"eternal war of the poor man"

R

rogue-one

cheers for the advise paul. it is a duel action brush with gravitiy feed, 0.3 t0 1.8mm spray. or something like that. button push down, button push back. it will take me a bit to get used to it. i'm gonna have a practice on some plastic bottles or something. and cheers graham for your advise to. it's good to realise things aren't that hard and people find there own methods. going to the model shop 2moro to get some thinners and some more paints, then give it a bash.

and martin, good luck with yours.

R

rogue-one

KV-1 tank built and ready.

hi there guys. thats me built up my 1/35 scale russian KV-1 tank. it was a good build but i did have one or two problems. i don't know if the trumpeter kit was a bit dodgy or if it was just me. i found the top back panel of the tank did not fit at the back of the body. it could have been that i did something wrong (the instuctions were not really that specific). so, i had to carefully cut 3mm off the plastic then also adjust the wheel frames at the ends too. but after the head scratching and looking at the kit intructions upside-down and back-to-front, ha ha, i managed to sort it all out. i think the finished build turned out ok. i happy with it. it has some good moveable parts and nice detail.

also, i broke one of the hooks that hold the front wires ( they where so small and weak and the plastic attachment in the kit was a bit think, struggled to cut it out safely) so i ended up making my own with thin metal wire. i think this is better anyway coz they hold the front wires stronger.

all in all it was still great fun tho.

View attachment 25274

View attachment 25275

View attachment 25276

CIMG1960.jpg

CIMG1961.jpg

CIMG1962.jpg

B

bikerbart

Looks the business Bobby, well done bud, especially as you had to make adjustments and improvise. What paint scheme are ya ganna use, you going to weather it up as well? Looking forward to seeing it all painted up mate, great build, well done, regards Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bobby

That is a really nice build. The KV looks flawless, broken pieces or not the cable restraints are a very nice upgrade in my opinion. In fact I'm finding it hard to believe you haven't done a tank before!

Well done mate, looking forward to seeing this complete.:welldone:

Have fun and good luck with the airbrush, this tank just needs a top notch finish now!

Cheers

P

R

rogue-one

cheers paul. it certainly was harder than the spitfire but like a good puzzle, a lot of fun. i think i've became a fan of them.

and martin, yeah, i've been looking at a few other kv-1 tank and a few photo's and i think it's got to be painted with a grassy green colour, it doesn't seem to be a olive drab colour tho i will probably paint it in a dark drab then high-light in main areas with a grassy green. then ofcouse try and give it a good weathering with rust, mud and the usual.

i was also maybe thinking of making it carry a few bits of stuff. i just need to find out what sort of stuff a tank carrys into battle, if anything.

R

rogue-one

just a quick question for anybody, what is the best thing to thin my acryilic paint for the airbrush? i'm being cheap and i've just read a thing saying that window cleaner is good and water is fine. anyone got advise?

C

Cov1

Hi Bobby, Ive been reading up on airbrushes after just sorting one out. Ive tried water with tamiya and it didnt work out, Ive tried actual tamiya brand thinners and its great, Ive also tried car windscreen wash and its mixed results. Trial and error comes to mind, though I might perservere with windscreen wash as its miles cheaper and use the thinners to clean the brush. Use eye dropper to obtain 50/50 mix like milk and use disposable shot glasses which got of intenet to mix up.

Nice KV pal:cool2:

Ade

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Windowscreen wash smells better too!

N

noble

Bobby mate the KV1 looks quality a very nice build, if your using Tamiya paints don't thin them with water as it doesn't work i love tamiya acrylics so i use there own brand thinner and mix 50% paint 50% thinner.

scott

A

andygh

A couple of things, when you say windscreen wash do you mean the concentrated stuff or the pre-mixed job?

I've not been airbrushing very long but I found that buying the specific paint for airbrushes helped me to guage the consistency when I was mixing my own

Love the model it looks very neat, especially like the towrope turnbuckles

R

rogue-one

cheers scott, cheers andy. i think its just the blue stuff "windex" or something like. something to do with having isopropanal or butoxethanol? being new to all this myself i'm not to sure but i believe you have to watch what your doing so you don't ruin your brush. you can easliy google it and see what others are saying.

R

rogue-one

start on diorama.

inbetween working on my tank i have made a start on my dio. giving me a better idea of what i'm doing. i've cut a base and postioned some card for hilly areas, small branches for trees cut bottle tops for craters and a bigger cut bottle top for an explosion. i still might add a barbed wire fence and few other bits but you get the general picture. also made a frame for the finished thing (my favourite and easyiest bit seen as i do that sort of thing all the time). if anyone whats to help me with ideas i'm happy to hear them.

View attachment 25409

View attachment 25410

View attachment 25411

CIMG1963.jpg

CIMG1966.jpg

CIMG1967.jpg

B

bikerbart

This really gives a good idea as to how you will achieve the final dio Bobby, looking like it will be a brilliant job matey, well done bud, Martin :smiling:

N

noble

Bobby mate this is lookin good love the layout, keep posting those pics and keep up the good work.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bobby

This is looking really interesting. I'm particularly intrigued to see how the bottle 'explosion' develops. Have you decided what material you will use for the ground work? I use a fabulous product called Sculptamould which is a bit like plaster of paris mixed with some sort of paper like material - but it makes for great scenery that you can mould into shape.

It's taking shape!

Cheers

Paul

R

rogue-one

hi paul. i havn't actually decided what to use for the ground. i was gonna use either plaster, filler or silacone which i have lying around.not sure whats better