Falklands Shar. Harrier South Bound

T

tecdes

View attachment 50451View attachment 50444View attachment 50445View attachment 50446View attachment 50448View attachment 50449View attachment 50450

So such a beautiful aircraft in so many ways. Looks good incredible as you build it to realise what an achievement by British Aircraft designers & Engineers. So much in such a small air craft.

View attachment 50447

The Falklands work horse duo in pre south bound livery.

Bad Bits

To many

Poor wing root joints

Panel lines raised & not replaceable where lost during sanding

Rivets raised ditto

Detailed pieces supplied as complete

Travesty the little air inlets in the side of the air intakes non existent

The raised lines representing the above just mostly missing

Good bits

Decals very nice but some impossible to fit into supplied space

Nice model in looks when complete except for air intakes

Colours very representative of Shar as they flew on to Carriers bound for the Falklands

Really good engine detail

View attachment 53127

View attachment 53128

View attachment 53129

View attachment 53130

View attachment 53131

View attachment 53132

View attachment 53133

View attachment 53134

8.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now thats a cracking job Laurie, got to love the Harrier (think it the law). Great five star build.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having build the same kit I can only agree that it is a bit basic, but it is quite an old kit. Despite the floors, it does build into a good model. Let us hope that some one picks up the gauntlet and produces a new tool of this iconic and historically important aircraft.

Any way. You have proven that it builds well with a bit of a spit shine. A great result.

I feel a five star award is in place! Nice one Laurie.

Ian M

A

andyrobs

Hi Laurie, whatever problems you had with the build mate, its an absolutely cracking job mate!!! Top notch and well worth a big 5 stars

Cheers, Andrew

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Laurie. Despite its flaws, I still want one.

Colin M..

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Well done Laurie, a beautiful model from a poor kit.

5 well earned stars from me too.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great Sea Harrier Laurie, love the finished product. I'm guessing, from looking at the instructions in the pics, that the kit was a Tamiya? What scale is it? Sorry, I tried to find a build thread for your build but couldn't find one.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Thanks for your comments all you model makers.

You are right Joe forgot to mention it is a Tamiya 1/48. As Ian has mentioned suspect it was old kit or bought in from another manufacturer. It is my first Tamiya but from the enthusiasm for Tamiya & its build this is just one of those that does not make the grade.

One point I did not mention on the downside is the 4 thrusters. They were just awful. Spent half a day trying to improve which they did but were still yucks.

Laurie

T

tecdes

Joe did not answer your last loint. I did start with the intention of publishing the build & took some photos. Then got a bit despondent about the kit. Always finish a model but lost the enthusiasm to show the build.

Next one I will though which I am very excited about.

Laurie

K

Keith9657

There are some cracking Tamiya kits but sadly, this isn't one if them. Despite that, you've made a fantastic build from it. 5* from me, Laurie. Well done for persevering. I have a black hole in the back of the wardrobe for when my enthusiasm wanes.

Keith

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Now that's a very nice clean build Laurie with some great engine detailing and as you say the decals have come out really well. By the way what paints did you use on the engine? 5* from me too.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Thanks Keith & Vaughan appreciated.

Interesting Vaughan as you have picked what was for me the highlight. The two paints on the engine look stunning better than the photo in the real.

Vallejo Gunmetal 71073

Vallejo Chrome Silver 71064

They both have a real metallic look about them. As usual best bit is hidden in the fuselage. Such is model making a cross to be born.

On the main parts both were airbrushed. Superb paint as they allowed for my hamfistedness. Put the silver on a bit thick but it spread out & dried perfectly.

The small detail was handbrushed. Would not handbrush large areas as I think they would turn out streaky. At least with my technique ?

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Joe did not answer your last loint. I did start with the intention of publishing the build & took some photos. Then got a bit despondent about the kit. Always finish a model but lost the enthusiasm to show the build.Next one I will though which I am very excited about.

Laurie
Look forward to your next build Laurie, always a pleasure to view your work.

C

CDW

Seem to have missed this one Laurie.

In short ... a very tidy build representing an iconic aircraft :smiling3: :smiling3: