Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc - 1/48

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Jim just caught with this a nice clean and tidy start, will be keeping a eye on your progress, good luck sir.
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Jim
Just arrived in time. Looking forward to seeing your wingy thing come together. It's exciting to watch your first build on this forum come together. Good luck
Steve

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
You're doing great Jim, 1/48th pe is easy try 1/72th for whingy things...:tongue-out3:
Good planning too, I came to the same set-up when wanting to glue as much as possible and still make an easy paint-job a reality.
Keep up the good work sir.:thumb2:

Fernando

D

Deleted member 3568

That's a great start Jim (planes are my achillies heel)

R

Ron Lebert

Well I found you Jim, looks to be a great start as usual.
For me I need to figure out how this site works then I will try to post the rest of the Henschel build.
Will add a link to the blog as MM looks to be still there but not posting what was recently added.
What are you doing about your unfinished blogs.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Peter - me too:smiling4:
Pete - glad to have you along
Steve - it is nice to start something on here. I was lucky in that the tug boat was almost finished before MilMod went down.
Fernando - I seem to be spending a lot of time dry fitting and thinking "If I glue this will I still be able to paint what is necessary?"
Ken - I have only done a couple of planes before and this is a great kit but quite demanding.
Peter - what worried me about that PE was the bends were very fragile and I knew I had to get it right first time.
Ron - I am so glad you have come here. Wouldn't be the same without you. The site is OK to use. I don't have much unfinished. Quite a few of the guys are completing blogs started on MiMod.

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon but not much to show - just more cockpit bits. The paints came today from Scale Model Shop - very quick delivery :thumb2:
Thanks again for encouragement
Jim

First Name
Ross
Jim
Ah the joys of Aircraft modelling, it always seems that way when you work on the cockpits but once painted and you close up the fuselage, progress is a lot faster. Nice progress so far though.
cheers
Ross

First Name
Wouter
Jim, that cockpit looks good mate. Good show on the PE part as well! Looking forward to see more.

And in enthousiasm for this thread I started my BF109 cockpit too...but I guess I wasn't 100% 'there' with my head and I folded some etch part the wrong way :upside:...reminds me that you need to keep focus. Oh well, in the meantime I enjoy following this one!

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Jim, that's looking great already

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Ross and Joe - glad to have you look in :thumb2:
Hi all
Well these cockpits are certainly testing. Much time, patience and bad language is needed. Done now apart from a wash to dirty it up a bit and then fit the fuselage halves around it. I have dry fitted it and it seems OK but until its done I will worry! Eduard provide PE seat belts which are pre-painted. Problem I found was when they were bent to shape the coloured layer came off at the bend so some touch up was needed.
Anyway some photos. It is stuck on a milk container cap so that gives some idea of how small it is!

P1050304.JPGP1050305.JPGP1050309.JPGP1050310.JPGP1050311.JPGP1050312.JPGP1050313.JPG
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Very nice Jim! Wonderful attention to detail. Nice worn out effect son the dials:thumb2:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, good to see some color on the cockpit, really like how it looks!

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, the office looks nice with all the colored bling. While building mine I noticed there's not much of a floor.

579270.jpg Got my seat colored wrong here. Corrected it later with red brown.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Never seen the clear parts on wheel spokes like this
That's a new one on me too.
But anyway, the 'pit looks great. You've obviously cracked 1:48, so how about a nice little 1:72 next ?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Thanks for your support :thumb2:
Seems a while since I had any progress to show but time for a bit of an update. Got the fuselage together. The fit was brilliant. Only a tiny smear of filler needed in front of the cockpit and that was just a bit of a sunken glue line rather than poor fit. The engine exhausts were fine although the instructions took a bit of figuring out. Again the engine cover was a perfect fit - just dry fitted at the moment. So little sanding needed that there were hardly any panel lines or rivets to reinstate.
P1050314.JPG
P1050315.JPG
P1050316.JPG

The wheel wells were built up and painted. I used the Mr Color paint but picked up the wrong thinner - Tamiya X-20A instead of the lacquer thinner. I didn't know an airbrush could get so clogged up. The paint was like jelly :sad: I don't like stripping down the airbrush at the best of times. Being a hot day didn't help! Anyway it's OK now and I'll be more careful in future. It does show that although the MrC paint is similar in many ways to Tamiya it must have some important difference.
P1050317.JPG
P1050318.JPG
Thanks for watching.
Jim

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Jim
Sorry to hear about the airbrush. An easy mistake to make. The build seems to be coming on well though:thumb2:
Steve

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Jim, glad that the airbrush is ok after the thinner mix up.:hugging-face:
Maybe X20 can be used with the Gunze aqua range:thinking:, when I got my first bottles awhile back the saleslady at the LHS warned me about mixing up the Mr.C thinner with the aqua paint as it will turn into jelly and clogg the AB...

Great looking progress BTW, very neat office.:thumb2:

Fernando

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's why I always mix separately before pouring into the airbrush receptacle.

Nice joining of halves Jimbo.

Cheers,
Richard