Favourite manufacturer?

First Name
Steve
Just a question in between building, What everyone’s favourite kit manufacturer?
Having recently returning to model making I’ve tried a few different ones.
Impressed with my Revell Patrol Boat, also IBG Scammel Pioneer.
Would be interested in your thoughts and recommendations.
Steve.

First Name
Michael
Unfortunately, it's far from a simple question. Several manufacturers have improved their kit quality immeasurably over the past five years - for example ICM and Special Hobby - where their latest offerings are really great. Probably there's more variation in quality among Revell kits than other brands but that's purely a very subjective comment that others would dispute. You need to do your research on each particular kit you might fancy. The Scalemates website is fabulous for a starting point giving tooling dates and access to the instruction manual.

I do have a small number of favourite kit manufacturers but each one also has a few dogs in their catalogues, so naming them wouldn't be of much help. However, In the 1/72 scale, all Arma Hobby and Clear Prop! kits are quite exceptional. The Internet is a wonderful resource tool. Watching a YouTube unboxing review can be most helpful. There are hundreds of these available to view.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For me, there are really no favourites - I try to judge each model on its' own merits. Having said that, makers like ICM have consistently produced good models, and show constant improvement. I'll have a go at models from any maker ( providing it falls within my range of interests ). You get some real dogs & some real gems!
I only judge on the basis of actually having made the model - not just being in my possession, or on my wish list! This generally precludes more modern models by Takom, Meng Trumpeter etc. - that aren't in my stash because of their high prices ( yes - I'm a tight old git!! ).
However, there are one or two makers that I will steer clear of ( track record & research ), the worst being 'Starfix' in my experience!
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The two best, meaning best fitting and easy to assemble kits I have made in the last few years have both been Tamiya large scale (1/32) aircraft kits.
Like this:
IMG_2486_websmall.jpg

It really depends how you define best. I had easily as much fun assembling an Iconicair Seafang from one of their resin kits, though for very different reasons. This kit does not build itself!

P1000213.JPG

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I can’t say I have a favourite as such but as I mainly build aircraft operated by the RAF and other allied countries my stash is dominated by Airfix kits.

I do have a sprinkling of other manufacturers though depending on the subject.

As some of the previous posters have said it pays to research the actual model you want to buy first though by checking inbox and build reviews as all manufacturers models can vary in quality depending on when the kit was first tooled, whether it’s a re-boxing of another manufacturers kit etc.

Geoff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of those 200 different replies from 200 people questions.
Some love Tamiya because the fit is good and the newer kits well detailed.
Some love Revell because they are cheap and the detail is good *again on new tooled kits.
Some love Dragon cause there are loads of bits. *even more leftovers when finished.
Some will only go for resin models because they are 'experts' and expensive.
There are also those that go resin because it is the only option.
Some go vacuum formed because they masochistic
Some only build expensive kits because expensive is better than cheep.
Some build cheep because they know a cheep kit can be just as good as an expensive one.

Me? I build what there is of the given subject. (if it is not to expensive that is). Dont really care what the label on the box says.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Me? I build what there is of the given subject. (if it is not to expensive that is). Dont really care what the label on the box says.
Same, though if there is a choice of makers for the subject, I do tend to pick the one that is likely to have better detail. For example, Tamiya kits are easy to build but simplify details, while AFV Club kits have a lot of fine details but are harder to build; if both have a kit of a vehicle I want to build, I would usually buy the AFV Club kit over the Tamiya one. However … that said, the new Tamiya 76 mm GMC M18 looks to be a much better kit than the 25+-year-old AFV Club one, which in turn is rather better than the similar-aged Academy one … So if I do want to build one, I would probably buy the Tamiya version, not the AFV Club one :smiling3:

In short: it pays to first of all think about what it is you’re looking for in a model kit, and couple that to a little research into what’s available for the thing you want to build so you can see which kit suits your preferences best.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My favourite is the manufacturer that makes the best version of the subject I want to build next.

Having said that Eduard, Tamiya, newer ICM

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
From a pure building AFV's point of view, Tamiya by far. As for the overall expectation I would always check different manufacturers options and choose the most accurate. If there was only the one option, I would always be prepared to give it a go.... unless it was devoid of any redeeming features.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is very personal and it depends on what your interests are and what you most like about modelling.

For me my favourite subjects are 1/32 WW2 warbirds and Tamiya are supreme in this but Zoukei Mura come a close second.

ICM also produce very good kits in this scale while you can get some good Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits among some pretty awful ones.

Look out for a new manufacturer about to produce their first kit in the 1/32 warbird space, Kotare Models, it is the old Wingnut team and we can expect great things from their Spitfire Mk1 when released later this year.

GWH have produced their first 1/32, a P40, soon available in the U.K. and it looks like a winner.

My next purchase though I expect will be the Border Models 1/32 Lancaster for a cool RPI of £620 and it looks as if it will be worth every penny.

First Name
Jean-Marc
I personally do not mind love the old stuff, love the news stuff as long it's not another ME-109 ,P-51,.....ALOUETTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !