Fernando N's Airfix NA Mustang IV

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Like some others I’ve been looking forward to this GB to simply build OOB with basic tools and materials:nerd:.
Chose this one since it’s been more than a decade I’ve brush painted a whole model plane….:rolling::
The contents of the box:
Great moulding quality, wish Airfix was like that when I was young.:tongue-out3:
Painting and decal instructions on the back of box:
Tools of destruction to be used together with some simple household items (pegs, white tack etc.):
After the recommended soapy wash and drying with a cloth, started assembling the office and prop.
First coat of paint on and although I’ve never used this stuff, it isn’t that bad to work with:
Hope it looks right as layer one tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

ps. The poly cement is good for us glue sniffers, really strong smell, haven't used a tube in years....:upside:

• Wow
Reactions: JR

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Nice to have another one and by the looks of it a few will be finishing rather quickly.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando.
Seat near the window for me please ! :sick:
I'm going to enjoy watching you make something great out of this as in your normal way, even with a few tools.:surprised:
John.

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi everyone,

Peter, thanks although initially it looked so painting took up a lot more time…:thumb2::rolling:
Jim, thank you OOB and off the beaten path.:thumb2::smiling:
Pete, thank you too, great tip BTW for the brush cut mine too and the larger area's were better looking afterwards.:smiling4::thumb2:
John, thanks seat near the window is also next to the bench, lucky you.:thumb2:
But seriously the smell from the tube is only a bit stronger than the Revell Contacta Liquid I always use.

After painting the main colours (green and black)of the office a bit of dry-brushing and a couple of details were picked out:
When the fuselage halves were joined, assembly was quick and strait forward, got most together and ready for paint in a couple of evenings.
Really liked how this one came together and will definitely get another to build with the full bench available so to say….
First painted the wheel wells and gave them a light wash of diluted no. 33:
Although I thinned it a lot, the effect was enhanced by the matt surface immediately soaking it up before I could wipe away the excess, still ok to use as a wash for the rest.
Next up was the main camo scheme, each colour took two main coats and two more rounds of touch-ups:
This was the phaseI dreaded most of the build’’ putting the decals on’’, apart from some trouble with the yellow bands on the leading edges they went on fine enough and are still on(swear I could hear the MicroSol and Set laughing when I was fretting about).
Used the paint to get the bands to stay on in the end and hopefully the wash will cover up any remaining silvering.
The big GA S and roundel decals came out best with the least silvering and best fit of all:
Only to paint the canopy now and some weathering to finish her off.:hugging-face:
Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Buddy,

You really banged this one out quickly. It seems you got a good handle on the paints too. Not too shabby for only having one brush. I'm not too sure about that FatMax though. Looks dangerous to me...

You still got all your finger tips??? PM tomorrow…Kinda behind……….

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
swear I could hear the MicroSol and Set laughing
I am also frightened of how the decals will go on. I hope they go as well as yours. You have mastered the paint as you have a very acceptable finish
I wouldn't mind building another Vampire and using all the usual stuff.
Nearly there.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Eye catching work there Fernando.:thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wouldn't mind building another Vampire and using all the usual stuff.
I'm planning to do another Spitfire starter Jim, with all the usual. Is this an idea for yet another GB? Anyone else interested?

Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fernando,
did you actually manage to open ( and close ) those little pots, without getting paint on your hands? However carefully I did it, all 4 pots gave me a smear!
Dave

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Ralph, thank you.:thumb2:
Allen, thanks buddy great kit = quick build but more on that later and the FatMax is easy for me, have more injuries with the knives and scalpels the others use…:smiling:
Pete, thank you and if I read correctly Peter allowed it, I only use it for holding parts together of as a handhold to paint parts, not to fond of any paint creeping underneath.:smiling4:
Jim, thanks and the paint finish is as grainy as sandpaper but smooth enough to have decals stick on it, using the paints as glue also helps.
Good luck with your Vampire.:thumb2:
John, thank you.:thumb2:
Dave, following the tip from BBdave I used a piece of sturdy foam package which already had a suitable hole in it for holding the pot in use and as a handhold when opening it with a medium sized flat screwdriver.(see pic below)
Still had a bit of paint on my hands each time…:rolling:

A bit of shameless self-promotion here:nerd:, last week’s build pic was featured on Airfix’s FB page ‘’Workspace Wednesday’’:
Sent them a mid-weathering pic to show how far it progressed in a week:smiling5::
Well the weathering turned out to be a challenge on its own, with the thinned paint applied on the matt paint it left stain like finishes and those were later toned down dry-brushing colour back on.
Started lightly for the lower fuselage and adding a drop or two more for the upper colours, ending with dry-brushed Black for the exhaust and gun muzzles and ports.

Gluing the canopy on turned out to be a less than desired result, even with a bit of selective weathering over glue stains the canopy still looked awful, so in the end I used the other one in the kit and ‘’painted’’ that one on and blended it in.
Windshield had two sprue marks to camouflage, which succeeded reasonably.
All finished now with a bit of silvering and lifting decals:upside::
And with all the tools and household items used:
All in all a pretty good kit to build even for a beginner, apart from a mismoulded antenna the plastic parts were perfect will definitely make more 1/72 P-51’s from Airfix.:thumb2:
The brush turned out to be a useful one after the cutting of some bristles, the glue and paints are just good enough for the result but I won’t be trading in my standard selection for these.:tongue-out3:
Oh and after using all in the amounts just needed, I still have half a pot of each over and more than half a tube of glue, these will end up in dio somewhere in the future.:thinking:

Will add more photos to the completed section soon.
Thanks for looking in and have a great weekend.
Fernando

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
That is an excellent result. Well done indeed.
It just shows what can be achieved. Even though you have stuck to what was in the kit you have been able to use your experience and skills so a real beginner would struggle to get this end result. It seems to be a nice kit. Many of these starter kits are new releases and are very nice. My Vampire is faultless regarding mould quality and fit.
Well done again. I really like it.
Jim