Face Masks

First Name
Gary
If I'm going down the route of using more lacquers then a face mask is important even in a well ventilated room. But there are so many. Some appear useless at stopping fumes, which is the whole point. So any recommendations, again, appreciated

D

Deleted member 5496

Yes gary.

I use Valuair Plus. https://www.honeywellsafety.com/SKU..._-_Compressed_-_Reusables/30883.aspx?site=/uk

It is a good mask. It has a valve which open & closes as you breath. Breath out the valve opens & all you air is expelled out. Valve closes as you breath in & the air comes through the two filters.

The filters are most important & with this mask there are a number to choose from. I use Tamiya XF & X paints mostly . So from the list I chose Spearian T41- 6000 CE0194 which match the paint type.

There are types with just one filter on the front. I would say keep away as it will restrict vision. The above mask has them on the sides of the mask & does not obstruct.

This is the one that I use there are others but the criteria is the same for each as above. Valve filter types & filters on the sides.

Not to forget change filters depends on usage on frequency of change.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 7181

Minefield! :smiling5:

Pretty much the industry standard is the 3M "fly mask" 6941 , found in bodyshops everywhere. It offers a good level of protection and has tons of adjustment for a good fit on most faces. It's recently been upgraded to the 6941+ which has a better exhalation valve, but I've hardly noticed the difference myself so don't worry if you can only find the previous version.

If you want to go for the replaceable cartridge type, then the 3M 06782 is a decent choice. It has separate filters for vapours and particulates, and comes with 2 sets in the box.

My personal favourite would be the Moldex 7000 . I have the previous 6000 series and find it a bit lighter and more comfortable than the similar 3M. It also has an easy quick change system for the filters so you can remove the vapour filters and just use the particulate ones if you are sanding for instance.

You can also get full face versions, like the 3M 6000 or Moldex 9000 series that protect your eyes from the irritation that can be caused by organic solvents, but for airbrushing I think they are OTT unless you are particularly sensitive.

Always keep any mask (or the filters) in a sealed bag or container (like a tupperware box) when not in use to prolong the life of the filters, and bear in mind that these masks are only rated for clean shaven folks, as beards can interfere with the face seal. At the concentrations we work at I doubt it will be a problem, but thought I'd mention it.

First Name
Gary
I have the rugged macho morning stubble look so I should be ok :tears-of-joy:

I agree it’s a bit of a minefield but advice is perfect so thanks all

First Name
Gary
Just ordered the Moldex 7002 which is the “ultra” light model with the two IP3 filters. £36 but well worth it. The wife has suggested she will wear it when she sorts out and washes my underpants. No idea what she means

D

Deleted member 7181

Good stuff. Does it come with the vapour filters too (A, B, E rated, sometimes K as well) like the one I linked to above, or just the P3 particulate ones?

D

Deleted member 7181

The vapour/fume filters are round plastic cartridges with coloured bands indicating their rating. A & B are the most important for our use (higher number = better) E is for acids I think, K for ammonia)

The P rated filters (again, higher is better) are for particulates, like dust or dry overspray. The are normally white, paper like items.

In the link above for the 7000 the mask she has on, the vapour/fume filters nearest the mask (blue/grey/brown) then the P filter on the outside of this (it acts like a pre-filter for the main one too)

EDIT: the short video on that page might clarify how they fit

First Name
Gary
Moldex arrived, the 7002 medium size. Weighs next to nothing and very comfortable. No filters yet as they arrive tomorrow but I can wear this with ease which is what worried me but it’s fine

One question is can I wear just the fume filter for modelling and save the p3 for woodwork etc ? It suggests I can in the video but what is the norm if such a thing exists ?

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
Fitted filters and did some sparying of a black primer and no smell or hint of fumes. Even with the filters the mask is light. Wearing the combined fume and P3 particulate filter although as above I could probaly save the particulate filter.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You need both Gary. Solvent can be bad, but paint particulates aren’t great to breath in either.

First Name
Gary
Good point Tim. Supported by several industry articles including Moldex. It's no biggy as the mask is very easy to wear with both filters on