Fernando N's Hasegawa SU-33 Flanker D ''Yellow 13''

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi all,

With the GB almost ending I thought why not add a different looking jet to the line-up…:
A bit of background info:

Ace Combat is an arcade flight sim series from Japan.
This one comes from Ace Combat 4 ‘’Shattered Skies’’ and is the plane of your main adversary in the game, only in the end you get planes good enough to tackle the SU-33’s of Yellow squadron.
Hasegawa also has many others from the different games in the regular 1/72 scale.:hungry:

Instructions:
The sprues:
The splinter scheme is provided as decals:
Having started last week with pretty decent fitting parts and not so much this was the result after a few hours:
Modified the undersides to be a flying one, not perfectly fitting but still good enough:
The pilot and the rest of the cockpit got their colours and decals on today, not much can be seen of the IP or flight jackets decals anyway:rolling::
Little modifying on this one apart from changing it to a flying version and adding a little base. :smiling:

Thanks for looking in and have a great week.
Fernando

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Little update on the Flanker today, due to work and such only a couple of things but still…:upside:

After the office work had dried completely, canopy was glued on and masked off entirely.
For the frames Hasegawa provides decals and as they need to match the colour of the splinter scheme, I’ll give it a shot, can paint them still if the decals don’t work as planned.:thinking:

Gave it a coat of VJ White primer before spaying the White parts in two rounds, even with White primer as a base VJ White is still very translucent.
After masking the White nose, intake insides and part of the starboard stabiliser it was time for the metallics, Silver around the gun and engine nozzles, Steel for the upper and lower engine plates of the fuselage:
Little shall be done over the weekend as the schedule is full with a running match on Sunday and a visit to Militracks tomorrow so I’ll be drooling awhole day over two Stugs, a Nashorn, Hetzer, various halftracks jeeps trucks and a grand show of Samur’s Panther.:tongue-out::tongue-out:

Have a great weekend everyone.
Fernando

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Fernando, I remember these egg planes by Hasegawa. I got the F-16 with the witch on a broom stick. I didn't seal the decals in so they turned brown with age. Taken some knocks.

This must be new...looking forward to the finish and decalling.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Ralph, Jim and Richard thanks for looking in guys.:thumb2:

With the other hobby taking up a bit more time of late, any free time for this one was limited but that was also good for the various coats of paint and varnish to have ample drying time.
Won’t make the deadline for the GB, hopefully not with too much days over it…:rolling:

The top and bottom coats were the easiest to spray after the various panels and nose cone were masked off:
This lot was used for the AB work and subsequent corrections of paint-creep:
With the touch-ups complete the usual coats of VJ varnish in preparation for the decals was applied and left to dry for a week.

Having a long weekend with a national holiday today and a mandatory day off tomorrow (how bad can that be:smiling5:), the splinter camo decals have made their way to the egg-plane:
Due to the various curves a lot of MicroSol was needed and a touch-up here and there, good thing Hasegawa gives colour call-outs for those decals too and my conversion to Vallejo worked out fine.
VJ 71.259 Grey violet RLM 75 joined the palette for the dark splinter and in a mix with RLM 76 for the lighter colour too.
Also started on a simple base but more on that in the next update.:smiling:

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando.
Decals look superb, when I first saw them futher back on the build I thought they would be a nightmare to apply.
You've certainly got the better of them .:thumb2:

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening,

John, thanks I had the same thoughts initially, some of the patterns are two or three pieces and luckily Hasegawa gives a little sketch of the required orientation of them.:smiling4:
Pete, thanks and thank you for setting up this GB, great way to some other sort of model making.:thumb2:

With the warm weather, many sunlight and ample time the last decals were applied yesterday, only the red striped walkway decals proved to be a problem with much silvering.:rolling:
A light and medium grey wash for the bottom and top and dark brown was added to dirty it up.
Even after a coat of VJ Satin overall, I removed the offending bits of decal carrier film and re-coated the Satin.
Next was to remove the canopy masking, clean-up a bit of leaked paint and then apply the final decals for the frames:343831
These needed a bit of corrections and a finishing coat of Satin too.

Last steps were to install the IR sensor, wing pylons and engine nozzles, no glue was needed as the test-fit was final.:smiling:
Final thing to do was to drill a 3.5mm hole in the bottom for the base.:smiling4:

Made a simple base from a tape container, added 10cm of 3.2mm clear rod to an appropriate hole in the top and hot-glued it in.
White primer and four coats of the VJ RLM 04 followed by a coat of Gloss, added an Erusean roundel from its bigger brothers (1/72)decal sheet more Gloss to seal it in and the base was finished:
Inflight now:
Was really good fun building in this GB and again thank you Pete for organizing it, I’ll take more pics for the completed section soon.

Fernando