Eduard 1/48 Bell Airacobra Mk.I - RAF brief service

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
By popular vote - The Eduard P-39 Airacobra - well known, but modelled not very often!
DSCF1582.JPG
This was an ebay purchase, shabby box, parts off the sprue, two missing parts ( optional flattened tyres ), a missing decal ( for the P-400 ), annotated instructions & colour profiles, none of which are relevant to the RAF Mk.1 version that I'm doing. Those missing things probably rule it out as a collectors' item, but mean nothing to me.
A few sprue shots - not many, as it's a simple model!
DSCF1584.JPGDSCF1587.JPGDSCF1592.JPG
A few detail shots
DSCF1590.JPGDSCF1591.JPGDSCF1589.JPGDSCF1593.JPG
Note - no locating pins.......................
The canopy, masking & the cast noseweight
DSCF1595.JPG
The extensive PE fret - I doubt I'll use some of the small bits
DSCF1594.JPG

The decal sheet - with one missing inconsequential bit!
DSCF1596.JPG
Instructions & marking variants - not full colour in 2000!DSCF1597.JPG

There are a fair amount of parts that are not needed, exhaust stubs, 4 bladed propeller, bombs etc.
It's a comparatively simple model, the most difficult part will be the rather complicated instrument panel, different for every variant!
I'll start construction in a day or so...................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Well the way the vote went you didn't have much choice but to build this. Looks a decent enough kit.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Airacobra in RAF service was only with 601 Squadron - from August 1941 - they flew one operational mission on 9th October, and that was it they were withdrawn in December.
The P-39 had been touted as an interceptor, but the speed, handling & climb rate were poor compared to the Spitfire Mk.Vb - the type had a long take off roll. Serviceability was poor, but it was a new type. One odd feature was that the compass packed up if the 20mm cannon was fired.! I can't help thinking that trying to bail out would have been tricky, especially if you were on the tall side!
All the Airacobras on order for the RAF saw service elsewhere, in the USAAF as the P-400, and a lot to the Soviet AF, who seemed to like it!
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good choice, we don't see so many of these.

The problem for the P-39 was that the turbo-supercharger was removed from the prototype leaving the Allison V-12 with just the integral single stage supercharger. The best that could be done with successive engine models was to improve power at medium altitudes. It hamstrung many otherwise good fighters which were Allison powered.

The P-39 D could make a respectable 360 mph at 12,000 feet, but above that power and performance dropped away quite rapidly.

The later N and Q models could make 375 mph up to about 20,000 feet, which is not bad, unless you are trying to fight above 25,000 feet :smiling3:

The Russians did like it, but a lot of their missions were at altitudes far more suited to the type.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Dave. I’ll be dropping in on the updates

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I believe the P38 had the same initial problems with altitude that were subsequently reduced. The Russians used the P39 as ground support & a tank killer where it seemed effective. PaulE

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Off and running - whilst the 'sea' is drying on the Knyaz Suvorov, construction starts on the Airacobra. The cockpit major assembles are added to the stbd fuselage, to line everything up.
DSCF1607.JPG

I now have an alternative, I can add the fiddly PE seatbelts etc, or I can add the pilot..................
DSCF1608.JPG
With a bit of careful painting, I'm sure he can look like an RAF bod. I haven't decided yet...................
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Personally I'd go for the pilot Dave. I like to see pilots because, without one, a plane of by this vintage can't fly. Just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm going with the pilot - there's some very tiny PE bits that will be hidden with him in the way - and I can save the 1/48 seat belts for something else - maybe my Spitfire Mk.VII?
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One part of the Eduard Airacobra that isn't too good - the instrument panel.....................
DSCF1609.JPG
It needs careful study - and more important locating & identifying the tiny parts on the PE fret. I can see that some parts will be left out - to save my sanity!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, after persevering with the instrument panels, I can honestly say It wasn't worth it - a plastic part, painted & dry brushed would look as good, and take a tenth of the time. One of the latest pre-coloured Eduard instrument panels would be a real improvement.
The quite hefty noseweight is a snug fit between two bulkheads - the fuselage is just about ready to close up, just a few items & decals to add
DSCF1610.JPG
It's a bit unfair, bitching about the PE instrument panel, the model is from 2000, and Eduard were one of the first makers to include it in their kits. The plastic parts are an excellent fit, very little clean up needed!
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looking good Dave!

Further confirmation of my suspicions....cockpit PE is mainly for the builder and not really for show!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress dave , useful reference for when i get round to building mine ( the release with the naughty nose art - i think it will be the same plastic , but its only the weekend edition so no nose weight or PE for me :crying:)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good Dave!

Further confirmation of my suspicions....cockpit PE is mainly for the builder and not really for show!

Absolutely. Little bits of PE to represent various levers etc. which are smaller than a human eyelash are definitely for the builder.

I usually try and fit them, but I honestly don't sweat about the odd one that goes missing, nobody looking at the model will even know.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
At times you have to think that there are evil spirits lurking, trying to catch you out! I had the canopy sprue, kept safe in it's plastic bag - then, I stood up to answer the phone - >crunch< I'd somehow dropped the bag, and managed to put one of my size 11s on it. Main canopy shattered into 3 pieces -totally unrepairable!
I very nearly said a few blasphemies! :rolling:
Contacted Eduard, next morning, email, asking for my address - which I supplied & they told me one clear sprue will be posted to me - I feel a bit better now, but what are the odds on me dropping the thing unnoticed, the phone ringing & me putting my foot on it. (phone call was an Amazon fake call, as well )
Luckily, I can go most of the way to making the Airacobra before I need the canopy, but really!
Dave