EMHAR 1/24 Bedford 'OLBD' Dropside 5 ton Truck

F

Fenlander

WP_20160524_10_32_47_Pro.jpg

Something completely different to what I usually do.  These are great kits, I have the short wheelbase tipper pictured on the box art bottom right too.

Built up the chassis.  by my own fault I messed up the prop shafts so I made new ones out of brass tube.  Primed in Stynylrez Red Primer.

WP_20160526_13_42_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20160526_13_42_25_Pro.jpg

Cab built up.  It is a shell with the interior as a module that slips up into the bodywork so it will all come out for painting.  Again primed in Red Primer but a different light so it looks different.  The wooden flat bed is not painted on the real truck so it is primed in white for washes to be added.

WP_20160526_16_23_08_Pro.jpg

And this is where I am at the moment.  The chassis and front mudguards are sprayed gloss black and the wooden flatbed is ready for masking off so the sides and ends can go on.  All underneath will be black and the rest as per the box art in British Rail Crimson and Cream (another trip to the Model Railway shop at the weekend)WP_20160526_20_34_59_Pro.jpg

K

kintosh

I have a Recovery truck to build from this range for my garden railway so will be watching with interest. Looking really good Graham

T

tommy1drop

Nice start Graham, always liked the look of these, looking forward to seeing the next update.

F

Fenlander

I have a Recovery truck to build from this range for my garden railway so will be watching with interest. Looking really good Graham

The recovery truck is an adaptation of the SWB Tipper that I have.  These two are the originals, the SWB Recovery and the LWB Tanker were developed on the original chassis.  They are very good kits and go together well.  Only problem I have had was my own fault.  I put a chassis cross member in wrong and the locating lug for the front prop shaft was to the front instead of the rear.

I couldn't work out what was wrong so I shortened the plastic prop shaft.  It was when I come to fit the rear one, which was now too short, that I realised my mistake so I replaced the kit parts with brass tube.  I will do this when I build the tipper as well because it looks better.

F

Fenlander

I like the look of that Graham, I may have to invest in a couple. ( "John" have you got any? )

Great start by the way.

There are four in total, these two I have and the LWB tanker and SWB recovery truck are on my shopping list.  Remember these are 1/24 so fit in well with a lot of commercial vehicle kits.  I fancy all four on a base in pristine condition depicting a scene from a Classic Truck Show.  There was a military version of this LWB drop side but the mudguards at the front were very different (cheaper) so not an easy conversion.  However, I have no doubt a few standard ones were 'Requisitioned' and painted green  :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start on this one Graham,looking good so far like the old wood look for the tray, :D

F

Fenlander

Quite a bit more done today although some of it behind the scenes so to speak.

All the little drop side hinge pins put on.  Not working but in scale.

WP_20160527_12_23_55_Pro.jpg

Then a quick test fit

WP_20160527_12_24_12_Pro.jpg

before building the rear box.  The finished plain wood box floor is all masked off.

WP_20160527_15_24_44_Pro.jpg

While that is setting the coil and spark plug leads added

WP_20160527_15_31_28_Pro.jpg

the doors are fitted to the cab, the inside still slides out for finishing.  However, I think I know where the inspiration for Darth Vader's helmet comes from.

WP_20160527_18_05_46_Pro.jpg

the rubber tyres were given a light sand to kill the gloss and then the wheels were built up.  Double wheels on rear axel and a spare under the rear chassis.  Thankfully it sits level on its wheels, a testament to the kits quality engineering. The I indulged myself with a mockup.

WP_20160527_18_05_01_Pro.jpg

Hope to get the authentic colours from the local Model Railway shop over the weekend and then I can crack on with the main painting.  I have had to remove the rear mudguards as I had carefully sprayed all the box underside black only to find out it should be the main finish colour, BR Crimson so the mudgaurds had to come off as masking would be a tad tricky to say the least.

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

I can remember when a bank holiday was anticipated as possible bench time.  Now, it is an intrusion into my bench time lol.  Did have great fish & chips in Skeggy yesterday  :D

However, the use of enamels on this build has slowed me down a bit anyway.  Eight hour minimum drying time for re coating and twenty four hour drying before anything else is not something I am used to.

Still, got the rear box finished apart from varnish and decals.  Once that is done, the mudguards can go back on and the cab, which is drying after final coat of cream, can be masked off for the Crimson lower half.

The bonnet, side panels and the radiator also need to be painted Crimson and varnished before they can be fitted.  I was intending to have one side of the bonnet open but I am now looking at it becoming a lift off piece for when/if I want to display the engine.

But, for now, not a lot but at least the back box is nearly completed.

WP_20160530_14_31_52_Pro.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There are four in total, these two I have and the LWB tanker and SWB recovery truck are on my shopping list.  Remember these are 1/24 so fit in well with a lot of commercial vehicle kits.  I fancy all four on a base in pristine condition depicting a scene from a Classic Truck Show.  There was a military version of this LWB drop side but the mudguards at the front were very different (cheaper) so not an easy conversion.  However, I have no doubt a few standard ones were 'Requisitioned' and painted green  :smiling3:

When I get some I'm going to build them as the work horses they are, so muck is the order of the day Graham.

P

Polux

Wow! Graham, I love your new build!

Diferent and interesting. Uffff......and the weathering possibilities are amazaing ;)

Great choice!

L

Leighbo

Nice subject Graham, I've always been a bit suspicious of Emhar kits after reading some poor reviews, but will definitely try them out some time. Looking good too!