F-14 tomcat

L

loubo1983

alrite guy's an gals.

new to the forum and hope to pick up some tips and share some experiances i've had.

started as a kid but only picked it up recently after about 16 years.

this is my completed revell "play boy" black f-14

if i'm honest this kit was a nightmare compared to my AH-1 cobra.

poor, poor, fit on many of the parts. and i don't have any filler or fancy tools like air brush kits (yet)

even so i think it came out ok. the pics do it more justice than up close lol. (to many brush strokes)

i also left the AIM-54's off as well as their launch rails as they just did not look right. looked too big and out of scale.

enjoy and any tip's criticism's let me know.

cheers lewis.

View attachment 31988View attachment 31989View attachment 31990

View attachment 36927

View attachment 36928

View attachment 36929

View attachment 36930

View attachment 36931

View attachment 36932

View attachment 36933

View attachment 36934

View attachment 36935

View attachment 36936

View attachment 36938

View attachment 36939

View attachment 36940

DSCF3291.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

DSCF3293.jpg

DSCF3294.jpg

DSCF3296.jpg

DSCF3297.jpg

DSCF3298.jpg

DSCF3301.jpg

DSCF3302.jpg

DSCF3303.jpg

DSCF3304.jpg

DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3306.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Loubo and welcome to the forum.

I took the liberty of moving your post to the Aircraft picture section, as it had landed in a section for group builds.

Well if that is your first build after a 16 year pause, it looks like you have gotten off to a go re-start. From what I can see it does look rather good. (why is it that most aircraft look good in black?)...

As a tip it is always a good idea to include the scale of any builds you post, along with the maker and name of the kit. I am sure there are many that would like to know, and is an often asked question.

Once again welcome and we all hope that you find this a great place to be.

Ian M

L

loubo1983

ah thank you for moving my post, my appologies.

the kit itself is the revell 1:48 F-14 black tomcat. it is all out of the box with no aftermarket parts. though if some one knows where to get good scale Aim-54 pheonix missels and launchers i may put them in.

the true aircraft itself was painted in the all black "playboy" suit briefly in 1990 where it was given the designation VX-4 vandy 1. this same designation and tail number, as well as the playboy suit was applied to an F4 phantom during 1998. i found a picture from the london international air show.

McDonnell Douglas F-4S Phantom II VX-4 The Evaluators Vandy #1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and the real F-14 (same as in the model i just did)

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vx4-04l.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
First build in 16 years, you certainly picked a big one, still, in at the deep end - why not. Well it certainly looks good, lack of AB etc isn't always such a great hinderance.

One tip for taking pic's I was told about is use the timer (if the camera has one) this will help avoid that little bit of shake when you press the button.

Great return to an absorbing hobby,

Regards

Colin M...........

L

loubo1983

cheers. :smiling3:

never thought about the timer, good call.

kinda wished i had taken some pics of the cockpit before i fitted it, as i think i did quite a good job on it.

and yes it is a very absorbing and addictive hobby.

if i'm honest i find the bigger the aircraft the easier it is. well for the intricate painting lol.

thanks for the advice. i look forward to asking silly questions in the future lol.