EE Lightning F6 - 1/48 Airfix Finished

C

Caledonia

Hi all, finally got this one finished, not the fault of the kit, just the limited time I had available. Details of the build can be found 'Under Construction.'

So if I were to build another one what would I do different?

Whilst I could not fault the Neomega cockpit, in the Lightning because of the very small space and all the metal framing around the canopy, you can see very little of it in the finished aircraft, even with the cockpit left open, so I would be very tempted to stick to the Airfix one.

The Aires Wheelbays are a lot of work, but well worth it. Similarly the Aires Exhaust it very nice and just falls into place.

My biggest regret is the Flighpath upgrade, I only used the undercarriages, which I admit are nice, but I found the photo etch did not fit or I did not want it, thats the problem with buying blind on the internet. I would stick to the Airfix next time.

So thats my personal view.

Hope you like the photos below, which are based on No. 23 Sqd, based at Leuchers in 1967.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 32270

View attachment 32271

View attachment 32272

View attachment 32273

View attachment 32274

View attachment 32275

View attachment 32276

View attachment 32277

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

F3.jpg

F4.jpg

F5.jpg

F7.jpg

F8.jpg

F9.jpg

F

Fenlander

Very nicely done Derek. Great NMF to and the burners look great. It is an impressive aircraft and you have made a cracking job of it.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I was looking at the build last night and was amazed at all the PE that went into this, love the way she looks Derek. Great work mate and five stars.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job derek! I just love the nat metal lightnings and this ticks all the boxes! The u/c bays and wheels look excellent, well worth the effort. 5* from me , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you moaned, you groaned and you grumbled about all the fettling and bad fits and unused parts but do you know what?

Your efforts have really paid off. She looks wonderful!

Five very well earned stars from me as well!!

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Thanks Gents for your kind comments and especially for the 5 Stars. There were a couple of firsts for me on this one, the pre-shading I had never done before but must say it works very well if you want to break up a large plain area, I will use this technique again when I get round to my Tomcat as it, like the Tornado, gets real dirty in service. The other first was the Rub-N-Buff (silver leaf), I found you could use it two ways as follows.

1) If you applied it very thinly to a small area at a time such as the tailerons or tail fin, and buffed it up straight away with a cotton bud, it gave a lustre to the undercoat which in my case was Titanium Silver.

2) If you applied it as above, but left it for an hour you could buff it to a polished aluminiums colour or if you carried on very gently you could almost get a chrome effect.

My one disappointment was my photos which I took outside yesterday as we had one of those few sunny days, they failed to capture the sheen on the NMF, I took a photo indoors, which I have posted below, and captures a little better this effect.

Thanks again. Cheers Derek

View attachment 26381

View attachment 32348

F10.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely cracking model of an amazing aircraft. Thye panel lines have really come out well against the metallic finish and looks extreemly effective. Great pictures though even though you weren't happy with them, they do show the model off very nicely.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice model Derek.

I commented on the hit 'n miss buffing during the build, but now I see the finished aircraft, the effect is even better. You have it just right.

Well done,

Ron

C

Caledonia

Hi Richard/Ron, your comments are much appreciated. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That last picture you posted, the one on the shelf indoors is a great shot.

Its also a nice collection you have there. I really must get me a Phantom in Royal Navy paint. Your one was the Hasegawa one if I recall?

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, thanks, yes the Phantom is the 1/48 Hasagawa Kit, you will find full details below. Cheers Derek

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/9146-royal-navy-phantom-f-4k.html

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/9539-finished-royal-navy-phantom-4fk-1-48-hasegawa.html

T

treyzx10r

Derek well executed build it looks awesome!!!Nicely done sir!

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Trey, much appreciated. Cheers Derek

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An excellent result, very inspirational. Your many hours of work have paid off with a great looking plane. I had never considered pre-shading under a metallic coat, but there you go, it works to great effect ! It sits very well on your shelf, but I have to ask, has the Phantom been naughty ??

Regards

Colin M.......

Five gold badges from me too.

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your comments Colin, no the Phantom wasn't naughty, as you will recall the outer section of the wings slope upwards which means they clash with the other models wings if turned round. So pointing him at the wall allows me an extra aircraft on the shelf plus the red tail is shown off better. Cheers Derek

C

combatvf24

Sweet! Looks great with the sunlight reflecting off of the fuselage. I love the look of the aluminum finish and the different shades. A kit to be proud of!

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, thanks for your comments on this and my other models; tell me just how cold does it get in the winter over their to stop you modelling? I see from your postings that you are doing an F-15E, how about some photos when you have a minute. I did an F-15C a short while ago, a nice looking bird, see below for the link. I have two more American Aircraft in my stores, the Academy 1/72 F-22A Raptor and the Hasegawa 1/72 F-14B Tomcat, will get round to them later this year. I quite fancy doing an F-100C Super Sabre some time too. Cheers Derek

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/8939-f-15c-eagle-tamiya-1-48-a.html