Erich Hartmann Bust No.2

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

hartmann.jpg

MJ Miniatures were kind enough to provide an alternative head with their Erich Hartmann bust, and it's a beauty. In order to use it, I had a look for a cheap bust with a suitable torso and found this Verlinden offering going for £16 at Historex:

100_7918.JPG

As you can see it is supposed to represent Hartmann, but has one of Verlinden's occasional comic heads:

100_7921.JPG

I removed the cap, and whittled the neck of the MJ head to fit the torso:

100_7920.JPG

The torso is slightly smaller than I would have preferred, but I figure that if I place the cap as though it's help under his left arm, the thing will balance out.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A good use of bits n bobs Pierre.Nice to see Historex selling the busts at reduced price.Some of the faces are bit contrived but perfect for conversions if good heads are sourced.Have i beaten the rabble to the good seats!!.
Rich.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Yes, Historex haven't put up their Verlinden prices at all, and if anything have reduced a lot of them to clear what's left. Not many people here at the moment, so take a pew.

Neil - My son has eaten all of the HobNobs I'm afraid (he's a growing lad).

The head:

100_7922.JPG100_7923.JPG

As with the first version, I found getting the youthful look pretty difficult, but it was fun to paint.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

You really are getting into the "Young Ones" these past few figures.

Your faces are really well blended and youthful looking, a really nice change of pace from the grizzled old war horses.

Well done.

Looks like a black leather jacket day today, back in the 70's that was a euphemism for the right wing, not surprisingly.

As for the heatwave, it seems to have been shortened to just 24 hours starting later today, it wont last until your break though!

Another classic British summer!

I shall be back to vampire prep before real work starts again this morning and I have a weekend ahead to perhaps get a primer on them both?

Enjoy the cool before the heatwave

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

These are rewarding heads to paint, and I've enjoyed the challenges they've thrown up. On to the jacket today and more pesky braiding, though I must say that the detail Verlinden have achieved here is superb - should make painting easier.

34 degrees predicted for the South East tomorrow, then, as you say, back to the 'normal' British summer the next day. Hope you get some bench time.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
I'll get a seat please before the hoards turn up.
Shall sit and enjoy.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi John. Just in time, because it's finished:

100_7932.JPG100_7937.JPG100_7936.JPG

I painted the shoulder boards, collar and Knight's Cross first, and was greatly helped by the excellent detail on the sculpt.

The jacket was painted with mixes of Vallejo Flat Black and Basalt Grey, pure black being reserved for the extreme shadows and pure basalt for the lightest highlights. It's basically a mixture of various greys, avoiding going too light in order to keep it looking like a black jacket. The surface dried with an ideal soft, leathery sheen, so I've left it unvarnished.

I did paint the cap, but both the sculpt and my painting were under-par, so I decided not to use it.

The two together:

100_7938.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Afternoon Peter, that's two stunning busts I really like these all the best Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well that was quick ! I'll put my seat back then.
Beautiful painting, those jackets and esp the zips are good.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks for looking in people. I've kept the original head, but I don't think I'm ever going to use it.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice pair Peter(oops should rephrase it).Couple of beauties oooo err missus.Turned out nice Pierre.
Whats next?
Richy.

• Haha
D

Deleted member 6559

Yes, it.s not far off. I've seen it painted and it still looks odd, but I may give it a go.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter
Great work on the bookends, super leather work, it really makes the pair look the part.
The little nuggets of colour studded in the jackets are so good.
The knights crosses and ribbons, and the zips.
Well done.
You could always do an off forum "just to try it" paint job on the original head as the Joker, just to see what happens.
I do know you're not a SiFi fan, but it could be an interesting experiment in colour?
What next? Another 1:16 figure?
Just heard on the news we have been locked down again!!!
No change there for us!
Have a good socially distanced and safe day and weekend with the mini heatwave and new victim
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve. Glad that you like these two. I'm quite pleased with the way they turned out, especially the second. I may well have a go at the rejected head - I found a helmet yesterday that kind of fits.

So, lock down up North. I must say I think it was inevitable. This thing hasn't gone away and I think the Government's outlook was that as long as the NHS wasn't overwhelmed, people could carry on dying. Strange situation here where you can visit the pub, but not your GP, as my daughter found out - weird priorities.

I may start on a 1/18 figure next, though I think bench time will be limited by the mini heatwave.