Falklands Conflict Diormama. Barn. Jersey Treading Post

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Building all the equipment used by the British Forces in the Falklands Conflict.
The barn wind generator fences are all scratch built.

The barn is an authentic, near, copy of typical although some are more delapidated.
Thought that would be over the top & probably thought as being over dramatic.

The two Landrovers series 2 & 3 are rehashes of the British army Snatch. The Helicopters
a Wasp, Scout & Gazelle. The two tractors cast complete items gloss rubbed of & effects
added.

This is only part of the diorama which is 8ft, 2.4m long & will have 15 vehicles aircraft &
helicopters.

The Jersey Trading Post is just stupidity but it was fun doing.

Laurie

AwuRdh.jpg j8VriC.jpg olmLia.jpg VxjjlD.jpg 4XoyYw.jpg DfzoS2.jpg KuapnW.jpg gFgq8P.jpg BC9Alh.jpg Qeytsh.jpg oqtHRR.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great to see it all together Laurie. Is there much more planned ?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks great Laurie. Did you scratch build the barn yourself? Also, the background - is it a model rail background? It really sets the scene.

Cheers
P

PS. I see a sneaky Skyhawk underneath - Argentine?!!!

D

Deleted member 5496

Looks great Laurie. Did you scratch build the barn yourself? Also, the background - is it a model rail background? It really sets the scene.

Cheers
P

PS. I see a sneaky Skyhawk underneath - Argentine?!!!

First yes it is a an argentinianSkyhawk P. I was going to have a two pat diorama on one shelf. But not neough room so it is now two shelves.
Argentinian & British.

All that you see barn, fences generator are scratch built. The back ground is one of a lot of backgrounds. This is the nearest i could get to a
Falklands one not bad but not quite there but it will be close enough. The doors are made out of plastic sheet using panel scribers to get
the effect.

Laurie

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Laurie

Quite a project, a whole lot of work.

Question: how do you make Jersey Royal potatoes taste even better?

Answer: with a knob of Guernsey buttter!!

Peter

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi Laurie

Quite a project, a whole lot of work.

Question: how do you make Jersey Royal potatoes taste even better?

Answer: with a knob of Guernsey buttter!!

Peter

Oh heck you are a really mixed up guy Peter. Do you not realize that the Jersey
Cow produces the best butter in the world.

Ok Guernsey cows not bad. But do you realize that Jersey Cows are a lot further
south than the Guernsey types. More luscious pasture land.

Another advantage of Jersey cows which you will not know. Such ignorance tut.
Never mind. So here to improve your, obviously lacking, bovine education.

In Peru their cows dwell on the side of steep hills. However they keep falling
off the sides of the hills.

But panic not to the rescue. Yes Jersey Cows. They are able to navigate these
tough hills sure footed & provide the world's best milk, cream & yogurt.

Laurie

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Banjour Laurie

I disagree. Actually, the world's best butter is from Guernsey cows on Sark!

À la perchoïne

Peter

D

Deleted member 5496

Banjour Laurie

I disagree. Actually, the world's best butter is from Guernsey cows on Sark!

À la perchoïne

Peter

Dear oh dear Peter. A Jersey bovine fact.

A quote. If you read about the differences between the Guernsey and Jersey breeds, you will see that Jersey's are known for their slightly higher butterfat content.

There we have it signed & sealed.

Thank you.

Laurie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Laurie, that's a nice set of Falkland stuff. Did the UK have any hard top cabs for the series 3?

My fellow country men are constantly duped by vegetable and palm oil packaged as butter and always wonder why butter on toast tastes better overseas. Dairy butter ofcourse trumps them all. Butters from these two islands are a rarity here and only found in specialty stores at crazy prices...might just get one of each just to tell the difference.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Laurie, that's a nice set of Falkland stuff. Did the UK have any hard top cabs for the series 3?

My fellow country men are constantly duped by vegetable and palm oil packaged as butter and always wonder why butter on toast tastes better overseas. Dairy butter ofcourse trumps them all. Butters from these two islands are a rarity here and only found in specialty stores at crazy prices...might just get one of each just to tell the difference.

Cheers,
Richard
Thank you Richard. Series 3 I do believe they had as i copied from one.

Tell the difference. Easy. Jersey butter is the best in the world. That is the difference.
I kid you not.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard sorry not to have answered you post sooner.

The only Landrovers available at 1/48 are the Snatch British Army (Defender).

I used two Snatches & altered them to a series 2 & 3. That meant a complete rehash of the roofs.
Complete new backs. Windows pierced in the sides plus packing out under the windows.

Both had to have the rad recessed back for which I made two new grilles. 2 new bonnets Quite an
effort but enjoyable.

Laurie

waXb7F.jpg HWicVq.jpg KiGVxT.jpg KldBKW.jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That's a lot of work Laurie on the conversions for the front and back. End result is good and well deserved. I did a conversion of the Italeri Series 3 kit to a hard top cab and separate canvas top for the back with cage wire mesh sides. It had a full radio com's rack. It's fitted onto my R&R dio which surprizingly is not posted here.

Here's a snippet of the conversion and final look...

rr0069.jpg rr0070.jpg rr0074.jpg rr0075.jpg rr0076.jpg rr0077.jpg rr0080.jpg rr0082.jpg rr0084.jpg rr0085.jpg rr0089.jpg rr0091.jpg 1.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Nice work Richard. What scale are you on there.

DIY can be tedious at times but well worth the effort in the final out come.

Laurie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Laurie, my dios are basically in 1/35 with an occasional 1/72. I try to keep DIY to the minimum unless its a particular version not in the market and its worth it if you have the patience and reference.

Did I mention that the next most saturation of Landrovers Series other than the UK is a Farmland/Hill Resort in Malaysia called Cameron Highlands where tea is planted.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 5496

Thanks Laurie, my dios are basically in 1/35 with an occasional 1/72. I try to keep DIY to the minimum unless its a particular version not in the market and its worth it if you have the patience and reference.

Did I mention that the next most saturation of Landrovers Series other than the UK is a Farmland/Hill Resort in Malaysia called Cameron Highlands where tea is planted.

Cheers,
Richard
Great to drive. I had a Defender. Bit dangerous as it did not have the non skidbrakes. In the
wet one day I ended on the wrong side of the road.

Also on a list for moving old people in sever weather. Accomplished one on raods with slush then
frozen. Scary even with 4 wheel drive. Then I went to a series one Discovery for pulling a caravan
they were great cars.

Laurie