Esci 1/72 Sea Harrier

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Looking at online walkarounds, some Harriers seemed to fly with an empty centre pylon and some with a missile fitted, but I can't find anything suitable in my spares box so I'll leave it empty.

Pete

maybe you could add a 1000lb bomb, as some of the Harriers during the Falkland's did carry a bomb on the centreline pylon..

(only until the GR.3'S took over all the bombing missions, and the Shar was then used more frequently for air superiority)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks like your winning Pete , nothing like a challenge is there ! :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
There are a lot of awkward shapes on the Harrier. One is at the rear of the canopy, where there are two quadrants cut out of the clear part (just dry fitted here):
P1160123.JPG
This shape is correct, but I'm sure the 1:1 doesn't have a big gap each side of the rear canopy. I'll need to fill that space at the back of the canopy somehow. I think I need to make a sort of bulkhead just behind the framing and use filler behind that. That's going to be 'fun'.
Pete

Attachments

• P1160125.JPG
    P1160125.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 3

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
There are a lot of awkward shapes on the Harrier. One is at the rear of the canopy, where there are two quadrants cut out of the clear part (just dry fitted here):
View attachment 415558
This shape is correct, but I'm sure the 1:1 doesn't have a big gap each side of the rear canopy. I'll need to fill that space at the back of the canopy somehow. I think I need to make a sort of bulkhead just behind the framing and use filler behind that. That's going to be 'fun'.
Pete

No need to 'fill' the gaps as the real Harrier has these cut-outs in the canopy frame..
29857152042_3fbebbfbd7_k-750x496.jpg

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Yeah, those notches avoid those fins you can see.

I think Pete was referring to the bulkhead and rail runners you can also see in the picture. Most harrier kits at this scale are missing these.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Chris (and Chris!). I hadn't found a photo as clear as that one, and I was thinking that those cut-outs would be closed off, but it seems they're open as far as the bulkhead. Glad you posted as I would have filled the space behind the bulkhead.
Speaking of which:
P1160126.JPG
I'll cut it down to size when the glue's dried.
I haven't fitted those 'fins' (I think they're aerials) yet as I'll only knock them off.

Thanks again chaps, the forum has helped out again!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Cut that canopy bulkhead down to size and fitted it - forgot to take photos, sorry. Fitted loads of little aerials and the pitot. Canopy and some other bits now masked, so out with the crayons and start colouring!
The scheme (899th RNAS Yeovilton) has the underside horizontal surfaces in light grey. Possibly too light, but that's what I had. The rest of the airframe will be Dark Sea Grey.
IMG_20210307_153154277.jpg
That can have a day or two to harden up before I mask off and spray the DSG.
The jet nozzles (and the heat shields) have had a dose of Mr Metal Colour Burnt Iron:
P1160127.JPG
Cheers
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I've stuck nearly everything on - the airbrake and front u/c doors will go on later, for the usual reason (I forgot them). The undercarriage will be added later so save me trying to mask it.
The underside has had a coat of light grey:
IMG_20210307_153154277.jpg
It was a little tricky to mask those weapon pylons, but the top has now had a dose of Dark Sea Grey. Mr Color Aqueous thinned with Levelling Thinner, goes on beautifully and dries hard and smooth.
P1160134.JPG
BUT... can you see the mistake?

I should have painted the black radome first as it would have been easier to mask that and spray the DSG rather that have to mask a tapering curved surface. Oh well...

Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking sharp pete , that radome is going to be a tricky mask up for sure . Maybe a thin ,large radius ,curved piece of tape ? Try the compass cutter on the largest radius it will do and cut a piece out of a wide piece of tape .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Coming along well now despite the issues. You certainly have to come up with a lot of solutions on old kits like this. Maybe that's their charm - a real sense of satisfaction when you end up with a nice model.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking sharp pete , that radome is going to be a tricky mask up for sure . Maybe a thin ,large radius ,curved piece of tape ? Try the compass cutter on the largest radius it will do and cut a piece out of a wide piece of tape .
Thanks Tony. That probe is going to get in the way of masking. I'm going to try a strip of 1mm tape butted up against the base of the probe, then wider tape against that. The circle cutter is a good idea, might try that too.
Hi Peter
Coming along well now despite the issues. You certainly have to come up with a lot of solutions on old kits like this. Maybe that's their charm - a real sense of satisfaction when you end up with a nice model.
Jim
Thanks Jim, the kit isn't much of a problem, more that I didn't think things through properly. It would be nice to have better locating points for some things though. The two aerials just behind the canopy for example - nothing to mark where they go, and the sprue gate is on the end that has to be glued to the fuselage (they're slightly tapered). It was a struggle to get them in an acceptable place and both at the same angle.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A little more done.
P1160135.JPG
Pleased the masking worked, but I broke off the probe on the nose when removing the masking. I need to get the decals on before the underwing stores, there are several decals to go on the pylons. Might as well leave the nosewheel and air brake until after the decals too.
The radome masking didn't work - had some creepage. Tried to tidy it up with a brush, but couldn't get a clean line, so I masked it the way I should have done in the first place (black first) and sprayed the DSG. It's not perfect but not too bad.
Comments welcome.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Decals are on, also the undercarriage:
P1160136.JPG
The double wheels towards the rear of the fuselage so she sits nicely on all 5 wheels.
A little more detail painting to do in daylight tomorrow, then I'll matt coat it before adding the fuel tanks and Sidewinders.
P1160137.JPG
P1160138.JPG
Should be finished in a couple of days!
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Pete

Coming on very nicely indeed.

Well done.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wrote " The double wheels towards the rear of the fuselage so she sits nicely on all 5 wheels ", which doesn't make sense - I meant to say that the double wheels have a little movement. Thanks for that ESCI!
Pete