Eduard 1:48 FW190A-8/R2 Fenlander

F

Fenlander

Well, have to say that modelling has been a bit slow over the last few days, always other things cropping up. Anyway, getting close to a primer coat now. so just to let you know I wasn't dropping out....... I need a week off work to get back on track..

C

Cov1

Hi Graham, that's a lot of details packed in there. Think I had better stick to tanks as the misses will

kill me.

Looking forward to seeing more.

cheers Ade

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That does look nice. Yep,that is exactly how it hinged,see this A-4 receiving a bit of TLC from it's crew.

Also one showing the upper side panel.

Finally one with everything open,topping off the drop tank.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: of course if the panel didn't open wide enough you could get your mate to prop it with his head!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

The thing with the A8/R2 which was beefed up with added 30mm cannons outboard of the 20mm cannons near the wing roots is that it does not have the machine guns mounted under the hood in front of the cockpit. It does have something with pipes running forward under the engine top cover. It does have the mouldings in the top cover where the machine guns pocked through though which is a bit odd. Anyone know what the gun like looking things are under the top panel? In the pics of my model above, the blocks can be seen but I have not put the pipe things on as yet.

It also has armour plate on the sides of the cockpit and thick blocks of armour glass on the sides of the canopy to protect the pilot from the heavy fire from B17s which is what the A8/R2 was modified to go after.

Interesting new thing for me in modelling was the gluing of thick clear parts onto the side of the cockpit canopy, not something you could do with normal glue. As these blocks have to be masked as they are in their own frames, the masking of the canopy even with the supplied masks, has been a nightmare which i will not wake up from until it is finally painted and the masks can come off. My biggest fear now is that paint may have 'bled' between the canopy side and the block of armour 'glass'.

I have moved on a bit now as it has been primed up and pre shaded. Painting at this stage has it's problems as I cannot glue up the engine side panels or the top panel as they will be open. Also, given it is all held together for the camo painting with blue tack, the engine has had to be left out as I have no doubt there will be some spray go through the panel gaps.

After painting and slight weathering, the engine will then be glued in place and I will have the fun job of cutting the side panels into two pieces each. From the pictures I have seen before and supported by Steve's great research pics, the side panels hinge at the panel line just above the height of the wing where there is a bulge on the side panel.

I was also thinking of putting some lead wire on the undercarriage legs for the brake pipes. Would these be painted or natural metal?

Onwards and upwards as they say......

C

colprit

Graham I was going to use some off cuts of telephone wire, but couldn't really think where I could use it so you've given me some idea now. Cheers I might not do it this time but will keep it for future builds.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Graham, the brake lines I can help you with right away. Here are a couple of pictures.

The aluminium underwent a process which left it with a goldish sheen,I wouldn't describe it as brown. If you look on Ju88.net there are some pictures of the tail wheel assembly/bay of the recovered aircraft which have been treated in the same way.I used fuse wire painted with Humbrol "antique bronze" for mine. You can see that the flexible lower portion is a larger diametre hose.

This second piccy shows you how the line ran down the the undercarriage leg. The lower flexible bit is not fitted.

Hope these help. I'm not sure what would be under the top cowl instead of armament,why would they add something? I have read that the gun ports were "faired over". I'll have a shufty and see what I can turn up.

BTW I add armoured glass panels by gluing them with good old Klear. It seems to run under the piece and seal the edges.

Sounds like you are winning!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Re:cowling. The addition or removal of armament was not something done at unit level. The R2 would be produced as that specification. I haven't discovered what could be under the cowl in place of the armament but faired cowls were produced. Several specifications of the A-8 did not have this armament,most ground attack aircraft for example. Here is a piccy of the A-8R/6 in the IWM showing the faired cowl very nicely.

Is something like this an option in the kit?

I'll have time to look in some more books later,but I've had a flick through four Fw190 references and it seems noone took photos of the top of the cowlings! Here are a couple of A-8R/2s (by W.Nr) but I'm not sure they help much! Neither look faired to me but I think the guns are gone.

Sorry that this doesn't help much!

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think that the gun ports were faired on the R2s. I've looked at a lot of images. The best illustration is these. On 1/1/45 as part of Bodenplatte Walther Wagner landed his Fw190A-8R/2 (w.Nr681497) at St Trond. It was "White 11" of II.(sturm)/JG4. The americans were only too happy to receive it and below are some stills from a film showing their technicians fiddling with it as well as one of it in its original scheme. The ports on the cowl are quite clear and not faired.

Still no idea what your "tubing" might be!

