F-14A Tomcat diorama; VF-41 Black Aces; Finemolds 1:72

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Not much time for model building last week as daughter had high fever and ear infection but nevertheless I managed to finish something during the weekend.

f14wip-24-XL.jpg

Dryfitted the wings and tailerons and attached the fins - Tomcat, baby!

f14wip-25-XL.jpg

Was playing with different shades of metallic colours, picking out single petals, and attacking those with washes. I’ll further putt a matt coat on them as they’re too shiny now and probably add a little more staining.

f14wip-26-XL.jpg

And dryfit of the nozzles - They look really nice attached to the fuselage. Had to bypass instructions a bit so I can remove and install them later in the build.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Some beautiful work on display Seb. Your avatar reminded me of the Russian biker late for work UTube video. PaulE

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
f14wip-27-XL.jpg

After a coat of AMMO One Shot primer I've put a marbled coat of Lt. Ghost Grey on.

f14wip-28-XL.jpg

Marbling was first done coarser and will be made finer later.

f14wip-29-XL.jpg

f14wip-30-XL.jpg

Before final painting I added brown marbling on the areas of higher wear and tear.

f14wip-31-XL.jpg

f14wip-32-XL.jpg

And the final subtle effect. But the painting is not done yet.

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Last post of 2018!

f14wip-33-XL.jpg

Did further weathering of the overpainted panels and added grime and dirt on the most often used panels.

f14wip-34-XL.jpg

f14wip-35-XL.jpg

Added antiglare panel, over-intake walkways and painted the canvas bags and airbrake interior.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Seb just lookin through your tomcat 1/72 build an I quite like your work .now did the kit come with all the panel cutouts ? or did you cut them out ? an I cannot acess page 2 is there a reason for this ? chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi again Seb ive managed to assess page 2 of your excellent build an im following your build for the enjoyment of seeing a great build coming togeather an hopeing it will help me in my own build as my wife bought me a big 1/32 scale trumpy tomcat for crimbo .But could you answer the question 's in my thread above please when you get time an I hope your daughter is v-much better chris

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply. Yeah, what you see is what you get! I'll only be adding aftermarket wheels and ejection seats for even a little more detail. It's quite an impressive kit but the cost is reaching more into 1:48 range unfortunately.

anyhow here's a few in progress shots:

f14wip-36-XL.jpg

The interior compartments were give a coat of White paint.

f14wip-38-XL.jpg

Afterwards the details were painted and a wash was applied to enhance the shadows.

f14wip-37-XL.jpg

The right hand side was given the same treatment.

f14wip-39-XL.jpg

With all the details painted and wings and pylons attached, it's time to gloss it up and finally start the decalling process!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Seb thank's for your answer on detail but honestly the model you have got there is brilliant for a 1/72 scale . As it has more detail eg. cutout panels on the right side of the plane
than both of my 1/48 tomcat an the 1/32 super tomcat that's the reason I asked I will be following your build so lookin forward to some more posts when you can do so

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be able to show some decalling love soon

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
I've hit the builder's block with this build when it came to decals. The only company that did the decals for the scheme I'm building, were Airfix. They have included decals for one of the VF-41 line birds from the JFK's 1997 Med cruise as well as CO's bird of VF-14 Tophatters with really nice tailart. The latter however has two serious problems - one side of the decal sheet is pretty badly off register and Airfix managed to screw the pooch with Modex numbers - the real bird carried 214 while Airfix printed the 201.

Anyhow back to VF-41 option. While the decals are surprisingly thin and the tail art decals fit perfectly, almost all other decals are like 15% too big. The "NO STEP" decals, compared to the Microscale sheet I used in the end, looked like 1:48 compared to 1:72. So yeah, in the end, some scheme specific decals were used from Airfix, others were mostly Microscale and some from a Fujimi kit (which had quite bad adhesion).

Anyhow all the troubles behind, here she is, ready for the next level of weathering.

f14wip-40-XL.jpg

f14wip-41-XL.jpg

f14wip-42-XL.jpg

f14wip-43-XL.jpg

f14wip-44-XL.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've hit the builder's block with this build when it came to decals. The only company that did the decals for the scheme I'm building, were Airfix. They have included decals for one of the VF-41 line birds from the JFK's 1997 Med cruise as well as CO's bird of VF-14 Tophatters with really nice tailart. The latter however has two serious problems - one side of the decal sheet is pretty badly off register and Airfix managed to screw the pooch with Modex numbers - the real bird carried 214 while Airfix printed the 201.

Anyhow back to VF-41 option. While the decals are surprisingly thin and the tail art decals fit perfectly, almost all other decals are like 15% too big. The "NO STEP" decals, compared to the Microscale sheet I used in the end, looked like 1:48 compared to 1:72. So yeah, in the end, some scheme specific decals were used from Airfix, others were mostly Microscale and some from a Fujimi kit (which had quite bad adhesion).

Anyhow all the troubles behind, here she is, ready for the next level of weathering.

f14wip-40-XL.jpg

f14wip-41-XL.jpg

f14wip-42-XL.jpg

f14wip-43-XL.jpg

f14wip-44-XL.jpg
HI Seb it turning out very nice an it will help me when I start on my big 1/32 tomcat to see how you do wheathering i'll be watching good work this
chris

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Landing gear was improved by the use of Albion Alloys brass tubing and Plusmodel lead wire
f14wip-45-XL.jpg

Landing gear painted up and weathered.
f14wip-47-XL.jpg

Tomcat after light washes
f14wip-48-XL.jpg

f14wip-49-XL.jpg

f14wip-50-XL.jpg

Final look after specific panels were further weathered and certain panel lines over painted.
f14wip-51-XL.jpg

f14wip-52-XL.jpg

f14wip-53-XL.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hello Seb well I love your wheathering an all the hatch covers off that's what I hope to do on my big super tomcat when its rotten wheather an I cant work on my ship build as im starting that soon just sources mateials for now. but I don't think i'll be able to do wheathering as good as you have done as ive never tried it yet got some panel line wash but things always come up to stop me from building but its bills mostly as they all due in the nxt couple of months when they out of way then I can start but back to your build its great:cool:
lookin forward to more an are you gonna fit a hinge on the nose so the radar can be seen ?
chris

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice build Seb, allready learned a lot here :thumb2:
Cheers
Steven