End of an era.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Although Mills engines have been obsolete now for a good forty years genuine spares were available as and when production warranted it,but it is now end of the day for these venerable and utterly reliable old diesels,genuine spares have now dried up meaning that the millions of engines produced will need to be kept alive with small batch runs of enthusiasts spares,despite the numerous copies made over the years culminating in the superb Irvine-Mills 74 very few of the parts were interchangeable.

Gig Eifelander well known for his diesel PAW engines plus the excellent three day rebore service, told me that his market now mainly concentrates on engines for control line speed and combat flying,the modern high performance glo motor has all but overtaken modern engine production factories throughout the world,even the Italian manufacturing plants lost millions of dollars over the past few years and are all now but dinousar industries struggling to survive.

Gig commented that the modern youngster who cracked his fingers starting his first diesel now demands peak performance,the days of the diesel are now almost history even getting hold of ether based fuel can be an headache in certain areas,ever tried getting hold of Amyl Nitrate ?

Family names such as Elmic,Allen Mercury,Electronic Developments,Albion are now treasured forever and etched in the modelling history books,you just cannot beat the good old waft of ether or unburnt castor ! I have wrecked more shirts with this stuff that I care to mention,the burns are worse than dry car battery acid.

Well it looks as if my own diesel engine collection are grounded and pieces of engineering to be admired for their sheer simplicity alone.

Love them or hate them.