F89 Scorpion

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this one is for fun........im sharing even though im building it for a GB on another forum.......theme is 'What if' so imagination can run wild

F89 was a bomber interceptor from the 50's to late 60's and was used only by the USAF

plan is what if it was a bit better than it really was?..........what if other NATO countries bought it?.....after all surely they would have had a need to intercept Soviet bomber?

going to replace the various missiles in the kit (Falcons, Mighty Mouse and Genies) with Sidewinders which is timeline correct as they did replace the under performing Falcons, grey/green camo and either Belgian or Dutch markings

kit is an old Revell one that i aquired with no decals or instructions

2a7xx53.jpg

nzelpj.jpg

ae73hv.jpg

2501iqg.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i already have.........i even emailed them to myself at work so i could use the printer there cos im a cheapskate.......then left them in my desk! :rolling::rolling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
going to replace the various missiles in the kit (Falcons, Mighty Mouse and Genies) with Sidewinders which is timeline correct as they did replace the under performing Falcons
I’d think AIM-7 Sparrows would be more likely, given that the AIM-9 was a US Navy missile that the USAF adopted somewhat grudgingly. On the other hand, Sidewinders need far less kit in the plane and are a lot cheaper.

grey/green camo and either Belgian or Dutch markings
The choice there is obvious: red/white/blue roundels of course look far better than black/yellow/red ones :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I’d think AIM-7 Sparrows would be more likely, given that the AIM-9 was a US Navy missile that the USAF adopted somewhat grudgingly. On the other hand, Sidewinders need far less kit in the plane and are a lot cheaper.

i disagree........'winders are more comparable to the Falcons, from a similar time frame..........both are short range where as the Sparrow is a medium range.........dont think it was that grudgingly :smiling: falcons perfomance in combat was terrible.......upgraded sidewinders are still being made after 60+ years!....even the Soviets copied them

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
True, but the AIM-7 was a USAF project while the AIM-9 was US Navy. The USAF only got them because they were pretty much forced to buy F-4 Phantoms that more or less came with Sidewinders, and only when Vietnam showed that Sidewinders were better than Sparrows and Falcons, did they really embrace them, AFAIK.

Of course this is all speculation, and since this isn’t going to be a USAF model anyway, the cheaper Sidewinder would probably be more likely anyway. Neither the Netherlands nor Belgium ever used Sparrows at all, though of course, they didn’t use F-89s either :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats the joy of whiffs.....dont need to follow the rules

years ago i did a whole series of aircraft along with a few thousand word back story about how the axis powers overrun western europe, a large chunk of russia and northern africa in 1940s........USA stayed neutral and became isolationist since pearl harbour never happened......british commonwealth aligned with the soviets

technically both belgium and the netherlands do use the sparrow.........both have frigates that use the sea sparrow variant :tongue-out::tongue-out:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
years ago i did a whole series of aircraft along with a few thousand word back story about how the axis powers overrun western europe, a large chunk of russia and northern africa in 1940s........USA stayed neutral and became isolationist since pearl harbour never happened......british commonwealth aligned with the soviets
I’ve built a fair number of 1/35 scale military vehicles based on the setting of the Twilight: 2000 roleplaying game. That gave the a cool opportunity to build modern, 1990s AFVs kitted out much like those in the Second World War or Vietnam had been instead of the much cleaner way they usually appear on exercises etc.

technically both belgium and the netherlands do use the sparrow.........both have frigates that use the sea sparrow variant :tongue-out::tongue-out:
Good idea, paint it in MLD colours and markings, and stick naval launch boxes under the wings!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
this is one weird looking plane........chunky fuselage, spindly tail and big flat straight wings

ready for a shot of primer, see what it looks like before i start painting

nmb1xe.jpg

ivliqq.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well it certainly has looks only a mother could love. But that just makes for a most interesting subject for us model makers.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
I have to agree with Colin a strange looking beast but you are making a fine job of it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You know, I just realised that the F-89 really looks like somebody had lying around a fuselage from an early jet fighter, a tail from a light aircraft, and a set of wings from an early jet bomber, and decided to stick them together.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
its going Dutch.....next step is some matt coat then final assembly.....keeping it simple, need it off the bench asap ready for next project

2vmevb6.jpg

wqwwzk.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking at those Sidewinders, how long are you supposing the KLu kept this thing in service, then? :smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking at those Sidewinders, how long are you supposing the KLu kept this thing in service, then? :smiling3:

they only used Hunters for 6 years before moving to the F104 which they for 20+ years so who knows