Fenlander's Hummer IDF Ambulance

F

Fenlander

Hi guys, sorry I am late but I have not been anywhere near the bench since the dogs chewed my kits up before Christmas!!!!

Anyway, my intended build is the Academy Maxi Ambulance converted to IDF (Israeli Defence Force) Using the Legend resin conversion set and Blast resin wheels with the 'Aggressive Tread Pattern and new style rims'

The basic kit:

The Blast Resin wheels

And the Legend Resin conversion set

Hope to get started before, or at, the weekend.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks like a good project. I will look forward to that.

Sooooooo Do the Dogs dare come near you yet? LOL

Ian M

P

Polux

Fantastic model Graham!

This conversion set looks really interesting. I will look this one with interest, I'm sure you will do a very nice model!!

Good luck friend!

Polux

F

Fenlander

Oh yes, but they had better not get near this kit lol :knight:

F

Fenlander

Cheers guys, I hope I can make a good job of it, seems ages since I actually finished a kit, might be a bit rusty but we will give it a go :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

A fair bit of progress today, more than I expected to be honest lol

First up, the chassis

Then the first bit of resin, the bonnet/hood grill is a different pattern on the IDF version so the original had to be cut out and the resin one fitted

Next up is the floor pan

Then a start on the bodywork. There will have to be some internal detailing in here as I am leaving the back doors ope. There is a full interior including stretchers but it needs a bit of pipe lines putting in for electronics, oxygen lines etc. Need to do a bit more research on that. There is a floor to be put in as well. I need to step back a bit now to decide how far I can go without making it so I cannot paint or detail the inside but have the bodywork as much built as possible.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
nice start buddy like the conversion so far...nice to see you building again

F

Fenlander

Good to e building again John, that is why I am keeping it simple and not going for loads of PE etc, I want to get this one finished. Thanks for the support.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Blimey,he's off and running!

I'm hoping for a chance to finish my current project in the next couple of days after which I'll try to catch up with mine :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

Thats a nice start Graham.

The chassis and floor pan seems to be common to the one i have to build, nice to see how it should look before i start on it :smiling3: :smiling3:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Some nice detailing parts there Graham, should be a fun build mate.

Have fun, John

P

Polux

That's a very nice and clean start Graham.

Looks very good so far.

Have fun. Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Good to see youre back in the saddle graham, i bet youre really enjoying this one. The kit looks very nice and i cant wait to see it with all the resin on and painted. cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Graham the chasis is looking sharp,glad to see you building again!

F

Fenlander

Cheers guys :smiling3:

I did say that I needed to take a step back and see just how much I could build before painting started. I have fallen foul of the issue of building a model that has interior detailing to the point where I could not effectively paint the insides. Patience is not one of my strong points. This model is a classic of how easy it would be to go a step too far as it has some 'interesting' construction concepts that I will detail here.

First of all, because this kit is an adaption of a basic hummer to make it an ambulance, the body, well the rear body, has had the most new parts added. This includes a false (additional) roof and floor for the back. So, up to the stage pictured below, it is a standard Hummer

To make it into the ambulance, the outer body parts are added to give it this shape

The next image shows that without the roof, the over cab extension has the two panels that in the real vehicle gave headspace for crew moving from the rear to the cab. However, as it stands, these two sloping panels will never see the light of day once the roof is on.

The rear body has a inner roof as can be seen in the rear of the picture, in the foreground is the outer roof and rear panel

This next shot shows the additional floor that goes in and the bulkhead separating the cab from the ambulance body. In fact there are two more side panels to go in which actually cover a fair amount of the bulkhead details. In the centre of the bulkhead is the crew access door.

For additional interest and to utilise those over cab roof panels, I decided to pull it apart and cut out the crew access door to position it as open. It looks messy where I pulled the floor panel off but it is not in its final position here, just roughly placed so that will clean up OK. The two lines on the floor sides just behind the thin vertical bars are the location points for the two additional panels mentioned above which will cover a lot of the bulkhead when viewed through the rear doors

So, before I can go much further, I have to paint and detail the inside of the Ambulance body before I can put the false roof on. I also have to paint the cab interior and fit the glazing before I can mount the rear bodywork. Only then can I add the rear panel and outer roof before painting the exterior. All in all, a bit of a puzzle to build and it does mean building a fair bit after a lot of finish painting has been done.

Well worth taking a break and forming a strategy before just slapping glue on and getting stuck.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looks good Graham. Nice detail......Posty has yet to deliver my contribution...Might be difficult for him, as I've yet to find anything suitable and a bit different from the norm for this SIG build.....

Ron

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very interesting Graham it's a little like having two kits in one, having to build paint and weather/wear the interior, then build the exterior around it. I'm sure you will crack it and do a great job of it