Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IXc

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, after finishing my "Tamk", I looked around my stashes for something to build next, and realised I haven't built a Spitfire for half a century. I'd bought this Eduard Mk IXc at a show somewhere.
P1140499.JPG
Seems to have enough parts to keep me busy for a while:
P1140493.JPGP1140494.JPGP1140495.JPG
P1140496.JPG
As well as some PE, and canopy masks.P1140501.JPG
I've made a start, but I'm confused already - why do Eduard tell you to remove the magnetic compass?
P1140508.JPG
I looks nicely moulded - pity to remove it.
P1140509.JPG

Does anyone have an explanation?

Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I think the idea is to replace the moulded plastic one with a two part folded PE one - PE parts 19 and 24. Seems a lot of mucking about for very little difference to me pete, if it was me i would just cut off the coloured piece of part 24 (looks like the compass face ) and stick that on the plastic bit already there. Trying to fold up that tiny bit of PE is just an easy lunch for the carpet monster!!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Tony, I must be particularly thick today, I hadn't spotted that! I looked all through the instructions for a compass - must be getting old. I might try folding up that PE, and if it comes out OK, then remove the plastic part. There is a nice compass face on top of part 24, but it won't fit on the plastic part.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I'll follow this with interest. I built the 1/48 version very recently and this looks the same, just smaller. These Eduard plane kits seem to be well thought of.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Haven't updated for a while, but have made a little progress; here's the compass mentioned above:
P1140510.JPG
Eduard supply a PE part for the seat back armour, but I prefer the plastic part shown in the photo.
Some painting done:
P1140515.JPGP1140516.JPG
Very nice rendition of the reflector gunsight.
Also the fuselage halves have had a coat of Interior Grey-Green by Hataka, and a PE part added:
P1140517.JPG
Did you spot the mistake on the seat?
Now repainted in red-brown. Next up when that's dried is to install the PE seatbelts.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Looking good.
I had no problems with the 1/48 version and as it was only the second plane I have built that says a lot for the quality of the kit.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Jim and Dave.

Another mistake - I've glued the seat back armour to the seat but should have fitted the shoulder straps first, there's a bit that goes between the seat back and the armour. Might need that PE armour after all...

Trial-fitting the wing components together and found a problem, a locating pin is stopping the upper wing from fitting to the lower wing correctly. Easy fix - chop off the pin!

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
And it was all going so well... The seat/floor assembly fits each of the cockpit sides perfectly, but try to fit both sides, and the recess that the seat assembly fits into seems to be further forward on one cockpit side than on the other, so it wants to twist when all the parts are together. Pulled it apart, will scrape away the sticky mess when it's hardened, and try again tomorrow.
P1140518.JPG

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit late, sorry Pete.
Not a Wingy ,but an always intrigued by the office. Yours is looking the part. Had to smile about that small piece of PE, why do they do it, when it produces nothing better than the plastic part .
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations. Hopefully things will get easier soon

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Steve. The cockpit tub is now together - still not entirely square and symmetrical, the starboard side is a little further forward than the port, but it fits in the fuselage after filing a little off the front of the starboard side.
P1140522.JPGP1140523.JPG
Surprising that Eduard seem to have forgotten the pilot's leather head rest on the armour plate. I'll have to scratch that, it's very visible on the real Spit. A short slice of cocktail stick should be good.
Hope to get the fuselage closed up tomorrow.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Bit late, sorry Pete.
Not a Wingy ,but an always intrigued by the office. Yours is looking the part. Had to smile about that small piece of PE, why do they do it, when it produces nothing better than the plastic part .
John.
Better late than never John! I agree about the PE - the funny thing is there are loads of controls in the Spitfire cockpit that could have been supplied as PE, but Eduard seem to have moulded some into the fuselage sides, and just ignored others.

Pete

Reactions: JR
D

Dave S4

And it was all going so well... The seat/floor assembly fits each of the cockpit sides perfectly, but try to fit both sides, and the recess that the seat assembly fits into seems to be further forward on one cockpit side than on the other, so it wants to twist when all the parts are together. Pulled it apart, will scrape away the sticky mess when it's hardened, and try again tomorrow.
View attachment 313384

Pete
Frustrating. We've all been there.
This hobby can be love and hate in equal parts.

D

Dave S4

Well the after sales market is good and I have started buying...