Eduard 1/48 SE.5a Night Fighter

First Name
Gary
Got this from Creative at a bargain price. Always loved WWI planes with a passion but often the models are a bit basic, as were the planes of course. But time to have a go. Boy there are so many tiny parts. A lot of the PE is unusable its so small and a dash of steel or aluminimum paint will do instead. But the Se 5 was the Hurricane to the Sopwith Camels Spitfire in terms of glamour IMO. So looking forward to it

SE 5 Box.jpg

Not many sprues

SE5 Sprues.jpg

The cockpit is something else. So many tiny parts I lost count. A lot of PE but many of them were so small, full stop sized, that I didn't use them and replaced with steel or aluminimum paint dots instead. I've added the dash and a couple of other parts since this picture but there must be 15 plus parts in there. Like a very fragile Humpty Dumpty it took building in small steps to finally make it hang together and be stable. I'm still deciding whether to do the Night Fighter version shown on the box or a more "normal" camo look. The decals aren't very well printed and a bit dull. They might look OK so I'll decide later.

SE5 Cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
There were a few times when I nearly threw this in the bin. Some of the parts were so small they were beyond any purpose. Particularly the large amount of PE. Most of which was minute, smaller than a full stop, so in those cases I used aluminium or steel metal paint to create the same effect. Some of the PE was just too fiddly to attach and have any use. But worse of all were the decals. people talk about Tamiya because they are so thick. I get that but these were so weird. Despite lots of Sol the minute the decals hit the plane they stuck. Impossible to move most of them so lifting and relaying was called for. Not easy on flimsy strange shaped decals. I persevered with the decals because the night fighter looks nice with them. But Eduard ? Never again but if its just the WWI planes then thats a shame as its an era I really like. A little bit of light touch weathering underneath but using thinner paint to show its canvas

But here we are and you will note there are no wires on the wings. I need a rest from it and its such a delicate aircraft I will leave it at that for now

SE.5 Top.jpg

SE.5 Front R.jpg

SE.5 Underside.jpg

SE.5 Left Rear.jpg

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Gary

Well done for persevering! I think it's come out well!

ATB

Andrew