Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the Albatros D.III & the Fokker Dr.I, I'm going for the ultimate WWI fighter - the Fokker D.VII
I have a Roden boxing in my stash, but I have two Eduard versions:
fokker 01.jpgfokker 2.jpg

I want to use both as German WWI aircraft, and with a bit of cross kitting, I can turn the MAG Red Star version into a 1918 fighter ( it has a different engine, different fuselage, different machine guns ). There are enough spare parts - especially the fuselage in the OAW version to do this - the only part that has to come from elsewhere is an exhaust - and that is an alternative from the Roden Model!
These are the weekend versions, no PE, masks etc. The D.VII has minimal rigging - just as well with the extensive decalling.
These D.VIIs had the lozenge covering on upper & lower wings ( and sometimes fuselage as well ). I probably won't be using the Eduard decals, as I have an after market decal sheet ( Print Scale ), which provides me with the additional lozenge sheets & some fancy artwork versions.............
I'll put up some sprue shots shortly
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A box full of bits:
DSCF1092.JPG
Fuselages - one spare, which will be used................
DSCF1093.JPG

The rest of the spruesDSCF1094.JPGDSCF1095.JPGDSCF1096.JPG

And decals - not Printscale, but Lifelike.
DSCF1098.JPG

And lozenges, top, bottom & ribtapes - I may just have enough!
DSCF1097.JPG
One of the problem will be deciding exactly when to apply the decals. I can see that the decal solutions will be taking a hit!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another interesting subject to build. I have the Red star job in the stash so it will be good to see how this goes together....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Another interesting subject to build. I have the Red star job in the stash so it will be good to see how this goes together....
Tim,
I have the Red Star version, because it was the cheapest Eduard Fokker D.VII - and still is! I didn't realise at the time you couldn't make a WWI version 'out of the box'. The surplus bits from the other Eduard Fokker has solved that!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good luck Dave!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think I bought that kit cheap at a show for the same reason.....but until you posted this, I didn’t know it wouldn’t produce a WW1 version either.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I think I bought that kit cheap at a show for the same reason.....but until you posted this, I didn’t know it wouldn’t produce a WW1 version either.....
Tim,
the fuselages are different - the WWI is grey, the Red Star caramel ( just taped together to show differences )
DSCF1106.JPG
This is to take a different engine, but the original engine is still included - which I've put together & detail painted. The Red Star version also has Vickers mg, but the original Spandau guns are on the sprue.
The differences only become apparent when you lay the sprues out next to each other............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A miserable rainy dull day here, so I cracked on:
The fuselage is just about ready to be closed. Some spare decals used for instruments & masking tape for seatbelts
DSCF1108.JPGDSCF1110.JPG
Apart from really tiny parts - the seat frame being the worst all parts fitting well, but the instructions do need careful study
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Dave. Keep up the good work.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Dave. Thanks for the comparison info as well.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice one Dave,looks great :thumb2: ,
Thanks for the info too,most interesting:cool:,
Cheers,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Fokker has very little painting, the nose is dark green & the tail surfaces are white ( with green decal stripes ). The rest of the airframe is essentially covered in decals. I just brush applied a gloss varnish coat, then made a start, by applying most of the pale undersides
DSCF1113.JPG
I used Humbrol Decalfix - it's a bit fierce, but there is such a large area to cover, I reckon it's needed.
I'll let this dry overnight & then do the darker upper surfaces tomorrow.
Once these are applied, I'll seal all in with varnish, then comes the really tedious part - applying the rib tapes - each an individual decal.................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lozenges look good Dave. That’s a job that would be very difficult prior to decals being available. One of the things I occasionally muse over...are the lozenges painted on the real aircraft, or were they stitched together from fabric pieces ?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You're a machine Dave and this is looking tops!!! The decals look really good too. Were they difficult to put onto such a large surface???

Maybe time for a new cutting matt me thinks...........

Prost
Allen

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lozenges look good Dave. That’s a job that would be very difficult prior to decals being available. One of the things I occasionally muse over...are the lozenges painted on the real aircraft, or were they stitched together from fabric pieces ?
The lozenge fabric was printed, I believe - the strips were fitted either fore & aft or slightly angled on the wings. Rib tapes were then stitched along the lines of the ribs - must have been a really tedious job!
Allen,
The decals are pretty tough - applying them over a gloss finish does allow a little wiggle room. A decal solution is a must! I must admit that the mat is getting a little crusty - and this is one of the better ones!
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks for the heads up Dave. I have a WNW WWI Halberstadt CL II and the lozenge decals are huge. Definitely will spray a gloss coat on first when I build it.

And here I was thinking all that paint on the matt belonged on the models..............................

Prost
Allen