Fernando N's Revell 1/48 Bf 110 G-4

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi everyone,

I’ll be building this twin engine night stalker (as a first one?) for the GB, nothing fancy planned in regards to AM stuff so just a simple OOB with some improvement here and there as required:smiling:.
Mostly chose it so it finally clears the shelf and the paint scheme of the box art one will be a neat challenge to complete, thanks to Alan for starting this GB :thumb2: .

For now here are the sprues and enough to clean up I see:
Decals and instructions, the good old Revell style:
Hopefully I can start on it later in the week.
Fernando

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Fernando,

When you do, I will be following this as I have always loved a 110 and I know you will do a bang-up job on her! I will PM you in the morning buddy. I hope it has cooled off in Almere a bit. Here in Bamberg it is still in the 30°s daily and not much cooler at night....

Prost
Allen

PS, Killer concerts too my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Fernando i have this in my stash. It is a 2nd hand kit that someone started so i'm hoping it's all there. If you wanted to see some hints and corrections for this kit then there is a book with the build in it. It's called 'Modelling the Messerschmitt Bf 110 - Brett Green (Osprey)'. Good read

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening,
Sorry for the late update….progress wasn’t as fast as hoped, combine that with another build, concerts and a heatwave, this tread had fallen a bit to the wayside.
Allen, thanks mate hope I can meet your expectations :thumb2: .
Al, thanks for the info:thumb2: I’m keeping this one OOB with some scratch-building and that’s it:smiling:.
By chance do you happen to know a book that has the best photos of a BF 110 especially the interior?
I hope to get me a Eduard one or two after this one:thinking:.
Ian, welcome sir:thumb2:.

As I plan to keep the canopy closed, I just followed the instructions in building the office.
Deviated in the overall interior colour to VJ 71.097 Medium Gunship Grey, and added seatbelts for the pilots seat made from masking tape and thin copper wire.
All other colours were from the instructions and I used my creativity to paint the various side instruments and panels:smiling4::
Nice to see where the kit came from and how old the molds are:smiling5::
After joining the fuselage sides together with the nose cone added, I started on the tail since the less than stellar fit needed some time to dry…
Enough cleaned-up on just these parts and a couple of lumps replaced with 0.3mm brass wire to replicate the hinges and rods turned to this:
The fuselage seams required their fair share of sanding and filling, followed by re-scribing the panel lines as best I could:
Mr.Hobby putty is great stuff:hugging-face:.
As I started to tackle the engine nacelles and wings, more sanding and filling involved, the wheels and drop-tanks were built as a change of pace between all the sanding…:
Hopefully the rains can hit my place too soon:rolling:, so the heat can leave the house and I have more energy to moggel.
Thanks for looking in and have a great week.
Fernando

Attachments

• 20190723_202100_resized.jpg
    20190723_202100_resized.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Fernando,

It looks like the heat has left your house buddy. The IP is incredible as is the whole office. I see you have been using the 10/0 brushes again. It must be nice to have such a steady hand to make the details pop with the color!!! Seatbelts are great too!!! Top job my friend………..

Prost
Allen

PS, Rained for over an hour earlier and it didn't help at all...…...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic looking cockpit fernando , loving the scratched belts, cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
Just caught up with this. That cockpit is stunning. Sounds as if the fit is a bit poor in places.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Fernando.
I shall join the gang and let Allen explain the finer points.
Promise to behave and not shout out !

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
very very nice .... the me110 is one of my favourites .....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great. It wouldn't really be a model with out a bit of sanding and filling would it ?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fernando, the 110 is looking the biznizz. Thought 1997 didn't seem too far back until I counted back. The office is wonderful. Gotta get off my but and start on a night fighter soon.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening everyone,
Allen, Alan, Tony, Jim, John, Bob, Ian, Lindsey, Mick, Colin, Richard and Paul, thanks for the kind words guys:thumb2:.
Allen, it has cooled down since Wednesday here, although at my worksite it still was 30 degrees on the scaffold in the gym:smiling6:
Tony, I just scaled back the ones I did in the Toon challenge:smiling4:.
Jim, indeed the fit is poor at most of the major joints but that comes with an older model and this keeps the sanding skills up:tongue-out3:, see some of the pics…
Colin, true but this might be a short run one with so much to do:smiling5:.

Well after I lost two evenings to yet more concerts:cool: (I have a broad music taste:smiling4:), the rest of the weeks free time was spent at sanding, filling and sanding the wings:upside:.
Apart from one fault on my part, I let part of the lower starboard wing slip during curing:rolling:, the gaps on the various parts tested ones filling skills.
It fun to sort of re-scribe the lost panel-lines again, better to hone the skills on a cheap model like this and have more success on the expensive ones later on.
As can be seen enough to correct:
Wing tips were a piece of work too as they were too thick, so sanding them back in shape took some patience and time…

Not complaining at all, known by heart it’s all part of the hobby:tongue-out3:.
Finished the weekend by attaching the wings and tail, after some pre-sanding was needed and when dry a big seam on the bottom awaits.
Pretty big now too, have been building smaller ones this year till this one so have to get used to this scale again:smiling::
Started on the props and they need filler too, especially on one of the hubs as it is a bit misshapen:rolling:...:
Thanks for looking in and have a great week.
Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some nice progress there Fernando.You have great patience with the filling and sanding .
For us armour modellers we can hide anything with mud but on a plane it's there for all to see .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Fernando, all that prep work will pay off when you get the paint down