Eduard 1:48 FW 190 A-5 - John

F

Fenlander

From what I have heard, putting the exhausts on and getting it all to line up is the tricky bit. Another case of take ya time and get it right.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
oooo i do like that engine. Coming on great there John

C

colprit

John, I like your engine hope mine comes out as well. Aren't those etched parts small and fiddly in the cockpit? mind you they don't look any better whats left on the sheet. I used super glue as couldn't get gator glue yet. Only thing I nearly stuck was my lips together when i wiped my mouth and some glue must of been on the tissue, SWMBO would of been well pleased with that result lol

C

colprit

John what colour are you using for RLM 76 and what make or mix? I'm having trouble getting this.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
John, I like your engine hope mine comes out as well. Aren't those etched parts small and fiddly in the cockpit?
Yes they are, I used superglue but didn't like the effect, I just received my delivery of Gator Glue today, wish I had waited.

And I know you all noticed but didn't like to say, I build the engine backwards :sobbing: managed to pick it apart and put it back together again.

\ said:
From what I have heard, putting the exhausts on and getting it all to line up is the tricky bit. Another case of take ya time and get it right.
Tricky? oh yes it is, I've had to put it down again I was getting frustrated.

\ said:
John what colour are you using for RLM 76 and what make or mix? I'm having trouble getting this.
I thought I had some Vallejo pale blue but I didn't so I am going to try and mix light grey and field blue see how that looks

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Done a little more, the best way I found fixing the exhaust was to set them in bluetack then dropping a bit of glue on the ends. (No I didn't notice I had one the wrong way round before gluing)

Not perfect needs a little more work but I just couldn't get them to stay in place any other way

Next I decided to spray the wings, I had the instructions in a pdf that I got from Eduard, I grabbed a picture on the top view of the plane, enlarged it a little to try and get it to roughly the same scale and printed it out, cut out the camo bits and stuck a small line of bluetack on the back to raise it from the wings, this should take the sharp edges off it when spraying.

Stuck them on

Turned out ok.

F

Fenlander

Nice trick John. I like that idea fro making a camo template. Did your kit not have a template/jig for the exhausts? The one I got has this bit that clips on the back of the engine block and it has grooves in the sides where the pipes lay. Once it is glued up, you just slip the jig off and Robert is your mothers brother....

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
No Graham, there was nothing to help me with the exhaust, or at least that I could see, I don't think I missed anything.

R

Richy C

Gotta say John , its good to know that the boss of the forum also has a mare sometimes like the rest of us LOL

R

Richy C

Just re-read my thread and it sounds a bit out of line , it was not ment in the context it came out, if you know what I mean

Sorry

Richy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Just re-read my thread and it sounds a bit out of line , it was not ment in the context it came out, if you know what I meanSorry

Richy
Don't worry about it I've just banned you :banana:

I'm no expert, far from it, I learn everyday from this forum that's why I set it up in the first place.

F

Fenlander

Sorry John but I think you will have to unpick the engine. The template I mentioned is on your engine, see pic

The grooves on the edges are the alignment points for the exhausts. Once cemented to the cylinder heads only, the template is removed and the back part, K27 on my kit is glued on.

Please have another look at the instructions, it should say Template Only Do Not Glue.

C

colprit

Graham. I am doing the same kit as John and was about to ask him if this part should be fitted. It doesn't say it is a template although it does say do not glue so it is confusing, thanks for clearing that up for us.

F

Fenlander

This is a quick snap of my instruction sheet. Note that the back part, K27 on mine, does not go on until the template is removed.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I didn't realise that was the template, is doesn't say that in the instructions, see attached

View attachment 22876

Image1..jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Give you that John, no mention of it being a template, just says do not glue. It does thought show that it should be removed before glueing the rear part on the engine..

Complain to Edward. They might correct the problem in the plans and maybe even your build. Worth a try...?

Keep at it, remember its only plastic!

Ian M

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Third and final time for this engine, thanks guys for pointing out my error, much appreciated.

C

colprit

John well done I've just done mine to I will be posting som photos soon, good job Graham knew about the template it looks good mate, keep going.