Enamel Clear Gloss Coats

T

TomPoy515

Hi.
I build models from scratch, applying decals I design and print myself (using an inkjet printer, printed on to white water transfer paper). I undercoat and paint my models using Revell Enamel paint.

I’ve been having a lot of problems sealing the decals when applying a final clear gloss coat.

To waterproof my decals I was using an acrylic spray, however when putting a coat of Humbrol enamel varnish (from a 150ml spray can) over the top it broke down the acrylic varnish on the decals and destroyed them. Then I tried putting a coat of acrylic on top, which also failed as it reacted badly with the enamel paint pulling up and completely ruining the paint job!

I’ve now tried sealing my decals by painting on Revell enamel gloss varnish 1 (the little pots) however enamel varnish doesn’t waterproof the decals and water gets under the enamel and ruins the ink underneath.

I really am stuck with what to try next. Is there anything anybody could suggest to me please? Maybe my only option is to switch to using Revell Acrylic paints?

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,
Tom