Etch Machines.....

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Guys,
Just a quick question from me while i ponder my thoughts about starting the Etch work on my current build.
I don`t have a specific machine,always just got by with finding the odd,suitable,straight edge or curve......... if possible.As i`m getting older i`m starting to think,"Why wing it?",about time i got one of them there clever machines to help me........
Been looking........ and i have no idea at all which would be of most use for me,(Only really do AFVs and Figures),
So if you wouldn`t mind taking part in a bit of a Poll,could you suggest which ones you have had most success with,or most use out of.
I`d be very appreciative of any thoughts offered up!
Cheers Chaps,
Andy

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

and to tidy up any little burrs

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think a good quality (vallorbe etc) flat file at number 2 or number 3 cut used flat on the bench for cleaning long edges and a good quality needle file or two would be a better investment than the Tamiya diamond file. Used properly ( not on white metal or solder) they will outlast you. Tamiya tools are pretty good, but they are quite pricey and better can be sourced if you look at tool factor sites like Proops or Eileens emporium.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I would go along with Gary's suggestion of that bending tool. I have a larger one as well but rarely find I need it as the small one is big enough 90% of the time. A decent fine file is useful as Gary and Tim say.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Got the same set up as Gary. I don't do much PE, but that bending tool is well made and does everything I want.

Wish I knew about those other files before I splashed out on my Tamiya one though Tim. It does the job as required but as you say, it was really expensive.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I have just taken delivery of some etch tools today, picture on "latest acquisistions" page of small bender, pliers and file both Tamiya and both pricey, but hey, it's only money that needs to be spent. ;)

Andy.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
The Small Shop tools are good quality but in my opinion are way overpriced by the time they get here from the US

Trumpeter tools versions are a good compromise between quality and cost

These files are excellent on etch, and anything else

Glass Files

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy I'm another with that Small shop bending thingy. Seems ok , didn't know about the Trumpeter ones in those far off days so I would checkout theirs as well . If they are anything like their track tool it will be worth it.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I’ve got Small Shop, Trumpeter and cheapo Chinese off Ebay versions in various different sizes - would definitely go with Trumpeter if I had to buy again

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts Guys,hopefully it`ll help out others too :thumb2: ,
Gary,much appreciated Sir,i`ve looked up both items,the Glass file is something i already have a set of,(although they didn`t cost that much!),the Etch tool itself is,admittedly,more expensive than i`d expected,however at about £37 inc p&p i guess it`s kinda acceptable........ i`m afraid i still can`t persuade the Wallet of the Moor to open that wide:dizzy: .......... so it`s back to scrabbling around for mix an match stuff for me!
Tim,Cheers,some good points there......especially re the Tool Sites,ALWAYS worth a shufty through:thumb2:
Jim,Oooooh....... Get you with your Double Handed approach there.....coming at the task in a pincer movement eh Sir?!!...... That`s just showing off that is!;)!
Dave,Thanks for that,if and when i do relent and buy one,that`ll be the one i chose!
Andy,I`ll check it out!!..... Yeah,It really does need to be spent...... trouble is the other half would rather waste it on food and bills and other unnecessary stuff:flushed:!!
Simon,As Always you come through with some Gems mate! I`ve looked at that Amazon link for the Files,and despite having some in a set already,i have ordered aset of those 5,will keep them purely for etch stuff then:cool: !!
Well,that was a nice bit of education for the day,thanks all once again,now it`s time for a cig,glass of wine and then Etch on the Staghound!!!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy I'm another with that Small shop bending thingy. Seems ok , didn't know about the Trumpeter ones in those far off days so I would checkout theirs as well . If they are anything like their track tool it will be worth it.
Bugger!! So slow at typing i missed you there John,Thanks for your input mate....... you got track tool machines as well have you?!!......
.....Christ I`m a Ludite!!:astonished:

• Love
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I’ve got Small Shop, Trumpeter and cheapo Chinese off Ebay versions in various different sizes - would definitely go with Trumpeter if I had to buy again
Sorry Simon,missed you also!!
Well,amongst all those Brands you have there i`d say you`re in a good position to give a weighty opinion!! Duly noted!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bugger!! So slow at typing i missed you there John,Thanks for your input mate....... you got track tool machines as well have you?!!......
.....Christ I`m a Ludite!!:astonished:
Well I've got one ! Use it occasionally and quite enjoy managing a right angle :smiling2::smiling2:, anything more complex can be a challenge !

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I, like Jim, have the large Small Shop bending tool. However I rarely use it. I find its invaluable for large and complex items that need to be bent into shape. However most PE only needs one or two bends and I find the flat nosed smooth pliers more than adequate and used constantly.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The bending tool that I bought is also the Trumpeter one and can be had for £19.99 about as cheap as it gets from the UK.

Andy.

First Name
Noel
I have a small half round diamond impregnated file that I have used for years on Photo Etched.
For bending PE parts I simply use a pair of flat smooth pliers as used in the jewellery trade.