F-16C Block 25/32 Falcon - 1/48 Tamiya - Finished

C

Caledonia

Been busy finishing off this bird. One of the best fit kits I have made so far - as good as the Hasegawa TF-104G Starfighter. Only small critisisms for me is the longitudinal canopy seam that had to be got rid of, and for me the decals were slightly on the thick side although the print was excellent. Attached are some photos which I hope you like, details of the paints used and some of the techniques for removing the seam and painting the inside of the very long air intake can be found in the 'under construction' section. I have included the last photo as requested by Paul (AKA Trickey66) showing all my low-vis aircraft, all are 1/48 except the 1/72 Typhoon. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28461

View attachment 28462

View attachment 28463

View attachment 28464

View attachment 28465

View attachment 28466

View attachment 28467

View attachment 28468

View attachment 28469

View attachment 28470

51-F16.jpg

52-F16.jpg

53-F16.jpg

54-F16.jpg

55-F16.jpg

56-F16.jpg

57-F16.jpg

58-F16.jpg

59-F16.jpg

60-F16.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice job Derek. Isnt if just fun putting all those decals on the ordinace!

I know what you mean about the seam on the canopy but I think you did a great jog of loosing it.

From what I have seen under the build of your Tamiya, I am very inclined to say that the Kinetic one I did not so long ago is a case of same kit different box. I wonder if they have an agreement with Tamiya?

Very nice bird Derek.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Derek

Great looking F16! - Got to get me one of those!!!

The growing fleet of fast jets looks awesome - keep em coming.

5 stars for a fabulous F16 *****

Cheers

Paul

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Nice job Derek. Isnt if just fun putting all those decals on the ordinace! I know what you mean about the seam on the canopy but I think you did a great jog of loosing it.

From what I have seen under the build of your Tamiya, I am very inclined to say that the Kinetic one I did not so long ago is a case of same kit different box. I wonder if they have an agreement with Tamiya?

Very nice bird Derek.
Thanks Ian, Your comments on the Kinetic range is interesting, they do some interesting models, might just invest in one shortly. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hi DerekGreat looking F16! - Got to get me one of those!!!

The growing fleet of fast jets looks awesome - keep em coming.

5 stars for a fabulous F16 *****

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul, The Fast Jet photo is a bit deceiving; the perspective suggests that it is the same size as the F-15, whereas in reality it is roughly 15% smaller. In fact the 1/48 F-16 is roughly the same size as my 1/72 Sukhoi SU-33. Cheers Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking job Derek, how you 'Jet wollahs' have the patience, let alone eye sight, to tackle all those decals is worthy of the highest praise.

Very well done.

Ron

B

beav1013

looks awesome. you really put out some great looking aircraft. i'm always impressed with your finished paint jobs. great job.

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron and Jim, many thanks for your kind comments. The F-16 was the last of last years x-mas presents, was holding back to gain experience thought it would be difficult but it just fell together, the Tornado was a much harder kit. My next model will be a tester, it comes with a reputation - the Airfix 1/48 E.E. Lighting F6, have bought a pile of photo etch and a cockpit. Will be starting it after a short break. Thanks again for your interest.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi derek , stunning build as usual, you must be well chuffed with that one!! Great shot of the four models together too. I particularly like the splash of colour on the f16 , very similar to ians lovely job with the danish markings. 5 stars from me , cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony and Andy, many thanks for your comments and the 5 Star, your and everyone's support is greatly appreciated. Have made out my wish list for Santa and you will get quite a surprise, no jet engine, no propeller not even wings or rotors - watch this space. Cheers Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Derek, dont tell me youre straying to the dark side!!! (armour!!) seriously though , with your painting skills you should find it no problem, looking forward to whatever it is ! cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, OK I'll put you out of your misery, I have been looking to do a static model of an Aberdeen Steam Trawler for some time now, and scanning the internet I found that the Caldercraft Milford Star (1/48) was actually built in Aberdeen by Hall, Russell and Co. Ltd and launched in 1942 as the Sir Gareth for the admiralty for minesweeping duties. This design of Trawler was based on Hall Russell's 1936 Round Table Class Trawler. In 1946 she was bought over by the Walker Steam Trawler Co. Ltd converted back to trawling and renamed 'Star of the East'. In 1958 she was taken over by the Milford Steam Trawler Co. Ltd. and renamed the 'Milford Star'. In 1964 she was bought by Westward Trawlers Ltd, Milford and renamed 'Radilais'. She was eventually scrapped in 1967 and broken up in Cork.

My late father was a Trawl Skipper for much of his working life many years ago when life at sea was really tough (not like the recent T.V. program), so although he didn't serve on this particular Trawler it is as close as I am going to get to a ship of his era circa 1920 to 1960.

Many Trawlers were sunk by Mines both during and after both wars, and quite a few by U-Boats, they didn't waste a torpedo but sunk them by gunfire. I remember going onboard many Trawlers in the 1950's and going out into Aberdeen Bay where the Trawlers did speed trials and adjusted their compasses after being in dry dock.

I have obtained a drawing from the Aberdeen Maritime Museam of the Sir Gareth, and plan to convert the Kit to the Star of Orkney A421 built 1936, attached is a photo taken of a model of this ship in 1957 in the officies of the Walker Steam Trawler Co. Ltd Aberdeen.

From my experiences with the Billings 'Cutty Sark' (see photo gallery) ships take about 2 to 3 years to built so I haven't given up aircraft, will be doing the Lightning before I start and one or two in between, it becomes a war of attrition after a while. Will do the Trawler Under Construction when I get started next year..

Sorry for the long reply. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28728

Star of Orkney.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
A trawler !! Never saw that one coming derek!! Its great when you have a personal interest in a subject though, really brings it to life. Your dad must have been hard as nails, as all the fishermen are, a VERY dangerous and hard job , im sure it will be great and a fitting tribute to your dad, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

I remember about 20 years ago building the Billings Crab Fishing boat. All nailed and glued plank hull. It was a great experience to do it and it really is a craft job rather than a build. Not sure if I could tackle one now, don't have the workshop space anyway but I know you are going to get a lot out of doing this one Derek. As you say, not a quick project but the smell of the wood and the use of tools on wood, it is what modelling is all about. I remember making a tiny pin hammer at work (worked in engineering then) out of stainless steel bar and a small file handle for the little nails. Memories eh......

Look forward to seeing it come alive, get that keel laid......

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, yes it should be a special build. Cheers Derek

Hi Graham, unfortunately the kit has a GRP Hull, which is good and bad as the GRP allows plating detail, but spoils the fun of making the hull. I started this project many years ago scratch builting from ply wood etc, see photos attached but this was pre-internet days and could not get the fittings. Cheers Derek

View attachment 28760

View attachment 28761

View attachment 28762

DSCN2350.jpg

DSCN2351.jpg

DSCN2352.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well knock me down with a feather! No way I would of guesed that one. I think its safe to say welcome to the dark side.

i am sure, knowing you, it will be a super model when done.

C

combatvf24

Looks great! I really like the way the shading came out. Wish you had a little more to show of the pilot/cockpit, but from what I saw it was a wonderful job!