Everyone is talking about it-Testing out Google Earth

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Google Earth.If you have not tried out the fabulous Google Earth yet then what are you waiting for ? pan into any area of the globe and literally see your back yard with the garden shed,you can even tilt the image to ground level so see roads,rivers,airports from ground level,and once more it is totally FREE.

The imaging streams North,South,East,West and by manipulation of the mouse the image magnifies into ground level,well almost.

To demonstrate the potential I did three tests,one is the area of Nassau,one the centre of Leeds and the other aircraft on the ground at Coventry airport,you can read off details never before imagined possible,as a learning tool it is second to non,for online route preparation it backs up your cars GPS by pre-planning,set route A/ to route B/ and the route prepares itself in front of your very eyes,if you need watering holes or businesses then these are also marked as overlays.

This has only got to get better,geographical survey work is constantly being updated and areas of coverage improved all of the time,every flying field,boating lake and model raceway is on there somewhere,check co-ordinates by hand if you know them for precise locations,give yourself a bit of time because this sure is addictive stuff,lets do our own mini tour to see the potential-

e07a2aa0.jpg

Spaceship view of Nassau,note the area to the right is shaded,by placing the cursor to the right brings into view the overlap area of the map ( not on this fixed image here ) scroll forward with the mouse and it brings you down to ground level,ships,boats,buildings can be clearly seen.

e08aec80.jpg

Leeds centre,you can get closer than this if you want to,high resolution photography ensures pin sharp imaging,the tilt slider below the arrows ( on the original ) brings you down to a few degrees,play around with it to see the potential.

e09a4c20.jpg

Aircraft parked up at Coventry airport,the map follows a contour so the more you move across the earths surface the better the image.

So find out your own locations by checking it out now.

B

Bunkerbarge

Barry,

If you look at the Nassau map and find the word "Nassau" in lower case. Follow a line directly north and you can quite clearly see the quay's where we tie up.

The island across the top of the map is called Paradise Island and effectively forms a natural harbour between it and the main island.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I've been trying this on and off since they started, it used to be a bit naff but they have made it loads better, the maps are a bit out of date, at least a year but someone told me 2 so not sure.

This is my house the buildings with the red lines through them are no longer there got pulled down round about February.

home.jpg

Oh and looking at this picture I'm not in :smiling3:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Uncanny Richard & John,you are right about the improvements of late,certain areas are a bit sparse,I am told that a lot of the upgading is due to weather flights,the conditions need to be perfect to fill in the voids for the topographical overlays,give it another 18 months or so and it will be much improved.

Flight sim material seems to be linked to this material as well.

A

adzam

could be worrying if you found a strangers car parked in your driveway john :smiling3:

P

periscope

Also it's great for metal detecting - crop marks and some other points of interest only show up on an aerial view ie Roman and Anglo Saxon sites. Only snag is it doesn't run on my computer (windows 98)..... just thought I'd mention it...

Ian

B

Bunkerbarge

Funnily enough I have just tried it on this afternoon on my new laptop. It really is a stunning site and cold keep you occupied for hours!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sadly it is showing a void just on the perimeter of Coventry,otherwise I could have showed you my hangars down to a few feet,my old address still shows a shed that I built 40 years ago in the back yard,you can see the rofing felt peeling even as the present occupiers have let it go to rot,incredible detail.

I had never thought of using it for metal detecting ? but it makes good sense,since I wrote the last piece areas of Ireland have improved dramatically so they are obviously working on it all of the time,when it is finally finished it will be really be a force to reckon with,glad that you are enjoying using it Richard.

N

Nigel.D

I already use it for metal detecting some of the fields and farms around colchester and chelmsford are amazing

B

Bunkerbarge

I've just been looking at houses I lived in as a kid. Absolutely fascinating.