Fernando's little Mustang, Airfix P-51D 1/72

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi everyone,

Even though the bench is full because the que to the AB booth I started work on this little gem:upside::
20191217_122935_resized.jpg
An Eduard set for the office to enhance the look:
20191217_122856_resized.jpg
20191217_123040_resized.jpg
Originally planned as a follow on to the starter-set GB, I couldn’t make it in time then.
Had been on the top of the stash quietly whispering build me, build me…:nerd:

The past evening were spent on the office and its etch, a coat of VJ71.010 interior green as a base was prayed on, ending in this:
20191223_165221_resized.jpg
20191223_165307_resized.jpg
A little wash and some detail painting to finish the interior work, then its time to close it up.
Test fit has shown a small gap to fill between the fuselage halves, nothing too serious but going for the nmf box-art version so all is very visible.

Thanks for looking in and have a Merry Christmas!
Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando you too mate.
As we have come to expect, excellent work on that office, I can just about see the amount of work you have managed.:smiling3:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Fernando beautiful so far love these 1/72 planes now I think I’m addictive to them

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Evening all,

Thanks guys appreciated :thumb2: :thumb2: , add some AM, build it carefully and you’re bound to have a model for a show:cool:.

Managed to get it ready for paint during the week and even adding some extras too:smiling4:, found the moulded guns a bit off, so added replacements of 0,6mm brass tube:
20191225_212904_resized.jpg
Could be better though as a couple were off centre and I had some CA mess to contend with, must be the smaller scale…
The aerial was a miss-mould so I used a scrap bit of card to fashion a replacement:
20191226_094950_resized.jpg
Brake lines on the legs from 0.3mm brass wire:
20191226_185249_resized.jpg
Filler for the seams on and ready for masking now:
20191226_185152_resized.jpg
Gave a coat of VJ black primer first to all the bits, followed by two coats of VJ 71.063 silver:
20191227_184525_resized.jpg
20191228_142602_resized.jpg
Going to let this have a good dry for a day or two as I found out with another build the humid weather affects Vallejo dry time adversely…
Then some panels are getting a different shade, first attempt but that’s the point of this build for me (and fiddle with small etch too:nerd:)

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Buddy,

You get a few days off and just go crazy with the builds!!! I really love all the little details you add. Back to work yet???

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
Great looking kit. That cockpit is stunning especially being so small. That silver finish is very nice. I like the Vallejo metallics but do agree that extra drying time is sensible.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very good Fernando. I had the same trouble with Vallejo aluminium on my Mustang - stayed tacky to the touch for a few days.
Pete

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi all,

Steven, thanks the prep-work underneath the coat paid off as these metallic paints show all too good:thumb2:.
Allen, thanks buddy:thumb2:, was nice to have three weeks moggling and build away till the eyes hurt:nerd:.
This was my last week, back to work on Monday, will be a pita to get up at 5am again:sad:
Jim, thank you, the Eduard set really was worth it for an open office display:thumb2:.
First time I used their metallics on such an area and happy it’s also easier to correct with hand painting as opposed to Alclad:smiling:.
Peter, yes something in the formula as opposed to the regular modelair, thanks :thumb2: .

Although my main focus of the week was some others, this little one didn’t miss some booth time.

Repainted the wings and rudder to aluminium, kept the gun-bays silver and the red and blue was put on too.
For the red I gave a coat of white first as Vallejo red is quite translucent and the white makes it easier to cover.
The blue was from Gunze H5, even though a gloss it dried superfast and gave a nice covering on the silver body:
20200104_144840_resized.jpg
20200104_144901_resized.jpg
Had to repaint the spinner silver as the initial blue coat was to dark due to the black underneath, first time I use this colour and found a neat way to get metallic blue this way too, nice for the GT-R in the stash:thinking:

Now just have to give it some gloss and it’s on to the decals:hugging-face:.

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Fernando,
That silver and blue scheme is looking very sharp, I’ll have to get myself some of that Vallejo silver :nerd:
great work so far, hope the decals play nicely!

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Afternoon,

Si, thanks:thumb2: the silver and aluminium is just the regular Model Air paint, heard that their metallic line is even better.
Jim, me too great that Airfix chose this version :smiling4: , thanks:thumb2:.
Ralph, thanks:thumb2:.

Got the decals on today and apart from the top insignia all went on without a hitch, box says printed by Cartograf so no surprise there.
The top one had to fold around an aileron hinge so a couple of rounds of Microsol were needed:
20200111_140601_resized.jpg
20200111_140619_resized.jpg
Also applied all the stencils as indicated and save for the ones on the top wing most are so small they are invisible:smiling5:.
Some details like the wheels and guns to paint next, then on to the weathering:smiling:.

Thanks for looking in.
Fernando

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking fantastic Fernando , the Eduard set really lifts the cockpit . The paint job is looking sharp , by all accounts this new airfix mustang is a superb bit of tooling , it certainly looks it , cheers tony