Falklands, 1982 Group build chat

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I shall watch with interest. Remembering this well, had a neighbor who was in RAF bomb disposal and went out to help with the munitions disposal. Some might remember reading about him sleeping next to a unexploded bomb to alleviate fears of it exploding . He told me later that he was convinced it was safe, but as so many were concerned it was the best thing to do .
I hope your neighbour retired happily, later on in life.

Reactions: JR

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
April is here, well it was a few days ago, apologies for my delay in opening this group build, but we're off.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
40 years ago today._methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_8efc8a9c-bd78-3754-819f-a1d669c08e07.jpg
Acting Lieutenant Keith Mills with Royal Marines from HMS Endurance and Naval Party 8901 defended South Georgia from a position around King Edward point in the face of a determined Argentine attack.Having been ordered to put up a token resistance and to inflict no fatalities Mills said "we'll at least make their eyes water".The marines destroyed a helicopter and damaged the corvette Guerrico before deciding to call it a day.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I hope your neighbour retired happily, later on in life.
Yes he returned safely Colin, and is now retired . Think it was a shock finding himself out there but played his part .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well gentlemen, the end is nigh for this group build. Thank you to the brave few who joined in.
Apologies to Colin and everyone in this GB for my non-starting. After last year's fantastic model completion rate, 2022 has proved to be an extremely busy year with life and work which has meant I have had no time at the model bench whatsoever. Again, please accept my apologies.