Stills are from FalkeEins excellent Luftwaffe blog.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: faired ports became standard on the R8. It was retro fitted to some R2s (Rodeike). The R2/R8 delineation is a mine field.

View attachment 23301

View attachment 23302

View attachment 23303

View attachment 23304

FW_190_A8R2..jpg

cowl 1..jpg

cowl 2..jpg

cowl 3..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Top info as always Steve and appreciated more than you may realise, thanks mate. I can only assume the pipes would be there if there were guns or not, but not visible if guns were fitted as far as a model goes. Could be something as simple as conduits for leads from the engine to the instrument panel or even hydraulics/control cables. Great info on the brake pipes, that and a bit of decoration on the inside of the open side panels is as far as I am going, still further than I have been before lol.

EDIT: Just realised that the scheme I was going to do is the very aircraft in that last set. Walter Wagner5./jg4 Jan 1st 1945 "White 11". However, it didn't have the armoured glass which I wanted as it appeals to my quirky side. I am now doing Hans-Gunther von Kornatzki, Stab/II.(Sturm)/JG4 Sept 11 1944 "Green 3"

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No worries,I'd sorted the brake lines for my D-9. The R2 thing has always been interesting. Yet again two or more schools of thought. Some consider it,along with its added armour, as the standard fighter version whereas others disagree. As for me,I've no idea! It's hard enough working out what it should and shouldn't have. Add to this that some units,despite tight restrictions on what they could do at unit level,seem to have used different combinations of the various armour and it becomes a bit of a quagmire!

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Theres a whole load of detail in this one. Looking really great.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

At last I have started to get this one put together. Had a good day painting it up yesterday with the basic decals on last night. To be honest, I am not sure about sticking all the stencil decals on, I never see them in real pictures, makes you wonder if it really helps to cover the kit with stickers.

Anyway, after spraying the bluetaked plane, I took all the panels off again for modifications. The side panels had to be cut at the hinge point and then using thin card (note to self: get some plastic card and strip). so I put a bit of framing on the inside of the panels with a drilled piece at the back to act as a heat shield where the exhausts run against the panel. I have to put my hands up and say that I have no documented evidence this is what it was like, I have simply copied the idea from Phil Flory in one of his video builds on Promodellers

The card modification after cutting the panels into two pieces.

A slap of paint and wash, then then the panels are glued in place.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Looking great so far, I've lost the will with mine, just had so many problems on the way I've put it to one side for now, will sit back and get tips from you :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nicely done there. Looking good.

Steve

N

noble

this is looking well nice mate with a lot of detail i really do like this.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Graham

Looks like you and I are both building the same kit (almost -I didn't get the history booklet, which I think is a really great touch). I haven't planned any figures with mine, but you've inspired me to think again. I will however try to make mine different!!! I notice that Eduard do 2 sets of Luftwaffe groundcrew/pilots - I may choose one of these or just stick with the 190. Anyway, can't wait to see the progress of your chosen diorama.

Cheers

Paul

PS. Just finished the engine and most of the cockpit build of mine.

F

Fenlander

Right, as they say in the DIY programs, just the finishing touches and then the final reveal.

I have added the brake pipes to the undercarriage legs, maybe a tad over-scale but I only had one thickness of lead wire. It is the first time I have used lead wire and it is a real joy to work with. Being soft, you can press it into conform with shapes etc and it just obliges you. No natural spring to it so once it is there with a tad of superglue and it just sits there. No fighting back or springing off. I will certainly be getting a range of this stuff.

OK, so modifications to the kit are very minimal. Brake pipes, 20mm and 30mm cannons replaced wit tubing(the 30mm are over-scale to sadly). Panels cut in half to display open and internal heat shield and ribbing made from thin card. Not a lot of modifications but it is the first time I have done anything to alter the basic kit so I am happy enough with it.

It is a dark and moody scheme that I have opted for, the grey and green on the fuselage top is virtually indistinguishable on the super Eduard colour plan and it comes well down the sides with the side RLM76 quite subdued. I think I have managed to get the feel of the scheme and it looks a dark and moody beast. Because of this I have left it fairly 'dirty'

Anyway, the flat varnish goes on tonight once I have it on it's wheels so the aircraft will soon be revealed. I have started on the base so that will not take long to finish off so I hope to complete in the next couple of days. Would be tomorrow but I am off to Hinckley Model Show.

The modified undercarriage with brake pipes. (Thanks go again to Steve (Stona) for his superb research and advice)

F

Fenlander

Managed a bit more than I thought tonight so this will be the last pics until the completed 'scenic base' is finished.