Fading tank paint colour

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thinking of building my King Tiger and would like to make a little more effort on this tank. Yes i was pleased with my first armour build in the STuG GB but i'd like to progress a little now.

How would i go about fading the tank paint so it doesn't look new? Bit like this on the Dragon box art.

Dragon King Tiger 01.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A quick and easy way (aka cheap and nasty), I use is a simple dusting coat with a pale sandy colour.
Mixed thin and sprayed from a distance that is enough for the paint to mist out but not so far that it dries befor landing.
Another one I have used is dry pigments very lightly dusted over the model then sealed with an appropriate fixer.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dunklegelb fades very nicely if dry brushed with Naples yellow light oil paint. Because the paint coating is so light it will dry overnight with no issues.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Tim. But what about tri-colour tanks like above?

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hope this helps Alan.. granted it's on a F-4 Phantom, but the sequences are basically the same..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve always faded them during the airbrushing stage. I painted the cam colour and then used buff to lighten the base colour and lightly sprayed inside the edges of the cam.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I used an oil filter of Burnt Sienna and Titanium White heavily thinned down on the STuG and it sort of faded the paint. But in some ways it just didn't look right.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Titanium white is pretty opaque, so it is very hard to get it even when used as a filter, that’s why I recommended the Naples yellow. It allows the underlying paint to grin through so reads as a more even paint colour. Another colour that is great at fading paint tones is a light flesh. It is a very warm white so doesn’t kill the tint.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Just found a video that might help, it gives a few basic tips for weathering armour, and gives a good explanation of the oil dot filter technique ... (09:25)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. That dot filter looks rather labour intensive.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andy the "Paint Guy" gave me a tip awhile back on an aerial recognition flag I was doing for the hood of a captured truck....the flag of course was German and that bright red was hurting my eyes. He suggested a wash of thinned Neutral Grey.........Toned it right down and gave it a nice sun faded look. Rick H.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the shout out Rick :thumb2:

When this first came up I did have a similar idea, but since I've only tried it (so far) on small items I didn't know how well it would go on a full vehicle. That is, desaturating the colours with a bit of neutral grey before applying.

In my mind it should help to avoid the toy-like look of really strong colours without too much additional effort, but as I say, I've never tried it on a large scale so maybe somebody, perhaps Tim, could give an opinion on whether the theory might work in practice.

Lightly applying the colours over a grey background ought to work in a similar way, but requires much more precision.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
. He suggested a wash of thinned Neutral Grey.........Toned it right down and gave it a nice sun faded look. Rick H.

what brand of paint and thinner? id like to try this

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
We’re gettIng into scale colour here LOL. As Andy has asked, here is my take on this from a brush painted special effect perspective. If you want to replicate zenithal lighting or other sprayed effects, well that is a horse of a different colour........

The neutral grey wash will tone down and desaturate the colours quite nicely. It is mimicking atmospheric pollutants such as dust and smoke that you would look through when viewing an object from distance. This is what is commonly termed a “filter”. You paint it on in a controlled fashion without flooding the area. It then adjusts the tone of the underlying paint in a controlled fashion, like using a filter in photography. If I were doing this I would use a glaze medium to make the filter. This slows drying time and enhances transparency so making it easier to get the paint on in an even fashion. This effect will not work well using a light colour for the filter because of the white component in light paint. White is opaque so will give harsh transitions. The best filters are made from dark paint or ink thinned sufficiently to give the required effect.

Adding neutral grey to a colour will desaturate the base colour and mimic the same effect. However, you must be careful with this because you may get unwanted effects. Yellow brown could turn green, or red brown take on a purple hue, depending upon pigment interaction between the colours. Practice this first off the model.

Of course, these effects just mimic atmospheric pollutants. If you want to show actual faded, stained, or discoloured paint then dry brushing high areas with a paler desaturated version of the base colour, or using spots of appropriate coloured paint is the way to go. Personally I would do this with artists oils. They are easy to correct when you get paint where you don’t need it, they are very finely pigmented so give very nice fine transitions, and they are slow drying which enables far finer drybrushed and faded effects than acrylics. Naples yellow light is fantastic for fading out Dunklegelb for example..... Prepare the oils by squeezing a blob out onto a square of box cardboard and allow the oil to leach out. This will enhance drying speed and minimise glossiness of the paint. Doing this I’ve never had oils dry glossy on me. You smooth out the transitions using a brush that is barely damp with thinner. Don’t use decorating grade white spirit for this, by the way, it’s harsh and may remove the underlying paint....great for cleaning brushes, but not for working with paint....get some Sansodor or similar, much less aggressive and smells better.

These techniques work for me. Take as much or as little as you want from it, and if in doubt, just push paint around and try it....you can always put it right if you don’t like it...

I apologise if I’ve got any artists terms wrong or been unclear in my reply, but as always, if you are unsure what I mean, please ask....

Hope this is of use!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Alan, not sure if this is the kind of finish you are looking for, but for what it's worth here is my Meng King Tiger. Just painted three colour camo with Vallejo and then a brush coat of the W&N matt varnish. You can thin it with water but I just splash it on neat.
IMG_0486.JPG
Hope this helps you. All the best,
John.

D

Deleted member 7181

Adding neutral grey to a colour will desaturate the base colour and mimic the same effect. However, you must be careful with this because you may get unwanted effects. Yellow brown could turn green, or red brown take on a purple hue, depending upon pigment interaction between the colours. Practice this first off the model.

I wondered where this had gone. Page 5 already :surprised:

Thanks Tim, maybe not as straightforward a shortcut as I thought.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well on your recommendation Tim. I've got myself some Naples Yellow oil paint lol