Eduard 1/72 Spitfire IXc

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
if I use 1/4" tape then there isn't enough room to replicate the Eduard scheme.
I find it better for something like this to use the real-world guidelines than model instructions :smiling3: Eduard probably indicates 6 mm lines because Czechs don’t think in inches (and I don’t blame them).

The scheme I'm using is apparently correct for 7 June '44, but I'm sure the RAF had masking tape! I'd agree there are some images of hand-painted and rather ragged stripes, but there are also some that look near perfect, and the errors will of course be reduced by a factor of 72.
As far as I know, the neatly painted aircraft are all later than the immediate invasion era. This makes sense, of course, since the planes were probably (re)painted neatly as soon as there was time. According to Wikipedia:
orders to paint the stripes were not issued to the troop carrier units until June 3 and to the fighter and bomber units until June 4.
Which is to say, the day before the planned invasion. So it’s unlikely, IMHO, that many were neatly masked if whole squadrons had to be repainted in hours. I’ve long liked this photo for example:

71d98705270a021fd9ed4c077e479514.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, but, lets consider for example the tail. There are 6 stripes, counting the Sky band. 6 x 18" = 9', or 1 1/2" in 1/72, 38.1 mm, whereas 6 x 6mm = 36 mm, so the with of the striped/band section will in theory be 2.1mm too narrow. However, much more important is that the front edge of the first white strip is just rearward of the aerial mast on all the photos I've found, including the one you posted above, and from the AM instructions, the Sky band was to be painted 'just forward of the leading edge of the tailplane' (I haven't found a more precise instruction). There simply isn't room on the model for 38.1 mm total width of stripes without either having the Sky band on rather than in front of the tail, and/or the forward white stripe overlapping the aerial. I came to a similar conclusion with respect to the wings, looking at panel lines, but I can't find enough photos of a high enough resolution to be certain of the outer position. However the inboard white stripe doesn't seem to extend far onto the curve of the wing root fairing
So, what's wrong? Is the Eduard Spitfire slightly less than 1/72? Perhaps you're right, and they were confused by the inches? Perhaps the fuselage is too short? Whatever the reason, I need a solution, and the only one that I can think of is to use the 6mm tape.
I found that photo you posted, and yes, it is evocative of the task being done in a rush. It looks as if they weren't too careful about measuring the stripes, since they seem to be of varying width. This one though shows the wing stripes pretty much where Eduard have them, as well as the rearmost white stripe apparently overlapping the Sky band by a few inches
Spitfire_of_No._64_Squadron_RAF_with_Invasion_Stripes_Normandy_June_1944.jpg

There's another one here:
Lancaster_spitfire_web.jpg
that shows much neater stripes, but at least on the wing, in the wrong place!

Thanks for your comments, but I'm going to stick with 6 mm stripes. Any thoughts on the possibility of the stripes showing through the decals?

Pete

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter, Yes the stripes will show through the decal unless you have been given an extra white one to go on first. It happened on my P-47...the black stripes showed through the star and horizontal tabs.

I sprayed white for my Spit to avoid the same mistake...
596153.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the Sky band was to be painted 'just forward of the leading edge of the tailplane' (I haven't found a more precise instruction).
I don’t think there was one (but don’t quote me on that :smiling3:). The instructions for the invasion stripes boil down to having the white band start in front of the sky one.

So, what's wrong? Is the Eduard Spitfire slightly less than 1/72?
Have you measured it up? It could well be … I just looked at an Airfix Spitfire I painted with invasion stripes, and though the ones I put on the fuselage measure out as slightly too short (36 mm including the sky band), an extra 2 mm at the front would put the front edge right at the aerial mast.

Whatever the reason, I need a solution, and the only one that I can think of is to use the 6mm tape.
If that fits properly, then use it. My comments were intended on the basis of a model that’s dimensionally correct, but if the model is off (not exactly an unknown occurrence :smiling3:) then adapt the painting so it looks right.

