ESCI 1/48 F100-D Thunderbirds

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi folks another golden oldie comes with a comprehensive instruction sheet and a number of limited parts. Decals look ok/good so I'm hoping they may hold together upon application. It will be built straight out the box with no additional parts/work. I'll clean it up to the best of my ability and see how it turn out. Thanks for looking in. Cheers John. IMG_1453.JPGIMG_1454.JPGIMG_1455.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow, that's old John. The older ESCI kits can be quite a challenge but looking at the parts count I think it shouldn't be a problem. Watch out for fit and lots of filler. Good luck.

Cheers,
Richard

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Well that's the easy parts done this morning. Added some crude seatbelts from tape and wire. I suppose somethings better than nothing? Now comes the hard part fitting into the fuselage as the dry fit wasn't the easiest. Thanks for looking in cheers John.IMG_1457.JPGIMG_1458.JPG

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Managed to get the fuselage sewn up. Put up a valiant fight as I had to stitch in four separate elements two of which were a particularly bad fit and had to be chopped n carved. I added a few plastic card tabs to aid as retainers to help. Some super glue in the problematic areas and Tamiya extra thin quick setting glue in the remaining areas. Filling and sanding to do in some areas but not to bad I suppose. The wings are loosely fitted for now. More later. Thanks for looking in. Cheers John IMG_1475.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's showing whose boss John. Good work so far...reminds me of working on Vacform kits. Keep it up. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI John very nice work so far an about 20 mls away at a small musemum called flixton there stand a real f100 in the thunderbird colours an its looks great very coluorful plane but she in need of a repaint as the colours are fadeing which is a shame really
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well done on getting this far.

ATB.

Andrew

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi folks small update wings all glued and filled and cleaned up and I’ve added some plastic card which although not original helped with the clean up. Thanks for looking in cheers John.7C6C442B-686E-46DD-B120-81EDBF994FBA.jpegDD363FFA-519C-45D4-80D0-272FC1425C88.jpeg70B2EBDC-6F06-4B92-A401-CD53795A0680.jpeg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Another little hurdle crossed. Managed to loose fit the canopy. There was a gap at the front so I filled it with a thin piece of card and will be barely noticeable when painted. I have had a chuckle to myself whilst making this kit as I wondered how many minutes it would have survived before it flew out the window back in the 1970s 350DC08E-E92E-4BA1-93F7-A08EEF010C85.jpeg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi folks managed to get some Metal colour on the F100d after a struggle with the base coat. It's an old bottle and as spent a year in a cold damp wet shed over the winter months. Think I need to build a new mancave someday as I inherited this one from the previous owners. Not turned out to bad considering I think? The undercarriage as to be addressed as I went outside for some natural daylight and didn't realise we were having some rain until I noticed going all over the paint. Anyhow thanks for looking in cheers John.IMG_1518.JPGIMG_1519.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job john , i know these ESCI kits can be a very approximate fit . I did the A10 years back ( when it first came out actually so about 40 ! :dizzy:) and i remember it was a poor fit , some nice details though . I love the f100 its such a great looking aircraft , looking forward to the next update , cheers tony

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great job john , i know these ESCI kits can be a very approximate fit . I did the A10 years back ( when it first came out actually so about 40 ! :dizzy:) and i remember it was a poor fit , some nice details though . I love the f100 its such a great looking aircraft , looking forward to the next update , cheers tony
Yeah Tony it's been poor fit wise but I'll see it through. It's never going to be a show stopper but I'll complete it as I hate giving up on something. I mean I've been with the Mrs 30 years.:tears-of-joy:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi folks small update I've sprayed the wings and a few small panels in a different metal paint to give a bit of variation. I've attempted some staining on the rear panels and as it's only my second effort I'm just going to have to roll with it. I have an exhaust pigment set so might have a play with that later. Thanks for looking in and any comments left. Cheers John.IMG_1542.JPGIMG_1543.JPG

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Never realized they had four 20mm cannon. No wonder pilots were pissed when replacement F4s had no guns at all. PaulE

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good john , cheers tony