Eduard 1/48 Japanese WWII Carrier Deck

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent Dave, sorry about the 1/72 error.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Been under the weather, but I remembered I has the USN equivalent of the Japanese carrier deck ( also by Eduard ). I'd primed it, but gone no further. Anyway, a few painting sessions, and here it is
DSCF1727.JPG

Couldn't resist putting the recently finished Hellcat on it!
DSCF1729.JPGDSCF1730.JPG

It's supposed to be the aft lift of an 'Essex' Class Carrier - the lift is off centre to the deck...............
I was thinking, what aircraft could be used with this - a Wildcat ( a bit early ), A Hellcat, Corsair, Dauntless, Avenger & Helldiver - as it happens I have one of each in the stash - apart from the Helldiver, and I discovered why! I was moaning about no 1/48 Japanese carrier planes - The SB2C Helldiver is worse. As far as I can see, the SB2C has only been modelled by Monogram, in 1961, and ProModeler in 1997. These two models have been reboxed by Accurate Miniatures, Revell, Hasegawa, but that's it - and the only one I've seen recently was the Monogram version, going for collectors' prices! Very odd, this aircraft was in frontline service & over 7000 were mode, yet no new models! ( Maybe it was that it was disliked by it's crew? )
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done Dave.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep,gets my vote too Dave:thumb2:,
That really looks the part,a great little display with the Hellcat,(which is also very nicely done BTW),on it:cool:.
Hope you feel better soon mate,this diabetes thing can be a real pain in the butt sometimes:disappointed2: ,
Andy

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yep,gets my vote too Dave:thumb2:,
That really looks the part,a great little display with the Hellcat,(which is also very nicely done BTW),on it:cool:.
Hope you feel better soon mate,this diabetes thing can be a real pain in the butt sometimes:disappointed2: ,
Andy
Andy,
yes, this is my 22nd year since being diagnosed, I have always had ups & downs, but as I get older the recovery from the downs takes longer.........................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry to read about the diabetes Dave, hope your feeling better soon.

Like the deck and the Hell cat, certainly looks better displayed like that.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Been under the weather, but I remembered I has the USN equivalent of the Japanese carrier deck ( also by Eduard ). I'd primed it, but gone no further. Anyway, a few painting sessions, and here it is
View attachment 425298

Couldn't resist putting the recently finished Hellcat on it!
View attachment 425296View attachment 425297

It's supposed to be the aft lift of an 'Essex' Class Carrier - the lift is off centre to the deck...............
I was thinking, what aircraft could be used with this - a Wildcat ( a bit early ), A Hellcat, Corsair, Dauntless, Avenger & Helldiver - as it happens I have one of each in the stash - apart from the Helldiver, and I discovered why! I was moaning about no 1/48 Japanese carrier planes - The SB2C Helldiver is worse. As far as I can see, the SB2C has only been modelled by Monogram, in 1961, and ProModeler in 1997. These two models have been reboxed by Accurate Miniatures, Revell, Hasegawa, but that's it - and the only one I've seen recently was the Monogram version, going for collectors' prices! Very odd, this aircraft was in frontline service & over 7000 were mode, yet no new models! ( Maybe it was that it was disliked by it's crew? )
Dave
Lovely stuff here Dave....an early war aircraft you’ve missed off your list is the Vindicator dive bomber. Not sure if that’s kitted either.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking up the Essex class, USS Essex was used for the Apollo seven recovery, so you could go with that for something more “off the wall”?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lovely stuff here Dave....an early war aircraft you’ve missed off your list is the Vindicator dive bomber. Not sure if that’s kitted either.....
Tim,
Academy did a reboxing of the very nice Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Vindicator ( I have one in the stash! ), but I limited the period of the carrier deck fromm 1944 onwards ( when they were painted blue )
Looking up the Essex class, USS Essex was used for the Apollo seven recovery, so you could go with that for something more “off the wall”?
The Essex class were virtually rebuilt in the 50's, having a strengthened angled deck for jets, and an enclosed bow - almost unrecogniseable from their 'as built' configuration...............
Dave