Thanks for your comments, but I'm going to stick with 6 mm stripes. Any thoughts on the possibility of the stripes showing through the decals?
Decidedly likely, I’d say, especially for things like sky-coloured letters on the black stripes.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Peter, Yes the stripes will show through the decal unless you have been given an extra white one to go on first. It happened on my P-47...the black stripes showed through the star and horizontal tabs.

I sprayed white for my Spit to avoid the same mistake...
View attachment 316553

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks, I thought that might be the case.:unamused:
I don’t think there was one (but don’t quote me on that :smiling3:)

Have you measured it up? It could well be … I just looked at an Airfix Spitfire I painted with invasion stripes, and though the ones I put on the fuselage measure out as slightly too short (36 mm including the sky band), an extra 2 mm at the front would put the front edge right at the aerial mast.
Yes, I started masking the stripes using 1/4" tape (home-made) and found I didn't have enough room for 6 x 1/4" between the tail and the aerial.
The wingspan is correct at 156 mm, but I'm not sure about the fuselage since I don't know which spinner was on the Spit measured for the dimensions I have.
If that fits properly, then use it. My comments were intended on the basis of a model that’s dimensionally correct, but if the model is off (not exactly an unknown occurrence :smiling3:) then adapt the painting so it looks right.
Yes, the important thing is that it looks right, and looks like a Spitfire!
Decidedly likely, I’d say, especially for things like sky-coloured letters on the black stripes.
:unamused::unamused:
I hadn't thought of those. I can easily spray a white circle for the roundels, but if the Sky squadron codes let the stripes show through then it'll just have to be.

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete .
The way I see it is any none modeller seeing hand painted wavy stripes would not consider it was like that in real life. It looks damed good to me, but I can see your concern over the tape sizes.
Think I'll stick to bricks and tanks and leave the planes to you experts.
John

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Experts? Oi, who are you calling expert?:tongue-out::tongue-out:

Pete

Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Agree with John here, the hand painted look better, but most of the references I have to invasion stripes are much neater.
Baffled when it went from £ s & d !!! :smiling2::smiling2:
I'll stick to Lego & Stickle bricks in the future, without the lines !!

Paul.
:smiling2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Pete .
The way I see it is any none modeller seeing hand painted wavy stripes would not consider it was like that in real life.
They probably wouldn’t believe all kinds of other things either that were done to vehicles, aircraft, or whatever IRL, but that’s no reason not to model it. If anything, it gives you something to explain to them :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, the stripes have come out better than might be expected:
P1140570.JPGP1140571.JPG
Now to mask those and the topside, get the Sky on the underside... then the camo:cold-sweat:

PeteP1140572.JPG

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete.
Thats looking good, stand away and leave it alone, well when it complete. :smiling4:
John.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Stripes came out nice indeed, looking forward to the camo :thumb2:
Cheers

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
We have Sky:
P1140573.JPGP1140574.JPG
I'll leave that to harden before I start the camo. Also sprayed some Interior Grey Green on the canopy frames.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I was quite pleased with that Sky underside... until I realised that for 1944 the underside would have been Medium Sea Grey! Oh bother, or words to that effect.
Oh well, onwards and upwards, (with a few downward and backward steps on the way).

Pete

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry to hear about the colour issues. The wet stuff was going so well especially those stripes. Like you say onwards and upwards

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Steve. The MSG is drying at the moment, but I'll have to repaint the undercarriage doors and bays when the masking comes off the stripes.:disappointed2:

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Camo is on the upper surfaces:
P1140579.JPGP1140580.JPG
Unveiling tomorrow...

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Couldn't wait, so un-masked just now!
P1140581.JPGP1140582.JPGP1140583.JPG
Quite a few touch-ups needed, especially on the port wing, and the aerial mast didn't survive, but not too bad for an amateur!

Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Pete.
Wow ! What a reveal, looking sharp. Love that jig by the way, never seen that before.Looks a handy bit of kit.
John.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks John. I bought the jig at a show a year or so ago, can't remember who the trader was. Maker is JH Models. Does John have them at Scale Model Shop?

Pete