European Bunker Day. Shrine of the Sacred Heart

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I am sure everybody is aware that today is European bunker day, no? Why not?

To be honest, i only found out this afternoon. We seem to have days for everything!

In the spirit of EBD I am posting a couple of photos of a unique bunker.

As you know Guernsey wss heavily fortified, loads of bunkers being built, each for a specific pupose. This one was built to house a searchlight.

In the 1960's Hubert Le Galloudec got permission from the States of Guernsey to clear out a bunker at Fort Hommet to make a seashell shrine. All of the shells were collected locally by Hubert and his wife, the result of his hard work is the Shrine of the Sacred Heart.

14263840-DE49-4544-A756-017AAD216E32.jpeg

2F653C05-96A1-4964-87CA-7DD7E4B4A319.jpeg

B8440807-9307-444E-92CA-4DEB9B5E3774.jpeg
The shrine has its own website which is impressive, including a full 360degree, movable camera view with full details of all of the pictures - it is well worth visiting the website: Here

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Very interesting Peter and a fitting conversion from purpose. I also remember the little shell-covered chapel on the island.

As it is IBD, these were the last I visited:

download (12).jpgdownload (13).jpg

(Not my photos, for discussion only).

There are a pair of these at Rye Harbour where the River Rother enters the sea. The tables inside are stands for machine guns and I think the designer inadvertently swapped protection for a wide field of fire - you stand no chance behind those embrasures.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
That’s a good way to make use of an old bunker, thanks for sharing Peter. :thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter - I agree, not a lot of protection there.
Fernando - happy to share, quite nice to make a place of peace and tranquility out of an object of war.
Steve - that is a beast of a bunker

Peter