Fernando's Tamiya 1/35 Stug IIIB

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Afternoon all,

Bob, Andy, John and Bob, thanks guys:thumb2:.
Andy, I’ve only did a pre-shade on darker colours a few times before but it disappears each time so highlights is the way for me for now:smiling:.
Bob, hope your painting went well too:thumb2:.

Progress on this one didn’t stay slow during the holidays either, after the gloss coats it was decal time:hugging-face:.
Only the white L-markings on the fenders needed some extra MicroSol to conform to the surface the others went on very easily and not so much to apply(one of the things I love of an AFV).

A dark brown wash for the crevasses and panel-lines, followed by some red-brown chipping on the exposed ridges done with a piece of foam.
Gave all a coat of matt varnish to seal in and here he is:
20200104_145152_resized.jpg
20200104_145209_resized.jpg
20200104_145231_resized.jpg
Good that the highlights show well with the matt varnish on:smiling4:.

Initially I sprayed the tracks gun-metal but found that too light so a couple coats of metallic-black were put on instead.
Highlights of steel were dry-brushed on the contact surfaces during a drive and a couple of matt coats to seal it in here too:
20200104_145323_resized.jpg
Stug commander got his colours too, uniform mostly Tamiya field grey with a dark brown wash, his face and hands were done with Ammo paints:
20200104_150007_resized.jpg
Just have to get the tracks on, some dusting and maybe a touch-up here and there to finish this Tammy gem:smiling:.
Fernando.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Fernando
Bit late to the party so I'll sit on the back row. Great progress. Your paint job is really nice.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Fernando, esp like those tow cables on the rear deck .:thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovin your work Fernando. I have had bad experiences of VJ primer but never used the Red Brown one. How do you get on with it??

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Afternoon all,

Bob, thank you:thumb2: at least you got me building one for the GB, maybe more will find their way to the bench this year or beyond…:thinking:
Ian and Jim, thanks guys :thumb2: .
John, the cables are simply Tamiya XF-56 brushed on with A.mig 1005 washed on, thanks:thumb2:.
Steve, thank you:thumb2:, apart from a spot here and there that didn’t cover in the first coat on the tracks it went on pretty well, just like the other primers of Vallejo.
Mind you that I almost never wash the parts or clean the surfaces before spraying, also I thin the primer a bit 10 drops primer to 3 drops of Vallejo thinner 71.361, works quite well my Ultra 0.4mm setup at 20psi pressure.

Well got the tracks on and tacked them secure with small drops of CA, only found out that the right side seemed longer:rolling:
Too late to correct now, must have miscounted during assembly and oversaw it during the test fit too.
Oh well, a thin coat of muddy brown on the tracks and running gear to get a little dusty look and I’m calling thin one finished:
20200111_112050_resized.jpg
20200111_112108_resized.jpg
Sat on the bench for a week like this and only this morning the sun showed its face so it was photo time, more at the completed section.

Thanks to Bob for organizing this GB and this was a joy to build even with the Fruils:smiling4:.
Fernando