Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Allen,
a lot depends on how tough the decals are - luckily my decals are pretty tough - one thing you really need is flat nosed tweezers, to handle the wet decals, and flat soft brushes to smooth out the decals - cotton buds are OK, but a bit small for large areas. It needs patience, and you cannot rush it.
I do have MiG Decal Fix & Set, but it works better on smaller decals. The Humbrol Decalfix can make small decals tricky to handle, as it softens them too much. It's much better on the large area decals.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a couple of hours drying, there are several areas where the decal hasn't settled down. I use a sewing needle - it's the smallest, sharp object ( better than a pin ), and gently prick tiny holes in the affected area. I then re-apply the decal solution. DO NOT attempt to press the decal down - the solution will have softened the decal to such an extent that it will tear/disintegrate - allow it to dry naturally. It may be necessary to repeat this several times before it really succeeds. Let it really dry thoroughly before moving onto varnish coats ( although with a water-based varnish it shouldn't matter ).
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After overnight drying - an overall sealing gloss coat.
Started adding the AM decals - these aren't as tough as the Eduard lozenges, and tear very easily - in consequence, it took quite a long time to add only a few decals.
DSCF1119.JPG
I'm going to switch to the gentler MiG decal solution for my next session - It may be easier on the fragile decals
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After some interesting bits
DSCF1121.JPG
Here comes the tedium
DSCF1122.JPG
Those wings have to have the rib tapes applied, top and bottom - and yes, those are all individual decals - I haven't counted them, but there are a lot! Time to put some music on - I may be gone some time........................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck with that Dave, a real task of mindfulness....or is that mindlessness...

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Dave!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave

Good job so far. Here is a piccie of the original D.VII in our local museum. The lozenge pattern is original c 1917. and you can just see the thin rib tapes.

fokker.jpg

John

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
thanks for that - that laminated propeller really stands out!

The lozenge camo is a source of great discussion, whether 4 or 5 colour fabric was used, whether the lengths were ever used spanwise, as opposed to chordwise ( or angled ). The rib tapes could be blue, pink, natural fabric, or strips cut from the printed fabric, so any combination could be right, and of course lacking contemporary colour photos doesn't help..........................
DSCF1125.JPG
That's the work of the morning - I'm going to give this a varnish coat, before doing the underside - applying the decals, you need to handle the wings quite a bit, and I don't want to peel off any off the upper decals - hence the varnish. I've cleared the holes out for the struts on the lower wing - easier to do now, than later.
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Respect Dave,

When you first said you had to do all the strips individually, I thought you would go bonkers and this would end up in the bin. Looking at it now, that's mighty fine Sir and the Fokker is still on your mat...

Prost
Allen

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Respect Dave,

When you first said you had to do all the strips individually, I thought you would go bonkers and this would end up in the bin. Looking at it now, that's mighty fine Sir and the Fokker is still on your mat...

Prost
Allen
I found the correct piece of music - ' The Platinum New Age Collection ' - 2 3/4 hours of tranquil ambient music - remarkably, I didn't have any phone calls, no post & the only break I had was for comfort & coffee ( 15 mins ). It certainly helps with a good chair & all your tools laid out ready!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Did the underside rib tapes this morning - music - Enigma - 'Screen Behind The Mirror & Voyageur'
DSCF1126.JPG
Like yesterday, I'll give these a sealing coat of varnish & let dry overnight . Not quite finished with the rib tapes, I still have the ailerons to do, but they can wait until after the wings are on...........
Been pondering on what I should build next
Dave

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That does look mighty fine Dave! I guess some relaxing music and time were all you needed. I looked at my Halberstadt CL II from WNW and the ribs are printed on the lozenge decals for the wings. A big sigh of relief on my part......

Prost
Allen

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The underside tapes were easier - I'd found out the problems & pitfalls yesterday, with the uppers, so I did the tapes in about half the time.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rudder, elevator & machine guns added
DSCF1128.JPG
I finally fitted the bottom wing, allowing me to add the final patch of lozenge decals
DSCF1130.JPG

The next part is adding the top wing - I'll check that all the location points are open & clear - this shouldn't be too difficult, as the D.VII had 'N' outer struts - meaning that you only have to juggle two parts, instead of four.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The outer struts are added to the top wing & allowed to dry, then a drop of CA around the base, to give a bit more strength - The struts are at right angles to the wing, so this is painless.
DSCF1131.JPG

No real way of taking a photograph when the top wing is placed - I need all three to get things lined up - using Contacta for initial grab. Then laid carefully laid on the cutting mat. I used whatever was handy to keep all things straight. It's useful to be able to turn the cutting mat without disturbing the 'jig', just to check on straightness & squareness...........................
DSCF1132.JPG
I let this dry for an hour or so, then added a drop of CA on each strut base. The assembly is very fragile & wobbly, so great care is needed in handling - I let the CA go off, then added the centre section struts - not that bad, as long as you remembered to open all the mounting holes.
DSCF1133.JPGDSCF1134.JPG
The struts fitted pretty well, but I managed to break two - luckily single struts, that I had to replace.
I'll leave this a few hours to dry, then again add a drop of CA to each strut mount. There's no way of rushing this, you have to wait to let the adhesives really go off. I'll probably let this sit overnight before moving onto the undercarriage, which, like the Fokker Dr.I, looks very spindly...........
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The final piece of assembly - and the trickiest - the undercarriage. Four thin struts to support the 'wing' axle, and no real positive locations.DSCF1159.JPG
A mater of holding your breath, until the cement starts to grab, then gently aligning the whole lot until it's square. I managed this on the third attempt! I'll leave this for a couple of hours, then add a drop of CA to each mounting point.
This is getting close to finishing - the next pictures will be appearing in the completed section..............
Dave