Eduard Fw 190D-9 (8189)

First Name
Daniel
Hi All,

So got my first Eduard kit, I heard they have usually great fit and good details so I decided to give it a try. I got Fw 190D-9, 8189 kit code. So far so god and I am amazed how some things are detailed and photoetched parts are amazing but they require almost infinite amount of patience to be put together.

Anywhere, was wondering if someone here has experience with this or similar kits from Eduard. I am having some strange fit issues which I am slowly resolving as they appear but was wondering if I am doing something wrong or its just the kit itself.
Few examples:
After few days of wrestling on closing the main section of the fuselage I came to a step where I have to assemble the wing section before it is married to the fuselage. I decided to do a test fit by stick the wing parts together with masking tape and putting them against the main fuselage section. As you can see from the picture, on both sides of the plane there is massive gap at the trailing edge of the wing, especially the right side wing.
PXL_20220102_165556733_2.jpg
Also the wing root seems bigger then the fuselage itself which will required extensive cutting/sanding to get it to the right size to follow the contour of the plane.
PXL_20220102_165604848_2.jpg

The gap on the trailing edge of the wing I solved by using some parts that I don't need, cutting them and adding them in to fill in the gap. As a result I did not need to do any sanding on the actual parts so all the riveting and details are saved. Now I may need to used some putty but acrylic putty that can be massaged in with water and then fine grit sanding will give it a polish while easily preserving the details there.
PXL_20220103_222838500_2.jpg
Also there is this, where this part of the wing/wheel well:
PXL_20220103_223336310_2.jpg
Collides with this bottom part of the engine block that protrudes in the wheel well from the picture above:
PXL_20220103_223351847_2.jpg
Now this engine block thing is a major issue, as there is no sanding that will fix this. I had to cut this part of the engine block that protrudes in the wheel well and I am yet to see if I can somehow restore it after I attach the wings. It directly impact that part in the wheel well. Initially I thought that I did not properly glue the engine block in the correct place. But the way this kit is engineered and how the engine did fit snugly there is no way that is in the wrong place. I think that the wing root and wheel well are just in the wrong place or something else is going on with this kit.

Last edited:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've only.really heard good things as well,just finishing off a 1/72 mig 21 and I was really impressed, everything was a perfect fit, can fault it in any way,so I bought another one! I guess every manufacturer has a few dodgy ones. Perhaps check out some online reviews see what they say.

First Name
Daniel
I've only.really heard good things as well,just finishing off a 1/72 mig 21 and I was really impressed, everything was a perfect fit, can fault it in any way,so I bought another one! I guess every manufacturer has a few dodgy ones. Perhaps check out some online reviews see what they say.
As well I heard only good stuff about Eduard. That is why I was confused by all this. Also as you said before getting this kit I only saw good reviews. :thinking:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Shame, you got the wings sorted nicely though so sure you'll whip the rest into shape OK.