Explosions

First Name
Steven
Hi Guys,

whilst looking at members dioramas (ahem) and YouTube videos it seems that creating believable explosions seems incredibly difficult and time consuming. Has anyone tried and been successful?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steven , I've had a go at the doing rockets in launch see Aeroplast BM 13-24 Katyusha in 1/35 scale.
It was tricky but enjoyable . You need to convey the sudden movement and the explosion.
Like you I've seen a few on U Tube , have you an idea to build one ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not an easy thing to model I would think. The problem is the airy nat of the beast so you can’t use solids. I’ve seen a couple of successful attempts, of which John’s has made at least two. The rockets was his most recent, but he also did a T34 crashing through a wall that used similar ideas of flying debris very successfully. I’m sure John will give you pointers, but you may have to look around a bit to find out how to make other effects.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
Explosions are indeed very hard to model. John is too modest to put a link to his excellent Katyusha build so I will. HERE
Jim

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The big question is what do you want to explode?
Water explosions are more simple its water and foam which can be done with glass clears silicon and paint.

It gets a lot harder when its hot burning gasses and smoke. You are for all intent trying to model air.

First Name
Steven
This guys “explosion” work is incredible

• Love

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Food for thought there alright .It's a fascinating subject to say the least . Now where are those matches !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
This guys “explosion” work is incredible

Have met this guy personally and seen his builds up close and they're good. Works best with LED light's on.

Cheers,
Richard