ), and plastic parts - I cannot see any benefit to using the PE, it just looks like a fret filler!
I'll give the joints a primer test, before masking up & spraying overall primer. I can work around the lack of a canopy for the moment.................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I blocked all the openings, either with wet tissue paper, or masking fluid. After an overall covering of grey primer, I painted the 'Sky' band around the rear fuselage, then masked it up, after drying. I then sprayed the underside with Medium Sea Grey. After more drying, I masked up & sprayed the upper surfaces Ocean Grey. After an hour or so, I brush painted the Dark Green Camo pattern.
DSCF1619.JPGDSCF1620.JPGDSCF1621.JPG
A little bit of touch up needed here & there but not bad. I'll give it an overall gloss spray, before decalling, I'll be able to work around the missing canopy & doors almost until completion
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Dave,
My right knee (guilty of crimes against small pieces) empathises with you!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After an overall spray of gloss varnish - the decals.................................
DSCF1623.JPG
DSCF1622.JPG

I'm using MiG decal solution, and these Eduard decals seem to be reacting a lot! They're wrinkling up far more than I've seen before - I haven't even put the second part of the solution on yet! I hope I don't have to go hunting in my extensive spare decal files ( OK, the shoe box ) for replacements.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's not good Dave....

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Oh dear! I won't buy a bottle of that then.never had any problems with good old humbrol decal fix.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ah, right Dave, see what you mean :thumb2: Perhaps it will persuade Tamiya decals to soften properly? Micro sol struggles with them.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Worrying unnecessarily - after a dose of Mig decal solution #2, things are drying nicely.................DSCF1624.JPGDSCF1625.JPG

I'll give them another dose tonight & they should have settled nicely by tomorrow!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is as far as I can go, until I get my replacement canopy, there are still a few decals to add, and touching up here & there..........................
DSCF1626.JPGDSCF1627.JPGDSCF1628.JPG
Prop just dry fitted - the 20mm cannon in the hub is a real pest, I couldn't get it straight, then I knocked it off - and now it looks skewiff again!.
One thing - even though the Eduard noseweight seems heavy enough, it'll still tailsit! Maybe that's why it's not in the later boxings!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the replacement canopy arrived from Eduard, I picked this up again, painted the canopy and attached - OOPs, I'd forgotten the gunsight - luckily , the doors hadn't been attached, so I hope I can do some keyhole work & add it without having to disturb the canopy..................
DSCF1687.JPG
Either way, the next pictures will be in the 'completed' section - finally!
Dave